🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What was this structure?

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've dug around this site for some time, turning up mostly mid to late 1800s items of all sorts (bottles, eating utensils, marbles, pieces of china, horse tack, etc.).

The stone as you see it is largely untouched since I've known of it. The foundation only appears to be roughly 15' extending lengthwise from the front/crumbling side of the stone pile and roughly 10' wide. My first inclination is that rocks were part of a fireplace of some sorts, but that's a wild guess.

Any help on identifying what this site might have been would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190105 - 02(Home).jpg
    20190105 - 02(Home).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 256
  • 20190105 - 01 (Home) (1).jpg
    20190105 - 01 (Home) (1).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 121

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I noticed there is full bricks in the mix of stone. So it probably was a substantial home at one time instead of a smokehouse or springhouse. (Just from doing cellar hole sites for years in my neck of the woods)Nails outside the main house footprint could be another structure, or where the demolition of the main structure was done. You can get a sense of what time frame from dating the square nails as well.
You mentioned the glass etc. you've dug up is a good indication that they lived there for sometime.

Have you dug any coinage?

In a heavy nail/iron it's hard to pick out the keepers. I don't know how the AT Max preforms in such sites, but I have tried to a few different ways of getting past the iron. Disc. it out, or to where it chirps, like was stated, and opening it right up and listening to the higher toned iron signals. Yes one is digging iron, but also there's a reward mixed in.

How big is the creek? Just wondering because I have found items that have dropped while getting water over the years of habitation.
Sites like this are nice, a place to pick away at for years, challenging ones ability.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I noticed there is full bricks in the mix of stone. So it probably was a substantial home at one time instead of a smokehouse or springhouse. (Just from doing cellar hole sites for years in my neck of the woods)Nails outside the main house footprint could be another structure, or where the demolition of the main structure was done. You can get a sense of what time frame from dating the square nails as well.
You mentioned the glass etc. you've dug up is a good indication that they lived there for sometime.

Have you dug any coinage?

In a heavy nail/iron it's hard to pick out the keepers. I don't know how the AT Max preforms in such sites, but I have tried to a few different ways of getting past the iron. Disc. it out, or to where it chirps, like was stated, and opening it right up and listening to the higher toned iron signals. Yes one is digging iron, but also there's a reward mixed in.

How big is the creek? Just wondering because I have found items that have dropped while getting water over the years of habitation.
Sites like this are nice, a place to pick away at for years, challenging ones ability.
The creek isn't very substantial, but I have found a few scattered items up and down it. No coins yet, but I'm still holding out hope.

The periodic digging overtime is exactly what I'm doing. I've been grinding away at it for a few years now, but just recently stopped to wonder what kind of structure it actually was.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread