Visiting North Carolina this week. Where can I go metal detecting?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving down tomorrow from Maine. I have a wedding to attend on Saturday. But my girlfriend is a bridesmaid in it. So I’ll have a lot of downtime to myself Thursday/Friday. it seems that all beaches are off limits in the state? So I’m looking for any locations/sites I could metal detect legally at. Or a hunting buddy who already has a permission or property. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link you can explore to get a general idea of laws in NC. MDHTALK - North Carolina Metal Detecting Law & Regulations

In general I've had no issues in public areas but some counties, like Forsythe around Winston-Salem are off limits unless your on private land. As to State Parks and beaches its the usual No Detecting Allowed due to the antiquities law but I know people get away with it on the beaches near resorts. Open school yards can be worked but if asked you'll have to have permission~ seldom happens and usually because of nosy neighbors. If confronted be polite and simply leave.

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for the quick response Ddancer. Seems like it’s not quite as strict as I thought. I was planning on making some day trips into Virginia. Because I thought it was so frowned upon in North Carolina. So what do you mean by public places? Smaller public parks that aren’t state parks? I’ll be staying in the Cary area if that helps. Is that in one of those bad counties you mentioned? Are you familiar with the Cary area? Or anyone else viewing this but not replying.. hehe. I’m open to any and all suggestions, info, tips, site ideas, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread