What's new

Wheat Cent Cleaning?

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
1
Location
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Did some hunting this past weekend with my brother in Deridder La. We hit a large field where the old high school sat. I'm excited as I found my 1rst goal, a wheat cent. Only problem is that of all the places it could be...its corroded on half of the date. I have tried peroxide and soap/ warm water. Far as I can tell from the blown up photo is that its a 1936 D. I'm not at all concerned with damage to the coin..........any suggestions on how to make the date readable? Perhaps electrolysis? Thanks for any and all input! Shane
 

Attachments

  • labh 009 (Medium).webp
    labh 009 (Medium).webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 787
  • labh 011 (Medium).webp
    labh 011 (Medium).webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 787
  • labh 009 (Medium).webp
    labh 009 (Medium).webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 788
  • labh 011 (Medium).webp
    labh 011 (Medium).webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 791
from my experience electrolysis doesn't do a great job on copper. sometimes it makes things worse. sounds like you already tried what i would try. sometimes that's just the way it goes and you never really can read the date. i have a bunch of old coppers that i would love to know the dates but.......no dice! ::) for what its worth it looks like 36 D to me.
 
instant potatoes
 
BB's and a rock tumbler.
 
Sometimes you can bring out the date with the erasers that fit over a pencil eraser.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom