What is a simple to use, quality detector?

nh10ring

Aug 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used a metal detector since using my old White Coinmaster back in the 1980's. I loved that thing. It was simple to use and I could easily discriminate certain things I didn't want to pick up. I am not looking for buried treasure chests full of gold. Usually looking for coins 1-6 inches under the surface. Also look for arrows I lose after missing the target. Weight isn't an issue. Money is though. A while ago, I bought my kids a bounty hunter tracker iv, and I hate it. It doesn't discriminate anything. I don't need fancy gadgets or want to read a science book on how to use the newest machines. I am looking for a quality detector as simple and reliable as the old White Coin Master. Turn it on, set the sensitivity and discrimination knobs and have fun digging. Is there such a thing on the modern market?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Simplex.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can run the Fisher F-75 on a "close & play" simple default and it is still a kick-arse detector even then.

In fact, I usually do a factory reset when heading out to make sure I haven't left something punched in that I don't need.

Shame Tesoro closed shop. They were pretty simple but great.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own one but I have seen and watched videos on the Minelab vanquish line and they look pretty user friendly.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still have my Coinmaster! It is a great machine! You can still occasionally find them on eBay.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 300 and Ace 400, and White's Treasuremaster are all low priced easy to use detectors that will get the job done. This is based on my experiences only but I'm sure there are a few others that are also capable of doing what you want in a detector.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 300 and Ace 400, and White's Treasuremaster are all low priced easy to use detectors that will get the job done. This is based on my experiences only but I'm sure there are a few others that are also capable of doing what you want in a detector.

Tool rental places usually have tools that are simple for inexperienced rental customers to use. When I saw my neighbor using a detector, I went over to see what he was doing and found that he was using a rental Ace 300.

There are probably still some NIB old stock Tesoros around. Of course, there would be no warranty coverage, but then again, I never had any issue with any of the Tesoros I've owned since the late 1980's. I'm fond of my two Tesoro Cibola machines and Golden Sabre Plus.

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Sounds to me like you gave up on the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV too quickly. Go back and read/reread your manual. A sensitivity setting of 1 o'clock with a discrimination setting of 11 o'clock with the toggle set to "tones" will have you and your kids finding coins etc. in no time. People like to knock Bounty Hunter as "toys", but in the right hands it's a highly capable little machine. My girlfriend got one about a year and half a go to (occasionally) hunt with me. She is far from an avid digger yet has an impressive Great Finds-to-Outings ratio.
You mentioned coins in the 1-6" depth range. Truth is, MOST coins will be found in this depth range no matter when they were lost. Add in the "halo effect" on deeper coins and you still have a machine there that will sniff them out. Remember, these things aren't magic wands.... You still have to consistently use it in places where people have been and get to know your machine and what it is telling you inside and out. Also, SCRUB don't hover the coil. Hope to see you posting next in the Today's Finds section here.
HH
-spyguy

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I should be a spoke person for minelab.

The vanquish line in my opinion is hard to beat for the price.

My kids are digging up silver with the vanquish. My one son has never detected before.

I come home daily to see paper towels lining the counter with old coins.

He dug a 1844 upper bank of canada token the other day. Vanquish hit it at 10 inches with no problem.

Cant go wrong with the vanquish line up.

Good luck

Jer

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Simplex.- Best bang for the buck IMO. I moved from Whites DFX to a Simplex and it was great!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be a spoke person for minelab.

The vanquish line in my opinion is hard to beat for the price.

My kids are digging up silver with the vanquish. My one son has never detected before.

I come home daily to see paper towels lining the counter with old coins.

He dug a 1844 upper bank of canada token the other day. Vanquish hit it at 10 inches with no problem.

Cant go wrong with the vanquish line up.

Good luck

Jer

Paper towels by the sink, filled with finds, NICE!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting