What's new

What are these?

Guest 1551

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
804
Reaction score
890
Golden Thread
0
I used to know, but I forgot [emoji23] I always find them. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530658267.057177.webp
 
Looks to me but not sure to be musical instrument reeds. I'm sure someone on the forum will help.
 
These are the flex osteoderms to a nine-banded armadillo...the part of the shell that allows the armadillo to roll up and protect itself.
 
Here's a photo comparing some different armadillo osteoderms:
SAVRM79.webp
To the far left is a modern nine banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) flex osteoderm (top) and normal osteoderm (bottom). To the right of that is a larger extinct cousin of the modern armadillo from the same genus, Dasypus bellus. The next osteoderms are from the giant armadillo, Holmesina. The far right and largest is Holmesina septentrionalis, and the smaller of the two giant armadillo osteoderms is Holmesina floridanus.
 
Here's a photo comparing some different armadillo osteoderms:
View attachment 1609226
To the far left is a modern nine banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) flex osteoderm (top) and normal osteoderm (bottom). To the right of that is a larger extinct cousin of the modern armadillo from the same genus, Dasypus bellus. The next osteoderms are from the giant armadillo, Holmesina. The far right and largest is Holmesina septentrionalis, and the smaller of the two giant armadillo osteoderms is Holmesina floridanus.

Perfect! Thank you so much man! Very helpful :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom