TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, the marking on your padlock says S & Co. -- for its manufacturer, Sargent & Company. To see a photo of a non-excavated example of your lock, go to the following link at antique-padlocks.com and scroll down to the 11th lock on that page. Click on the photo there to view an enlarged version. It dates from approximately the late-very-1800s into the very-early 1900s.

Upvote 6
OP
OP
D

Dave_76

Greenie
Mar 30, 2022
Union, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the marking on your padlock says S & Co. -- for its manufacturer, Sargent & Company. To see a photo of a non-excavated example of your lock, go to the following link at antique-padlocks.com and scroll down to the 11th lock on that page. Click on the photo there to view an enlarged version. It dates from approximately the late-very-1800s into the very-early 1900s.
Thank you for the information. My wife, two children and I moved into a farm house that is on land that has been a homestead for well over a 130 year's. It's about 4000 ft up and 7 miles from town. The snow has just melted and the ground is thawing enough to dig. Among the 10,200 cut nails, I have found plenty of pieces dating around that time period. I know of two old homesteads that only an orchard remains and was told that this was a Native American camp site many years. I am so excited to be able to detect here and will definitely post what I uncover.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread