What's new

What type of ammo is this?

Henry2

Full Member
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
230
Reaction score
48
Golden Thread
0
I found this round today, what's odd is it is 1 piece, there is no actual bullet. The round is in bad shape so I can't see any stamp marks on it but it is a rimmed round almost like 762X54 ammo. The photos are kinda crappy sorry about that. I was thinking it was a blank but there is no crimping on the end the whole thing is solid :dontknow:

I found this in a school yard, I did find some items here in the past which were linked to the National Guard so maybe that might help you guys.

SS850723.jpg

SS850721.jpg

SS850719.jpg

SS850725.jpg
 
It looks like a blank round, probably used for training.
 
Upvote 0
It's most likely a blank for use in a machine gun or automatic rifle. Many of them will not cycle properly with a crimped cartridge because they tend to jam up on the feed ramp, also they can potentially damage the chamber and barre if they lose little bits of brass. These type have a little red cardboard disk plug in them, and are shaped to mimic the profile of a live round to aid in feeding properly.

What's the headstamping on it say? I can likely tell you who made it and when.
 

Attachments

  • 762mm_M82.gif
    762mm_M82.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0
Agree I like The real Ones my self!!! Firing the 30 and 50 cal With tracers Was Better !!! Chug!!!
 
Upvote 0
NOLA_Ken said:
What's the headstamping on it say? I can likely tell you who made it and when.

I can't see any headstamp on it, around the primer is pretty much toast, maybe corrosive ammo. It is possible it might be the kind of blank you are talking about, I just can't see any opening on the end.
 
Upvote 0
I think I am seeing a rimmed cartridge while machine gun and military rifle rounds are mostly of the so called rimless variety. The Russians learned early on that rimmed cases did not work well in machine guns. Even in bolt action rifles , rimmed cartridges must be placed in the "clip" with one rim in front of the other for them to feed 100% reliably. And the pictures are so blury I cannot make out any of the finer details of the cartridge in question. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty, you are absolutely right about the rim, I didn't notice it for some reason. The most common rimmed cartridge I would expect to see in a blank round would likely be .303 Enfield. Need a headstamp to identify it, and good measurements.
 
Upvote 0
With some measurements I imagine we could very well ID the cartridge case. .303 sounds probable if it is a military cartridge. Does it still have part of some kind of plug sticking out of the case mouth? (Looks like part something is sticking out). And is the primer dented as if it had been fired? Monty
 
Upvote 0
It is a blank. When firing them there was not enough pressure to engage the action on a semi so you needed to manually "cock" the rifle. If you had a "Blank Adapter" you were home free.
 
Upvote 0
.303 enfield or maybe 7.62X54R Russian blank round, or solid training round? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Just looking at the blurry pic, it looks a bit like a .30-30, but I doubt a blank like that has ever been made for the .30-30.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom