Wow! Impressive! The New Coiltek 10x5 coil for the Equinox

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used mine on fresh water beach yesterday. I can tell "round" better and can also figure out caps a little better. Clad coins read a little higher. This beach gets detected fairly often but i pulled 5 clad quarters in an hour plus other coins and they have been there a long time by the looks. All were 6" to 9" , 10" deep.
20220714_123203.jpg

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the 10x5 compare to the factory 6" when looking for gold?

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a web search.... "
The middle is not as sensitive as the heel and toe on tiny targets nor as deep, as the targets get bigger the middle becomes the most sensitive and certainly the deepest part of the coil on bigger targets, as someone intending to use it for coin type targets this will not be an issue with you and in fact it's a benefit of the Coiltek to those who use it to hunt small gold having the really hot heel and toe.

I haven't used mine for coin type hunting as I require the most depth possible so little coils serve no purpose for my coin hunts and if in a real junky area it makes more sense to put the 6" on rather than the 10x5" as the footprint is smaller, less chance of two targets under the coil at once.

These are the sorts of things you've got to weigh up when you decide which to buy, both work really well, never seen someone break the ears off a 6" so it's likely just a problem with the bigger coils maybe sometimes due to people leaning on the detector getting up from a dig causing fractures with the bigger coils. Never seen someone break the Coiltek ears.

Either way you cant' go wrong, both are good coils.""

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got an EQ 900 and I ordered the 10x5 with it because whenever I can get a small elliptical for nugget hunting I jump on it. The 6" round designs are ok, but generally, nugget hunters need to be able to stick the coil into tight places that the 6" round can't reach.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing with my 5x10 coiltek on the beach on my nox800 and had something strange happen, or at least strange to me.

I was getting loud and deep hits for screws, nails, coins and melted aluminum. the coins and aluminum were screaming down to a foot or so.

It was set on beach 1, auto ground balance and I was swinging over a small stick and I kicked the stick out of the way. When I kicked it I realized it was a piece of metal but it didnt give a signal. I checked it a few times before putting it in my trash sack. A few minutes later I came across a couple of pins used to secure a trailer hitch and cheap tent stakes and the same thing happened, no signals. I tossed some of my other finds in the sand to test and I did get a signal so the machine was working somewhat...

The screws, nails were small and buried while the no-signal targets were much bigger. Is there a setting that will make the machine or coil not show that stuff?

nwdetectorist

Greenie
Oct 23, 2021
I was playing with my 5x10 coiltek on the beach on my nox800 and had something strange happen, or at least strange to me.

I was getting loud and deep hits for screws, nails, coins and melted aluminum. the coins and aluminum were screaming down to a foot or so.

It was set on beach 1, auto ground balance and I was swinging over a small stick and I kicked the stick out of the way. When I kicked it I realized it was a piece of metal but it didnt give a signal. I checked it a few times before putting it in my trash sack. A few minutes later I came across a couple of pins used to secure a trailer hitch and cheap tent stakes and the same thing happened, no signals. I tossed some of my other finds in the sand to test and I did get a signal so the machine was working somewhat...

The screws, nails were small and buried while the no-signal targets were much bigger. Is there a setting that will make the machine or coil not show that stuff?
I am guessing that your experience is not unlike what the rest of us deal with sometimes. That being said; there is a video site (the popular tube), and a gentleman from Final goes in depth about the physics of how Double-D i.e. Wide scan Coils work. His description of 'near field' versus 'far field' affects how and what you hear in relation to surface area of the target. " So check out the video by searching for 'Why is it harder to detect coins on edge?' This man's detailed explanation of detector physics will be very helpful for most of us. HH :)

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had something similar happen and think i wasn't in detect mode, but audio snapped on by itself just as i was going to hit detect button. One thing about the 10x5 is don't buy it for weight saving, it almost seems heavier at times. (i know it's not) ergonomic thing i think.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing that your experience is not unlike what the rest of us deal with sometimes. That being said; there is a video site (the popular tube), and a gentleman from Final goes in depth about the physics of how Double-D i.e. Wide scan Coils work. His description of 'near field' versus 'far field' affects how and what you hear in relation to surface area of the target. " So check out the video by searching for 'Why is it harder to detect coins on edge?' This man's detailed explanation of detector physics will be very helpful for most of us. HH :)

The video is interesting but has nothing to do with what I experienced. In my case the rusted nails/screws which did give good signals were a fraction of the size of the bigger objects. Nails/screws were maybe 1/2" long, the tent stakes/hitch pins were 4"-10 and the metal bar was probably 14" long and all of them were much wider than the rusted screws"

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video is interesting but has nothing to do with what I experienced. In my case the rusted nails/screws which did give good signals were a fraction of the size of the bigger objects. Nails/screws were maybe 1/2" long, the tent stakes/hitch pins were 4"-10 and the metal bar was probably 14" long and all of them were much wider than the rusted screws"
Did you try putting it in another mode? Beach mode and if you had the FE turned too high might have had an effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread