What does 64 Civil War buttons look like? Had a great hunt this past weekend

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to attend the JGD relic hunt this past weekend and while it was a tough hunt, there were plenty of relics to be found.

I hunted hard for what I got, and while I did not find the amazing find, I did recover a ton of targets. I ended the hunt (3 days) with 64 U.S. Civil War buttons (GS Eagles mostly) though a few Eagle I's a rough Eagle A and a few underwear buttons. 90% of the eagle buttons held together, though about 8-10 fell apart. About 14 of the buttons were coat buttons, the rest were cuffs and a few (3-4) underwear buttons (these were in nice shape for tin buttons). I also managed 10 civil war bullets (2 fired, 7 dropped and 1 hammered flattened bullet). A few other odds and ends included a nice period Axe Head, what I believe is a pewter water purifier, kepi buckle, knapsack hook (that has been adjusted, pressed and filed to a point for some reason) brass buckle (probably haversack), mess knife and a few artillery fragments and iron canister shot. I did dig a broken bullseye canteen (not pictured) that I will try and reconstruct as I have about 50% of it.

Also pictured is the iron rowl to a spur and two buttons that the face fell off exposing the cardboard insert still intact...very cool

This was a fun place to hunt, though tough with briers. On day 1, I dug 27 buttons out of one hole and recovered another 10-12 the following morning! On day 2 and 3 I spent time digging pits and surface hunting a nice winter camp recovering the rest of the buttons. I managed some bullets mixed in both sites and randomly hunting.

I saw a good number of nice finds made and felt good about what I found as I seemed to have the buttons zeroed in as. Nothing amazing, but will take that quantity any day.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1,011 KB · Views: 228
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    507.3 KB · Views: 164