Why pennies are the best

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Because I've neer skunked, in all the handsearched rolls I've done. I always find at least one copper, and sometimes, several wheats. I even scored my first and only Lady Liberty penny from a roll.
Plus, pennies are the poor mans treasure, and I tend to store most of my riches in heaven... if you know what I mean.
So over the last week I've found over 20 wheats and counting still...

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
FiresEye said:
Because I've neer skunked, in all the handsearched rolls I've done. I always find at least one copper, and sometimes, several wheats. I even scored my first and only Lady Liberty penny from a roll.
Plus, pennies are the poor mans treasure, and I tend to store most of my riches in heaven... if you know what I mean.
So over the last week I've found over 20 wheats and counting still...

In terms of ROI, cents :wink: are the best... once you factor in time and the difficulty in selling 95% copper cents, I don't believe they're the best way to go... but hey, whatever floats your boat.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually outside of the melt ban nickels are the best way to go.

- Worth almost 2X face.
- Don't have to sort them if you don't want to because they are all the same (minus the wars and Canadian)
- Usually find silver in just about every box.
- Doesn't take as much money as higher denomination coins.
- Find the occasional buffalo or V.

thedude

Greenie
Mar 12, 2010
AGCoinHunter said:
Actually outside of the melt ban nickels are the best way to go.

- Worth almost 2X face.

Try $.059

Pennies are the best way to go. Here's why.

Trade five zinc pennies for a nickel and you have 3.75 grams of copper.
Trade five zinc pennies for five copper pennies and you have 14.75 grams of copper.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
The cost of refining a nickel is also much higher than the cost of refining a 95% copper cent. ;)

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Of course, we or no one we know is actuallly re-fine-ing the cents or nickles into other forms.. BEcause that's well, El-eagle.

BUT,

He is sort of right, in that nickles may not have 2x face value, BUT, they metal content of nickles has been one of the long standing face/metal value solids.

And even at almost 6 cents, a penny earned is a penny saved. ANd that's bound to go up.. I'm just surprised the govt. hasnt done away with the metal content. in nickles. YET..
that's a big yet.. don't hold your breath.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread