Well that's a first. 90+ year old lightbulb dug....And it works!

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170326_210126.jpg. ...Not sure how this did not break. There even other bottles toughing it. Tough bulbs back then I guess.

Upvote 26
Light bulbs are awesome finds. I burned up a filiment in one, be careful. It worked for a minute and then zap. Great find. Some have a mark on the glass piece that holds the filiment, some are etched with a marks on the glass.

This was because the "gas" was gone.

I have dug appx 60 whole light bulbs over the years but the filament was broken in all of them. Congrats on this one !!!! That is bada$$

Congratulations on pulling out one that still works. My brother in-law had a similar bulb working for years in a desk lamp. The secret of longevity was reapplication of the soldier on the end of the bulb.
Everytime a bulb is turned on it wears the soldier contact down until the element wire is exposed, when that happens the bulb burns out.
One only has to look at a cheap bulb and a better made bulb to see the thickness of the soldier.

I'll bet the glass on that sucker is really thick. It probably costs $0.25 cents a minute on the meter to run!

It really is a special find. Something that fragile to last what it's been through.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned though, maybe, it had failed and that's what led it to be thrown away.
As anyone who has had a headlight burn out in their car may know. It is possible to make a temporary fix by
turning the switch on and then to bump the headlight a few times. Sometimes, that broken filament will swing
around due to the vibration and touch the rest of the filament. Then, it is possible for it to sort of spot-weld itself.
Effectively fixing the bulb.
See what happens when I have too much time to think? It's all true by the way. But, never mind all that, it really is
a neat thing to be able to recover in that condition!
WTG!

Yes. Could have some serious value. Amazing.

That shows what Quality was made in America. Lets bring it back!

don't turn it on again....turning it on and off is what burns out a bulb, even those new (lasts 50,000 hours) LED's will burn out if you do that.

"[FONT=&quot]The metallic filament of an incandescent bulb works by resisting the flow of electricity. This resistance causes the filament to get very hot, to the point that it gives off both heat and light. Over many heating and cooling cycles, the material of the filament becomes increasingly brittle."[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back