White Classic SL IDX Problem with salt water

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
About eight years ago, I was lucky to win the White Classic SL IDX with the Blue Max 950 coil from ebay.com for $145.00, I sent the detector to Mr. Bill for modifications and was the best $125.00 I every spent!

I have used the White Classic SL IDX in Bucks County, PA, the New Jersey Shore and Florida Beaches. I am very happy with the detector on land and dry beaches. I have found three times my money back. However, I cannot get it to settle down on wet sand or in Salt Water.

Should I be using a different type of coil for the salt water or wet sand and if so, which one should I be using?

Maybe it time to buy another detector just for salt water? I have about $1500 for a new detector. Of course the 65 million dollar question which one?

Thanks for your help!

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to be hunting in the water on salt beaches than I would recommend a good waterproof PI or an excal2 or CZ 21 or maybe a used CTX 3030. If I was going to get a PI for hunting in the water would consider and ATX a sea hunter or a tesoro sands hark etc.

OP
OP
cyperpc

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the information. Happy Hunting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About eight years ago, I was lucky to win the White Classic SL IDX with the Blue Max 950 coil from ebay.com for $145.00, I sent the detector to Mr. Bill for modifications and was the best $125.00 I every spent!

I have used the White Classic SL IDX in Bucks County, PA, the New Jersey Shore and Florida Beaches. I am very happy with the detector on land and dry beaches. I have found three times my money back. However, I cannot get it to settle down on wet sand or in Salt Water.

Should I be using a different type of coil for the salt water or wet sand and if so, which one should I be using?

Maybe it time to buy another detector just for salt water? I have about $1500 for a new detector. Of course the 65 million dollar question which one?

Thanks for your help!

It is a single freq detector, it is not designed for salt water hunting, salt is made up of metal minerals, your detector thinks there is metal aware.

Look for a water proof multi-freq detector or pulse detector.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A single frequency "VLF," or very low frequency metal detector, works extremely well on dry sand and in fresh water. It does not work as well in saltwater, or on wet ocean-water beaches. The VLF metal detector sends 12,000 - 60,000 radio (sine) waves per-second into the ground. When the radio waves hit something conductive - like an iron nail, gold ring, coin or aluminum pulltab, a magnetic field sets up around the object and a particular signal frequency is transmitted back to the detector's receiving coil. VLF metal detectors have the ability to "discriminate," or tell what type of metal they are seeing by "reading" the return signal frequency. An iron nail has a different frequency than a silver coin. The processor in the metal detector knows the difference between the two, and can be set to remain silent when seeing the nail.

However, the radio waves bounce off everything that is conductive in the sand or water. This is why VLF detectors must be "ground balanced" to work effectively in highly mineralized soil, or on highly conductive saltwater beaches. You must tune or adjust the machine to see through the "fog," or white-noise created by the salt and iron in the sand or water. Unfortunately, this leads to a loss of depth and stability with most single frequency VLF detectors.

A pulse induction or, "PI" metal detector, sends out hundreds of electric pulses-per-second, rather than thousands of radio waves. While PI metal detectors do not have the ability to discriminate between different types of metal, their pulses go much deeper than the VLF signal, and eliminate the problem of mineral conductivity. A pulse induction detector measures the decay rate of the electronic pulses it sends out, and looks for anomalies. The strong electronic pulse is not conducted by the salt in the water or the iron in the black sands. Think of a Navy ship "pinging" with its sonar for an enemy submarine. If there is nothing in the water the "ping" just continues on and fades out at the same measured rate. If the submarine is there, the signal decay is interrupted and bounces back to the sonar operator on the ship.

The Multi-frequency VLF, is another option. Many older detectorists like this option because they can discriminate, knocking out iron. They give up some depth, but use larger coils to regain the loss. :skullflag:

OP
OP
cyperpc

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
This is why I said to my wife the I need a new detectors just for the wet salt water sand. Thanks for information, now I can tell her why without just saying because I need one!!

OP
OP
cyperpc

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks I did not know if there was a coil for salt water and with out one this was the problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread