What's new

worked flint but whatsit?

Ohio_Doug

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
558
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast Ohio
I found this in a drainage ditch in my back yard, it has flaking scars all the way around. I'm thinking it's too small to be a scraper, maybe a gun flint?
 

Attachments

  • flint1.webp
    flint1.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 355
  • flint2.webp
    flint2.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
Yep...looks like a flint!
 
Dustin, thats what I thought at first but looking at it closely I can tell it's not broken, all 4 edges have flaking scars.
 
It coud be a gunflint. If it was, the shape of the edges at the upper and lower ends as pictured is important. One edge or the other at a minimum should be wedge shaped or show signs of having been so. My flints look as shown in top view and I knapp the edge until they get too short to stay in the jaws reliably or allow any steel of the cock (hammer) to hit the frizzen. The sharpened edge changes position as it is repeatedly renewed to be sharp and square to the frizzen. Of course, as lock sizes varried greatly the flint could be rotated 90 degrees and the same would apply. Hugh
 
Hugh
Actually 3 sides are wedged the other is really squared. So I'm assuming it is most likely a gun flint.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom