Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You hear some say the Compadre are only good for tot lots or for there young kids.................. But that is the detector snobbs ................... That compadre will work the beach and inland and find more gold jewlery than most high cost detectors........... Yes Smudge those Tesoro detectors are more than tot lot detectors.................

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre
I used my Compadre at the beach the other day. Covered three miles of towel line with it in about four hours. Worked great, could swing it all day long.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the Compadre is a great machine, but for me I'd opt for the Silver uMax instead. It is slightly deeper, has a removable coil, is just as light and easy to use, and has adjustable sensitivity. Although I usually don't need to adjust my sensitivity setting, there have been times when I could not have hunted without being able to turn it down several notches.

So both are great "beep and dig" machines for the money. But I prefer just a bit more tuning capability. In fact, I prefer my Vaquero over the Silver uMax as well. But all three are very simple, capable machines.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mts, that's the beauty of Tesoro. There's something for everybody! :icon_thumleft:

BTW, this post is now 7 months old and still going. I'm amazed. Thanks to everyone who's replied! :notworthy:

greenbowfish

Greenie
Jul 31, 2011
Bemidji, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compared, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Lobo
This is great! I messed up a few years ago and let my musketeer go. Found lots of coins in PA where we lived. Met several people there that were very partial to the Tesoro. Got to hold and look at them but never used one. I am buying a new Tesoro in the next 10 days. I am trying to decide between the silver u-max and the compadre. After reading this post I am leaning towards the compadre. I hate to sound really dumb but when you guys say smaller gold what does that mean? I have always dug everything so the single tone does not bother me. Should I spend the extra money and get a Silver u-max or will the compadre do? Mostly park hunting in GA. May be a while before I can upgrade.
Thanks! :dontknow:

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greenbowfish said:
This is great! I messed up a few years ago and let my musketeer go. Found lots of coins in PA where we lived. Met several people there that were very partial to the Tesoro. Got to hold and look at them but never used one. I am buying a new Tesoro in the next 10 days. I am trying to decide between the silver u-max and the compadre. After reading this post I am leaning towards the compadre. I hate to sound really dumb but when you guys say smaller gold what does that mean? I have always dug everything so the single tone does not bother me. Should I spend the extra money and get a Silver u-max or will the compadre do? Mostly park hunting in GA. May be a while before I can upgrade.
Thanks! :dontknow:

It is really a matter of personal choice. The Silver uMax will find gold rings and small ones at that. The Compadre, with the way it is designed to process the signals from the coil, will for some reason (I'm not a tech head by any means) hit on small gold chains better than the uMax. The uMax should not have a problem hitting on the clasp of a gold chain if it is still there and not hidden a abad angle in the dirt. But just the chain itself, unless its waded into a ball, hides from the uMax, but not the Compadre, provided its not too deep.

So if you plan being a dedicated gold jewelry hunter, I'd say go Compadre.

If you don;t want to dig all that trash and want to limit yourself to coins and bigger gold and silver jewelry, the uMax will absolutely not disappoint you.

Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

greenbowfish

Greenie
Jul 31, 2011
Bemidji, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compared, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Lobo
Hello and thanks for the answer. That helps a lot. Not so much dedicated to either one. Just like to get out and play in the dirt and hear the tone. Will probably try the compadre and when can step up maybe will have enough to get the u-max or the cibola. Anyway, thanks for the info! That helps a bunch in my decision.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge said:
mts, that's the beauty of Tesoro. There's something for everybody! :icon_thumleft:

BTW, this post is now 7 months old and still going. I'm amazed. Thanks to everyone who's replied! :notworthy:
:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread