All Treasure Hunting

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I have a MXT All Pro Detector and as I'm 6' 6" tall I need a longer rod. The tallman rod 500-0242-3 does not appear to be in stock anywhere. My question is along the lines of will a different companies lower rod fit up to the Whites rods? I might have to swap out the Clevis in order to fit my coils.
Bit late seeing this but I used a Whites Tall man rod on my GpX detectors, I used it now on my XTerra 705, fits perfectly and the cam lock does up tight. Its connection area for the coil is narrower so I've buffered it out with two rubber plumbing washers to fit.
As Whites is now taken up by Garrett, maybe they are producing that rod?
You may find a Minelab longer lower shaft for GPXs will work, but they're wider at the coil connection point so im not sure how you'd go about that.
One option is as once was suggested to me, if you have 2 standard ones, cut the extra length you need off of one then using a bit of dowel join it onto the other. You'd need a pretty tough glue or something but the idea I think is sound enough.

OP
OP
L

longknives

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chilli, It looks like Garrett won't be doing much in that department if anything at all. My first thoughts were to epoxy in a dowel as you suggested in order to make that work, but in the end I used a standard middle section from the GMT and added that after the MXT's S rod and then collapsed the lower to fit my height.

All's well that end's well I suppose.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Thanks Chilli, It looks like Garrett won't be doing much in that department if anything at all. My first thoughts were to epoxy in a dowel as you suggested in order to make that work, but in the end I used a standard middle section from the GMT and added that after the MXT's S rod and then collapsed the lower to fit my height.

All's well that end's well I suppose.
Good one. Im surprised really that all companies dont make them for tall people. These days there's plenty of us around. Was a guy here in Oz that used to make them but I think he just got old and stopped last I heard.
I will not part with this whites one that's for sure.
Cheers and good hunting.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good one. Im surprised really that all companies dont make them for tall people. These days there's plenty of us around. Was a guy here in Oz that used to make them but I think he just got old and stopped last I heard.
I will not part with this whites one that's for sure.
Cheers and good hunting.
Maybe easier is measure the lower rod your using now and purchase a carbon fiber rod, then remove the lower coil mount piece/clevis and put it on the new CF rod.. and this was 2011 when I replaced the minelab lower with a whites.

SNAG-0006 (4).jpg
SNAG-0005 (6).jpg

SNAG-0002 (8).jpg

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tubing White's used was from Glasforms which is now part of Avient:

https://www.avient.com/products/adv...asforms-continuous-filament-wound-tubes-poles

Go down the page to the properties table, you want the 0.745-OD tubing. Back when it was just Glasforms this was a stock item you could just call up and buy. Avient seems less inclined to deal with individuals. Another source is Goodwinds which I think is identical (and may actually come from Avient):

https://goodwinds.com/product-category/carbon-fiberglass/fiberglass/filament-wound-epoxy-tubing/

A 65" length is ~$29.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
The tubing White's used was from Glasforms which is now part of Avient:

https://www.avient.com/products/adv...asforms-continuous-filament-wound-tubes-poles

Go down the page to the properties table, you want the 0.745-OD tubing. Back when it was just Glasforms this was a stock item you could just call up and buy. Avient seems less inclined to deal with individuals. Another source is Goodwinds which I think is identical (and may actually come from Avient):

https://goodwinds.com/product-category/carbon-fiberglass/fiberglass/filament-wound-epoxy-tubing/

A 65" length is ~$29.
Good info, thanks. 👍

OP
OP
L

longknives

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect!!!
Thanks for that information, exactly what I was looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread