connorghabra
Jr. Member
I recently found a few items at an 1800s homesite that I would appreciate any info on:
_________________________________________________________________________________
1.) Button (1") - Found at a farm outside of Lancaster, PA that dates to 1868 according to an old Atlas, but I am pretty sure that farm had activity way earlier. This is the first small old button I've found. Wondering if anyone recognizes the pattern or can confirm how old it is. 1" wide. (The back has thick dirt/rust build-up, so I'll clean all that up with electrolysis to get a peek at the back.)
_________________________________________________________________________________
2.) Possible Button? (1.75") - Found at the same farm as the button above, but it's so worn and corroded that I am unsure what it is. It feels too sturdy to be trash but too thin to be an old coin. I noticed a dark spot near the center on one side where a shank might have been. Also noticed the curve almost patterning on one section of the edge and I'm wondering if it's an old button that had the curved pattern around the entire perimeter but got worn off over time. Any input confirming or denying wether this is an old button would be appreciated.
_________________________________________________________________________________
3.) Plant tag? - Found at the same 1800s farm as the two above items. I think it's a plant tag but am curious how old it is. I don't think they make modern plant tags out of aluminum and struggled to find anything substantial about it online.
_________________________________________________________________________________
4.) Lock piece? - Found at the same site outside of the front doorstep. Stamped "1704 CHESLER". I found info online about J. Chesler & Sons who made locks. Does anyone know what piece of the lock this would have been to and how old it might be? Interesting to me that a small component would have been stamped. Any info is appreciated.
_________________________________________________________________________________
5.) Skeleton Key Age? - Found at a different homesite that showed up on an 1868 atlas, but I'm curious if anyone can confirm if this might have been a house key or a key to something else. Would love any info that can be provided such as narrowing down the date range/confirming age. Below pictures are before and after electrolysis.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I really appreciate anyone that can confirm the identity, age, and/or provide further info for any of the items above.
Thanks so much,
Connor Ghabra
_________________________________________________________________________________
1.) Button (1") - Found at a farm outside of Lancaster, PA that dates to 1868 according to an old Atlas, but I am pretty sure that farm had activity way earlier. This is the first small old button I've found. Wondering if anyone recognizes the pattern or can confirm how old it is. 1" wide. (The back has thick dirt/rust build-up, so I'll clean all that up with electrolysis to get a peek at the back.)
_________________________________________________________________________________
2.) Possible Button? (1.75") - Found at the same farm as the button above, but it's so worn and corroded that I am unsure what it is. It feels too sturdy to be trash but too thin to be an old coin. I noticed a dark spot near the center on one side where a shank might have been. Also noticed the curve almost patterning on one section of the edge and I'm wondering if it's an old button that had the curved pattern around the entire perimeter but got worn off over time. Any input confirming or denying wether this is an old button would be appreciated.
_________________________________________________________________________________
3.) Plant tag? - Found at the same 1800s farm as the two above items. I think it's a plant tag but am curious how old it is. I don't think they make modern plant tags out of aluminum and struggled to find anything substantial about it online.
_________________________________________________________________________________
4.) Lock piece? - Found at the same site outside of the front doorstep. Stamped "1704 CHESLER". I found info online about J. Chesler & Sons who made locks. Does anyone know what piece of the lock this would have been to and how old it might be? Interesting to me that a small component would have been stamped. Any info is appreciated.
_________________________________________________________________________________
5.) Skeleton Key Age? - Found at a different homesite that showed up on an 1868 atlas, but I'm curious if anyone can confirm if this might have been a house key or a key to something else. Would love any info that can be provided such as narrowing down the date range/confirming age. Below pictures are before and after electrolysis.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I really appreciate anyone that can confirm the identity, age, and/or provide further info for any of the items above.
Thanks so much,
Connor Ghabra







