What's new

Why pennies are the best

FiresEye

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
322
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Because I've neer skunked, in all the handsearched rolls I've done. I always find at least one copper, and sometimes, several wheats. I even scored my first and only Lady Liberty penny from a roll.
Plus, pennies are the poor mans treasure, and I tend to store most of my riches in heaven... if you know what I mean.
So over the last week I've found over 20 wheats and counting still...
 
Upvote 0
FiresEye said:
Because I've neer skunked, in all the handsearched rolls I've done. I always find at least one copper, and sometimes, several wheats. I even scored my first and only Lady Liberty penny from a roll.
Plus, pennies are the poor mans treasure, and I tend to store most of my riches in heaven... if you know what I mean.
So over the last week I've found over 20 wheats and counting still...

In terms of ROI, cents :wink: are the best... once you factor in time and the difficulty in selling 95% copper cents, I don't believe they're the best way to go... but hey, whatever floats your boat.
 
Actually outside of the melt ban nickels are the best way to go.

- Worth almost 2X face.
- Don't have to sort them if you don't want to because they are all the same (minus the wars and Canadian)
- Usually find silver in just about every box.
- Doesn't take as much money as higher denomination coins.
- Find the occasional buffalo or V.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Actually outside of the melt ban nickels are the best way to go.

- Worth almost 2X face.

Try $.059

Pennies are the best way to go. Here's why.

Trade five zinc pennies for a nickel and you have 3.75 grams of copper.
Trade five zinc pennies for five copper pennies and you have 14.75 grams of copper.
 
The cost of refining a nickel is also much higher than the cost of refining a 95% copper cent. ;)
 
Of course, we or no one we know is actuallly re-fine-ing the cents or nickles into other forms.. BEcause that's well, El-eagle.

BUT,

He is sort of right, in that nickles may not have 2x face value, BUT, they metal content of nickles has been one of the long standing face/metal value solids.

And even at almost 6 cents, a penny earned is a penny saved. ANd that's bound to go up.. I'm just surprised the govt. hasnt done away with the metal content. in nickles. YET..
that's a big yet.. don't hold your breath.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom