What is the most accurate way to check for losses from a highbanker?

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have heard of everything from a gold pan to a concrete tub to a sluice extension with different matting being used to check for losses from a highbanker.

What do you think is the most accurate way to check for losses from a highbanker - specifically - which type of catch device?

Upvote 0

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pan the tailings for a spot check. If you want more than a spot check have someone, with a different machine, run some of your tailings

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can pan your tailings but any gold lost will be mixed with a lot of waste. Any samples tested there will be of much less values than your bank run material

You can set up a secondary sluice downstream of the main to check for gold but it must be of equal or greater efficiently than your main or it wont tell you much.

I would try to do a clean up of only the bottom 3 riffles of your sluice. If gold is getting all the way down there then it's probably getting all the way out too.

OP
OP
PickAxeCA

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can pan your tailings but any gold lost will be mixed with a lot of waste. Any samples tested there will be of much less values than your bank run material

You can set up a secondary sluice downstream of the main to check for gold but it must be of equal or greater efficiently than your main or it wont tell you much.

I would try to do a clean up of only the bottom 3 riffles of your sluice. If gold is getting all the way down there then it's probably getting all the way out too.

Good idea to test only the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 or your last sluice, Bonaro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread