WOODLAND DETECTORS FIELD TEST REVIEW FOR COILTEK AFTERMARKET COILS FOR MINELAB

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
" BEWARE ...Dealers claiming other manufactures coils allegedly performing better with "AIR TESTING" This is NOT an accurate way to test a coil's potential. The CoilTek Coils listed below work best for the Minelab Etrac which I have diligently tested in normal relic retrieving conditions"

I have just completed a lengthy field test on ALL the manufactures coils for Minelab machines. About 2 years now to be exact, believe me, I have tried them all. I have concluded that the Coiltek coils are by far, the most superior coil you can buy for your Minelab machine. :notworthy: Coiltek is a company located in Australia (like Minelab) that caters for Minelab machines, SOLELY . If your searching for a high quality aftermarket coil that delivers optimal depth, and target separation , Coiltek Coils are the way to go!!!! :notworthy: I personally use and endorse the 12x8 PLATYPUS submersible coil with my Etrac, and I cannot believe the depth I am getting with it! It's right between the WOT and stock coil size. PERFECT SIZE. I have tried the COILTEK 15' WOT , and it is also a great coil. The WOT (Wonderful Orange Thing) is a 15 inch coil perfect for field hunting, and covering ground, FAST and DEEP! The platypus is perfect for me, and I use it in place of the stock Minelab pro coil and I have not looked back. The Stock Pro Coil is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the PLATYPUS may be a bit better. The Joey coil is by far most superior to the competitors small trash coils...all of which I have used extensively. The 10x5 JOEY TRASH COIL gets superior depth, and separates the good targets in high trash like no coil I have used to date. Made of the highest quality materials, this coil will accompany my Minelab machines on all my future endeavors. Several of the Coiltek's employees have worked for Minelab at one time, so they understand what coils work best for Minelab machines. There you have it. The BEST aftermarket Minelab coils...Hands down.

Order one today at 855-966-3563

Attachments

• Woodland Detector Sales Authorized Dealer.jpg
    Woodland Detector Sales Authorized Dealer.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 2011-05-19 002.JPG
    2011-05-19 002.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 2011-05-19 005.JPG
    2011-05-19 005.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 2011-05-10 002.JPG
    2011-05-10 002.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,467
  • 2011-05-10 003.JPG
    2011-05-10 003.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,246
  • 2011-05-10 006.JPG
    2011-05-10 006.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 2011-05-10 008.JPG
    2011-05-10 008.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,282
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • 2011-07-14 002.JPG
    2011-07-14 002.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 2011-07-14 003.JPG
    2011-07-14 003.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,078
  • PLATYPUS UNDERWATER.JPG
    PLATYPUS UNDERWATER.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,536
  • Woodland Detector Sales Authorized Dealer.jpg
    Woodland Detector Sales Authorized Dealer.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,047

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: COILTEK AFTERMARKET COILS FOR YOUR MINELAB

Nice Mike, I might add the Minelab / Coiltec relationship goes back a long ways, Coiltec use to make all of Minelabs stock coils before minelab started making them inhouse.....

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010

I have the connectors for the switch from the stock coil to the 15" WOT for my Excal II. BUT---I have spoken to some detectorists who disagree with my decision to purchase this coil. I was told that this coil is better for relic hunting than small gold at the beach--( I will be using this on East Coast beaches--coins, rings,etc...). You seem to be well versed in Coil-Tek products--Opinion please---Thank You

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005

I'd like to buy a concentric coil, around 8" diameter, for my E-Trac. Anyone make such a coil?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JoelB said:
I have the connectors for the switch from the stock coil to the 15" WOT for my Excal II. BUT---I have spoken to some detectorists who disagree with my decision to purchase this coil. I was told that this coil is better for relic hunting than small gold at the beach--( I will be using this on East Coast beaches--coins, rings,etc...). You seem to be well versed in Coil-Tek products--Opinion please---Thank You

I have been using the WOT on my EXCAL for over 2 years now.....I own 2 Excals, one has the WOT and one has the SEF 12x18" Butterfly coil........I do not hunt the beaches with anything smaller, My Sov GT has a WOT and a SEF 15X18" Butterfly coil......

AS far as the WOT not hitting on small gold.....BS, I have found diamond earring studs with my WOT, also found a .06 gram (little over half gram) gold ring using the WOT on my Excal, it was over 10 inches deep when it was found... Get either a WOT coil or the SEF 12x18" Butterfly coil if your wanting to mod your excal....

*************** Just be sure it is no longer under warranty, any mod voids the Minelab warranty **************************
*********************************************************************************************************

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I got in some time with the WOT on the summer beach in the Mid-Atlantic..The coil was just to big for the waves and for some reason overly sensitive to the conditions, a problem I did not have this winter while testing. I'm guessing, but it must have to do with the temperature, and the changing salinity conditions. JoelB, Let me know how your hunts go. I ended up using the 10 inch but the 8 would have given me better coil control with the water conditions, which I'll be taking next time. I still think the WOT is a excellent coil, mainly for the coverage and it will be with me on all my trips.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Last week I got in some time with the WOT on the summer beach in the Mid-Atlantic..The coil was just to big for the waves and for some reason overly sensitive to the conditions, a problem I did not have this winter while testing. I'm guessing, but it must have to do with the temperature, and the changing salinity conditions. JoelB, Let me know how your hunts go. I ended up using the 10 inch but the 8 would have given me better coil control with the water conditions, which I'll be taking next time. I still think the WOT is a excellent coil, mainly for the coverage and it will be with me on all my trips.

OB, turn your threshold down a more.... I have hunted in some pretty good surf action with mine......I have discovered when that happens if I turn the threshold down to where it just goes away, after about a minute it comes back very faint, and the detector is very stable...... It is almost like the"silent" search on my Sovereign GT.....I know it still works like it should because I was still digging deep targets afterwards when I put the coil over them.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks TH, I'll give it a shot..and that is in Discriminate? I think , more then likely I will use the WOT at night since I stay some what out of the water during this time. I'm looking for the coverage of the coil since most targets in OC are fresh drops. How hot are you running your sensitivity?
Here is some video of me setting up the sensitivity this winter, in PP mode, Running Very High sens..sure brought out the faints, with very little falsing..last week, could not even get away with it set on 3pm..away next week for a few days will give your settings ago..thanks again...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Thanks TH, I'll give it a shot..and that is in Discriminate? I think , more then likely I will use the WOT at night since I stay some what out of the water during this time. I'm looking for the coverage of the coil since most targets in OC are fresh drops. How hot are you running your sensitivity?

Here is some video of me setting up the sensitivity this winter, in PP mode, Running Very High sens..sure brought out the faints, with very little falsing..last week, could not even get away with it set on 3pm..away next week for a few days will give your settings ago..thanks again...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kbyNf85Uk

Yes it was on descriminate....Was hunting Hollowood Beach, surf was rough and was getting a lot false signals, I decided to see what would happen if I turned the threashold way down, I turned it till it disappeared, it came back very faint after a few minutes, I noticed it was very stable and yet I was still recovering deep targets......I did a little experiment and tried it with no threshold and I was still digging targets.....

I want hunt this way under normal conditions, but will use it when water or sand conditions make unit unstable...Kinda like the silent search on the Sov GT......

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
OldeBeechnut said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kbyNf85Uk

Yes it was on descriminate....Was hunting Hollowood Beach, surf was rough and was getting a lot false signals, I decided to see what would happen if I turned the threashold way down, I turned it till it disappeared, it came back very faint after a few minutes, I noticed it was very stable and yet I was still recovering deep targets......I did a little experiment and tried it with no threshold and I was still digging targets.....

I want hunt this way under normal conditions, but will use it when water or sand conditions make unit unstable...Kinda like the silent search on the Sov GT......
I have noticed I had to turn my sensitivity down a couple notches using mine in thos conditions to get it stable. And yes I agree with TH on turning the threshold down too.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Me think the Headphones with the probe attached looks interesting. :sign13:
It might possibly be usefull when Gold prospecting :icon_scratch:, so we shall investigate and :read2: some more.

ivanll

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not very very good with repairing electronics. Who would be good resource to have a WOT attached to an excal, and while I'm at it, have a pair of Grey Ghost head phones on.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I agree with 47th-element. I purchased the Bulgin connectors but not the WOT yet. I too am aprehensive to do this mod myself. I would really prefer to have someone GOOD hardwire the WOT to my excal--the one I want done is out of warranty. If the connectors is the route I must take---so be it. Anyone interested?? PS --I already asked two of the best and they declined for various reasons---basically there are only so many hours in a day and believe me I would much rather be swinging a coil than be working on someone elses. OF COURSE IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT......................I love my excal's the way they are--but we are always looking for that extra advantage. Seriously--If there is any interest out there to do this for me send me a pm-----Boog

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting parter does it, user has to pay to ship coil and detector controls to and from him and he charges $50 per detector for the mod, it is hardwired into the controls...... His user name here is davespen, shoot him a PM on here...........He is working on one now...

Dave lives in Orlando, if your in central Florida other delivery arrangements are possible....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave does great work............
JB....... I would try and stay away from the Bulgin connectors on the coil, After one summer of issues with the connector this is what I found, the connector forms a small one turn TX/RX coil that is in series with the main coil. If the connector is up against a metal shaft, it will generate a signal which will vary if there is relative movement along with falsing when coming in contact with saltwater. Now this is the Bulgin Mini Buccaneer, they do work great for switching out the headphones but not the coil splice.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks ---Treasure Hunter and OBN---I will pursue this lead. To OBN---The Excal that I will be hard wiring the WOT to--Is is Amp friendly? Just curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread