What's new

Who needs Fed boxes.........

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
...............when you continue to have this kind of luck with coin counter bags, loose halves and loose rolls from banks ?

A bank today, that I stop at every three months , had $286.50 in halves in their coin counting machine. They produced a very,very nice twenty three (23) keepers or an excellent 4.0% keeper rate !

64p, 64d, 65x2, 66x4, 67x9, 68dx3, 69dx2 & a 92 (CuNi) proof.

As I'm still at the teller's window, she and the branch manager say they still have some more, and they bring over six envelopes from another (unmanned) teller's station. Five of the envelopes each had $25 in Ikes in the them (for a total of $125) and the sixth envelope had $25 in halves in it.

The envelopes of Ikes didn't give me any proofs, '73 or silver, but I did get at least one each of all the commons (71pd, 72pd, 74pd, 76pd, 77pd &78pd) and a couple are in very nice condition and will replace what I have in my Whitman.

The envelope of the $25 in halves was an entirely different story. Would you believe ALL silver ? Albeit all 40%ers, but there were 50 silver halves in that envelope (67x14, 68dx32 & 69dx4) !

Had to have been the teller's "stash", but why would the branch manager go out of his way to sell them to me ? Needless to say, I didn't ask him that question. I politely thanked him and wished him a great day.........on my way out the door. 8)

Yeah, "we don't need no stinkin' Fed boxes".


Later that day, dropping some rejects at another bank, the teller gives me a couple of Canadian quarters she was holding for me ('68, but not silver & an '04p).
 
Upvote 0
Excellent haul! Love those bags as well! 8)

RT
 
Also picked up $170 in loose rolls from another bank the same day as the bank halves bonanza (above).

These rolls produced at a very good 1.5% keeper rate:

54d, 65, 67x2 and an a 68d.

Banks are closed on Monday, get out today if you can..................
 
thurmownator said:
Banks are closed on Monday, get out today if you can..................

Not all banks are closed, but a majority of them are.
 
Nice haul, Thurm!
 
Well done Thurm!! You are having an outstanding month. Kudos!

The Fed boxes are a steady source for halves and produce decent hauls here and there. I still like the hand rolls that have been sitting in the vault.... ;). They can hold some pretty good silver at times. Alot of it is being in the right place at the right time.

Keep plugging Thurm.....the month is not over yet....add to it.....keep riding the wave dude!!!

Good luck.
 
thurmownator said:
...............when you continue to have this kind of luck with coin counter bags, loose halves and loose rolls from banks ?

The envelopes of Ikes didn't give me any proofs, '73 or silver, but I did get at least one each of all the commons (71pd, 72pd, 74pd, 76pd, 77pd &78pd) and a couple are in very nice condition and will replace what I have in my Whitman.

Upon further inspection, as I was separating those Ikes by mintmark, there was one 71s (40%er !), not proof, but 40%er nonetheless..............and I've only finished separating '71 & '72. I'll keep you apprised as I continue sorting the rest.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom