What's new

Wildflowers

Chilli

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2022
Messages
5,420
Reaction score
31,207
Golden Thread
0
Location
OZ (Down Under) Central Victoria. Golden Triangle.
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Gold Monster 2000
Hi guys, one of my favorite times of yr to go into the bush. Spring wildflower time.
The flowers and plants though are tiny, I call them micro flowers.You just have no idea how intricate they are until you do a close up. In fact you can drive right through the bush and not even see they are there. Its highly mineralised ground and these things thrive in it. No large wildflowers grow here. The spot I took these from I had to stop and walk around searching before I came across them.
Shown with my fingers for size reference.
This is where they all were.
IMG_20251015_140420763_HDR.webp

Little Sundew carnivorous, traps things in the sticky droplets.
IMG_20251015_135734227.webp

Cant remember all the others names but there are orchids and native daisy's.
IMG_20251015_140359215.webp

IMG_20251015_142636965.webp

IMG_20251015_135233046.webp

IMG_20251015_142831054.webp

IMG_20251015_143035216.webp

IMG_20251015_140533152.webp



IMG_20251015_134722612.webp

IMG_20251015_134019555.webp

IMG_20251015_140055301.webp

IMG_20251015_142145582.webp

IMG_20251015_142333630.webp

IMG_20251015_135458100.webp

There's a micro spider on this one below.
IMG_20251015_134801291.webp

IMG_20251015_135409449_HDR.webp

IMG_20251015_140234401.webp

IMG_20251015_133310205_HDR.webp

IMG_20251015_135953433.webp

IMG_20251015_134332133.webp
 
Chilli VERY NICE pictures L(
I have a different question though. Have you had any dangerous encounters with Poisonous snakes over there ?
 
Wow! Nice shots. Such beauty and intricacy packed into such a small space!
 
Chilli VERY NICE pictures L(
I have a different question though. Have you had any dangerous encounters with Poisonous snakes over there ?
Hi Gare. Yeah numerous times. Had a huge Eastern Brown, highly venomous, crawl across my boot mid step. Two different occasions a Brown bit my detector coil. Once on hit my gumboots I was wearing. A Brown bit my now gone Staffy and the misses just made it to the vets on time he was nearly gone ($500 for antivenom)
And a very very good friend was killed by a Coastal Taipan in Queensland.
 
Wow! Nice shots. Such beauty and intricacy packed into such a small space!
Thanks for that. I know, crazy so many different species in such that little spot. I reckon the fact that there were some shallow small excavations there from the old time miners held some moisture in the ground longer when the rains had been there a few weeks ago. Sort of a tiny plant oasis in a usually dry hard ground area.
 
Hi Gare. Yeah numerous times. Had a huge Eastern Brown, highly venomous, crawl across my boot mid step. Two different occasions a Brown bit my detector coil. Once on hit my gumboots I was wearing. A Brown bit my now gone Staffy and the misses just made it to the vets on time he was nearly gone ($500 for antivenom)
And a very very good friend was killed by a Coastal Taipan in Queensland.
WOW So coming close to them in your country is NOT a uncommon event :( PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!!
 
WOW So coming close to them in your country is NOT a uncommon event :( PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!!
In the bush, if you go into it often enough like detecting and fishing. The average main city dwellers closest encounters would probably be on a weekend drive and maybe seeing one on the road a couple of times a yr if that. I admit there are quite a few in some places I go but some areas you wont see any.
My misses came detecting with me a couple of yrs ago and we were detecting an old lead running up to a range top in the Pyrenees. Snake city. I stepped across a little bit of erosion, looked ok, then the misses followed and id disturbed a black snake which started to move as the misses jumped over it. Five minutes later detecting and another slithers away from us. We decide to ditch detecting the lead and try up along the rise. Minutes later another snake. A brown. Misses says thats it we're out of here. I agree so we head back to the car. She screams and yells "now there's one on a tree" 😆 I say relax its just a branch. I look and it was another snake on a low lying branch. Couldn't get out of there quick enough.
I don't worry about them overly though, its the ants that can ruin your day.
 
Nice pictures !!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!
 
The first time I ever saw one of those tents on top of a vehicle it was some folks who came over from Australia. Some years back, and they had built it themselves. They said that was the only way to go in places they camped back home. They had some stories, probably slightly inflated. I found it hard to believe that man eating crocodiles came up, chewed the tires off their truck, and kept them treed for 2 days in the tent.
 
The first time I ever saw one of those tents on top of a vehicle it was some folks who came over from Australia. Some years back, and they had built it themselves. They said that was the only way to go in places they camped back home. They had some stories, probably slightly inflated. I found it hard to believe that man eating crocodiles came up, chewed the tires off their truck, and kept them treed for 2 days in the tent.
Hi. Car topper tents are recommended up north as there have been numerous cases of huge crocs attacking people in ground tents. It could have happened though chewing the tyres off not sure about that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom