What's new

Water and Beach Detector

Digginman

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,569
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I do alot of camping along the rivers and lakes of Virginia. I am planning a trip to Myrtle Beach next summer. I need a versatile water detector. I won't be diving, just wading. I know of several swimming holes, etc, locally. I've never hunted in water.

Suggestions/advice on what I need, etc. Remember, I am a true novice.

Thanks,

DM
 
Upvote 0
If you can afford it, buy a Minelab Excalibur. $1095 new I think. I bought mine used on ebay this year for $685 shipped to me.
 
Naturally the Minelab Excalibur in either 800 or 1000 is the best for water in my opinion. It is deep and has fantastic discrimination where it can still sound off on a gold ring and not the nail on top of it. You will dig pull tabs as this is where 90% of the gold rings will be too.

Other good detectors are Tesoro's Tiger Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Fisher 1280. I can't recommend the Fisher CZ20 any more as Fisher does not repair them anymore. It's still a good detector till you need it fixed.

You can always use a land detector that can be hip mounted where you wear waders an keep the detector high and dry. This way you can do double duty with it as water detectors on land are heavy. You will need a long handled scoop of stainless steel. The cheap ones bend out of shape easily. You can get the scoop from http://www.reillystreasuredgold.com/

You can learn more on water searching at thegoldenolde.com/

Let us know how you do and good luck,
sandman
 
Digginman,

Like the sandman and bscofield, I swear to the excalibur. I use to own a beach hunter and a Surfmaster PI Plus and there's nothin wrong with ownin either one or models mentioned by the sandman but the excalibur performs........ 8)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom