What's new

War nickels

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
I understand that silver coins are legal to melt, but how about war nickels since pennies and nickels are currently illegal?
 
Upvote 0
quiksilver said:
I understand that silver coins are legal to melt, but how about war nickels since pennies and nickels are currently illegal?

You answered your own question. Pennies and inckels are illegal to melt (For now).
 
jrf30 said:
quiksilver said:
I understand that silver coins are legal to melt, but how about war nickels since pennies and nickels are currently illegal?

You answered your own question. Pennies and inckels are illegal to melt (For now).

I never thought of it that way before, I knew it was illegal to melt pennies and nickels, but always in the context of copper/nickel recovery. Maybe that is one other reason that war nickels trade at a significant discount to their silver value as compared to 90% coins, besides the increased refining cost.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom