What tools to dig with{???}

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
My Favorite Tool has always been an
Approximate 22" WILCOX Trawel,
Especially for Relic Hunting.
because I hate Buggering my Knuckels
in deep holes.

But because of the site I am doing
now is Very dry & Hard as a Rock,
and mainly coins,
I started using this.

13" long 1 1/8 " Wide & goes through hard
ground like a hot Knife through butter

It looks like a modified dandylion digger. Did you buy it like that or make it yourself?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If he bought it, it must have been at a specialty shop. I especially like the custom, black shiny wrapping on the handle. Wonder how much extra that was? :D

Daryl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
jeff of pa said:
My Favorite Tool has always been an
Approximate 22" WILCOX Trawel,
Especially for Relic Hunting.
because I hate Buggering my Knuckels
in deep holes.

But because of the site I am doing
now is Very dry & Hard as a Rock,
and mainly coins,
I started using this.

13" long 1 1/8 " Wide & goes through hard
ground like a hot Knife through butter

It looks like a modified dandylion digger. Did you buy it like that or make it yourself?

Bought it from a Whites Dealer at the Bloomsburg Fair
several years ago.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
If he bought it, it must have been at a specialty shop. I especially like the custom, black shiny wrapping on the handle. Wonder how much extra that was? :D

Daryl

:D I do that to all my diggers.
Did you ever get a Blister on your Palm from pushing all day ?

I wrap foam around the Handles & on top,
then wrap with Black tape.
It has a Red Handle

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
BioProfessor said:
I learned something interesting about knees and knee replacement. You only get one as of now. They don't have the technology to replace a replaced knee - hips yes, knees no. So if you start thinking about it, just remember they give it 10 years and then ask how you would like you knee to be locked into place. Not good.

Daryl

from one fat guy to what may be a few other fat guys... loose weight! i know several people with knee problems that are overweight. i know only one skinny guy with knee problems and he pretty much brought them upon himself by jumping off too many high surfaces. see a pattern here?

back to the topic.. i use a small metal garden spade on tough soil or grass, and a plastic garden spade for soft soil. i havent had a chance to work on using a large knife to retreive stuff. wish someone would show me but havent met any other detectorist in my area yet. the idea of being able to carry a digging tool/self defense tool apeals to me.

when i dig i usually do it by getting down on one knee like someone whos proposing marriage. this is a good compromise for me since i can get up fairly quick if i need to. when you hunt in a big city it's always good to be able to get up quick!

R

robert roy

Well, bad knees or not, I went out today to the Danville Park.
Turns out to be one of the few County Parks here you can MD in. Took my Ace 250 and
had a nice 2 1/2 hours digging. All I got was a penny and a dime at one to two inches.
The rain had softened up the ground considerably, but I noticed that the little junk trawl Garrett sent me as a digging tool is already bending this way and that.

Still something good came out of it all. A of the grounds keeper was there to open up the park and told me he used to be into metal detecting and did I want to buy his MXT for $300. I may take him up on it, but he has had it for three years. One of those years it has been sitting locked away in the garage.

Regards

Robert Roy

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Just a little biology lesson about blisters. They form when you separate two layers of your skin and the area fills with "water." Many people seem to think they should break the blister. That is not the best thing to do. Unless there is something else going on, the "inside" of the blister is sterile and the liquid is there to cushion the area. If you break the blister, you allow bacteria to get inside. Not a good thing. So unless you just have to, just let the blister be. It will slowly absorb the "water" and heal itself.

Daryl

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi all
Here is my digging tool, a Dutch army trenching tool £4.50-$9 from army surplus store.
tag 017.jpg
tag 018.jpg
tag 020.jpg

24ins long open, 17ins folded.
Dave.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a medical supply store and get some cane or crutch tips to put on the handle.. You can also use if it fits a small sink stopper and cut off the nub and the chain ring.. Works well..
Ray

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
:) I use the Lesche digger 1st thing is got o a bike shop and buy a new soft handle bar grip and replace the hard plastic one that comes on it!
Get rid of the Frisbee and carry a small towel hanging out of your pocket. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread