What's new

What Material is this made out of?

Georgivs

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2018
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
2,321
Golden Thread
0
Location
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this point a while back while detecting along the beach, it was just sitting at the high tide line on the surface waiting for me to find it. I've never seen a form like this in the south, but what really strikes me is the material.

20180818_185229.webp
 
Flint would be my guess.
 
Upvote 0
I'm up on midwestern flint types but not so much with eastern varieties. I've never seen that stuff before. If you must know what it is you could probably contact the Buffalo Museum of Science in NY. They have the John D. Holland lithic library. "Jack" Holland travelled the US obtaining flint samples for years. They are housed at the museum. I travelled with him two summers obtaining samples in IL and IN. There are hundreds of different material types in the US. It's mind boggling. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can you tell us where you found it exactly? What state, type of location, etc.

May help figure it out...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom