Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wasted another very beautiful day helping my father build his new home. Wasted you may ask but let me explain. My father is building a 2 story house up on the side of a mountain. He has a very washed out and steep road leading up to it. He is 80 years plus and is determined to do most of the work except the actual roof. He has a huge shop already on site and "he" is building the walls inside of the shop where they are waiting to be taken out and put in place on the slab. The wasted part comes from the fact of what he is building the walls out of. Normally one uses 2x4 stud walls and I have heard of 2x6 stud walls but no, he is building 2x8 stud walls. Normally one uses nails to put it together with but we are using 3/8 lag bolts. A ten foot section of wall is gigantic in both weight and size, it is all we could do to get it stood upright and moved about fifteen feet. He has 14 wall sections already built and we have 4 more to build. So let's talk about yesterday, when the trailer load of 2x8s, over 50 of them, slid off the trailer as he drove them up to the house. Loads of fun as we had to walk back down the the side of the "hill" and hand carry them up. He has a backhoe that he plans to use to put up the walls. But 2x8s? it's his money but my back is already bad enough. The good side, my brother-n-law is coming for a week to help get it up and then my brother is coming for a couple of weeks. lucky me.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there plans for a helo pad on the roof? Should be strong enough for one. LOL

If he has the money and ability, why not 2x8's if that is what he wants to do. I say go for it.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not necessarily call it over kill myself the added thickness of the walls could save on cooling and heating the house tremendously,and as far as codes are concerned they are what is the bare minimum that is expected a house to be built under and like you stated its his money he is spending

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
codes? not in the country. he currently lives in a 2 story log house that we build back in 78, not a kit either. we will plumb and do the electrical ourselves, as we have numerous times in the past. He was a radio repair man in the Air Force as was I, plus took course in Vo-Tech 1980.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
2 of my walls I built in my barn house are 10"...the others are 2 x 8... I had to, to compensate for the out of square barn I started with.... Not that scared of 'Nado's now...lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not overkill.
Those thicker walls can allow built in shelves if insulation space is not needed.
Strong bones make for a strong body.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he builds it, they will come...:laughing7:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PROMISE you there will come a TIME when you wish you could waste it helping your father :(

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, your father might will you that house.

2"x8" studs you say? Are they 16" on center or 24"? Or, did he go 1.2' on center giving five studs every eight feet? I'd have gone 1.2" o.c. but it would be a pain to insulate unless you blow it in. Still, with 7" of insulation it should not be difficult to moderate room temperature. Open the window at night and it'll stay cool all day, and a small wood stove might heat the place.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
2x8's I wouldn't say overkill. Lag bolts, I would say yes. Can't think of gaining any strength, being there vertical. But, it's his money! Hope it's a driver your using, and not just a socket wrench. That would suck!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not overkill at all, I'de build everything out of Stainless steel and granite if I could

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
16" on center. yep using air drive and he has twisted off 15 lag bolts so far, got him to drop down the power. No, my sister will get the house, already know that. I would help him no matter what, well as far as I am physically able. what I question is when we have to try to lift up or move one of those walls, he is over 80 and I am 61 with a lot of health issues. I am not even supposed to be doing any of this but he is my father and so it is. He also has a 31 Ford long bed truck that he is in process of restoring as well as a 33 four door. He has already restored a 31 with rumble seat.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have wrote 1.6', not 1.2 feet before.

Platform framed, or post and beam? How are you going to raise the walls?

You might want a crane but on a steep slope you might not be able to get one there. I hope you get something figured out. Stay safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread