What's new

A couple questionable pieces

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these recently and I can’t decide yet if the first is a cup stone and the second is a think is worked but not sure about the function.

First one I found today on a known trade era site maybe with older components, floating in a dirt matrix on a bluff top, and I have yet to find another stone anywhere in the area that looks like this, heat altered and sand stone… but I know cup stones are the easiest claim. Also the little feature with the dimples and lines are odd
IMG_6944.webp
IMG_6942.webp
IMG_6943.webp
IMG_6930.webp
IMG_6931.webp
IMG_6933.webp
IMG_6932.webp
IMG_6937.webp


This second one I didn’t think was anything when I picked it up, but it is flint, the edge has been worked…. Thoughts have been core… but it looks more worked or shaped. Scraper maybe but very steep and bulky… was kind of leaning maybe a wedge?

IMG_6946.webp
IMG_6955.webp
IMG_6956.webp
IMG_6957.webp
IMG_6959.webp
IMG_6958.webp
IMG_6950.webp
 
Upvote 0
The first rock might be a natural Omar but with those incised lines, it was definitely used by Indians. The second rock looks like a tested small nodule. Never made into anything but likely used for some task.
 
Appreciate the feedback I know it’s very unusual for this area, I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever seen another one like it around here, and no apparent fossils in it… but on the other hand, being rare doesn’t make it human made… as for the other it’s definitely had a little bit of work on it, but maybe I’m overthinking it maybe it was make a quick edge and then toss.
 
First one is natural. No signs of grinding in the depressions. Those scratch marks mean very little to nothing, could have been many things done it. Second one looks to have been tested for workability and most likely did not pass the test. So its a artifact in its own right being manipulated by ancient man.
 
First one is natural. No signs of grinding in the depressions. Those scratch marks mean very little to nothing, could have been many things done it. Second one looks to have been tested for workability and most likely did not pass the test. So its a artifact in its own right being manipulated by ancient man.
Appreciate the feedback I know it’s very unusual for this area, I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever seen another one like it around here, and no apparent fossils in it… but on the other hand, being rare doesn’t make it human made… as for the other it’s definitely had a little bit of work on it, but maybe I’m overthinking it maybe it was make a quick edge and then toss.
Well, the cup stone could very well be natural but the striations terminating in peck-like indentations are interesting. Context is everything and SE Kansas doesn't naturally produce many signatures like that. It can never be proven but it looks to me like somebody in that know habitation site produced that. I'd certainly keep it. I have several sandstone abraders that were used to dull the hafted end of points that are similar to that. FWIW
 
Appreciate it, I’ll definitely hold onto it but I won’t be making any absolute claims, I walked that area again and looked at sandstone all in the creeks nearby, didn’t see anything else with cups, but like I said that doesn’t automatically make it cultural. I could kind of believe either way if someone insisted it was natural or if someone insisted it was cultural
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom