✅ SOLVED What kind of antique silver box is this?

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find it myself (i wish), came from a estate sale. I ended up buying due to a number of things i find interesting with it. Given to Edward Hutchins Bellasis at the time Lt. Colonel in the Bombay Army in India, which at the time was under the control of the East Indian Company. He ended up as a major general and his father was John Bellasis, Major General as well. Some interesting history there, and it's well made, hallmarked for sterling silver, likely London 1829 or 1808 and made by a silversmith named Allen Dominy. Another thing i found interesting with it is it's condition, looks like it has spent some time under water? The lock mechanism has rusted away and the compass has lived a hard life. The box also has quite a few dents.

What i'm wondering is, what did it contain or what was it's purpose? It wouldn't be large enough for a snuff box, right? It doesn't have that 'grille' which is found on vinaigrette's either and shows no signs of ever having something like that. Toothpick box? Anyone has a clue as to what this is?

6.1cm By 2.5cm. 1.1cm High, weighs 37 grams. Photos taken in hand to give an impression of the size.

IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2953.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although looks almost too small...
Perhaps a snuff box of some sort ? ? ?

A small sterling silver bosun's whistle... silver as well... with chain would be probable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Interesting! That thought never crossed my mind! If so, perhaps the whistle in the larger compartment and the chain in smaller one in front.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! That could very well be, considering the military connection as well as the connection to the East Indian Company.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW... I must say...
Regardless what this turns out to be...

This is one killer piece. Super cool.

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mathmatical tools /drafting tool for engineering , compass and ruler is my thoughts

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a snuffbox, no doubt.
Recordanza = Remembrance

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like this when new it would have looked on the inside

Attachments

• 0 (2).jpg
    0 (2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gentlemen! And i'm glad you like it, it's a neat little piece and i couldn't resist buying it!

I thought about snuff box, and i have seen some Georgian/Victorian snuff boxes around the same size, but not with the front compartment. If so, perhaps for the spoon? Though, i kinda still believed this would be slightly to small for a snuff box at only 1,1 cm high. Interesting theory on the engineering tools!

Attached a photo of it next to a snuff box, likely no point in comparing them as they are totally different, but it's the only other 'snuff' box i own. Way older though, it was owned Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell and dates from the mid 17th century, 1650s, likely painted by Samuel Cooper. That one is huge compared, but a different style and period of course.

snuff.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehehe, a friend owns a couple of nice documented Viking Axes and what's left of a Viking sword found here in Norway as well as some jewelry. I'll ask him if i can post photos of some of the stuff he owns.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread