Whites D2 coil vs 6 x 10 DD for MXT Pro or should get both?

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's D2 coil vs 6 x 10 DD for MXT Pro or should get both?

There's nothing better for depth than the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10"+ with that coil and pretty good separation, though the 6x10DD will do better if there's lots of trash. You will lose some depth for sure using the 6x10DD compared to the D2, I almost always use my D2 now because I'm afraid I might miss a real good deep target. I would get both and have the 6x10 in case it gets a little to trashy for the D2, you will be able to get closer to fences as well. You can also nose the 6x10DD coil up to the fence then let it settle down a bit then track lock to go along the fence and the only place that will false is by the post, the 4x6DD will work for this as well but will have less depth than the 6x10DD. This will let you get coins close to the fence where most people miss. HH

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

Wingmaster said it pretty well. I leave my 6X10 coil on my V3i most of the time as the iron is just so thick here. That said, I have found that the D2 coil does very very well in iron so I might start using it more. Clearly it is a bigger coil and will get better depth, but the 6X10 coil on my V3i will probably hit 9"-10" with very little problem.

If you hunt in trash you need to use the 6X10, when the trash is really really bad then use your 4X6 and if the iron or trash isn't unreasonable then go to the D2.

If I was running the MXT Pro I'd use the 6X10 coil a bit more as the separation abilities of the V3i make using the D2 coil not as much of a drawback. I haven't used an MXT pro but have seen many comment on it and many have mentioned that the 6X10 is a must in trash and heavier iron. I would tend to agree and many feel the same about using it on the V3i.

Good luck!
EMS

OP
OP
JardiniMagic

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250

Thanks guys probably also will get the 6x10 also- Gary.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

On my MXT I have, and have used both coils for a few years now. When I hunt coins in Michigan in mild soil I use the 10 inch dd coil for greater depth. However, amazingly to me, the 6 x 10 dd coil gets better depth and fuctions better in very mineralized soils like the soils that I found nuggets in around Placerites north of Rye Patch Reservoir in NV. Both are great coils and both are Whites coils. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions