WWI or WWII

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of mine bought a old trunk over the weekend at estate sale for next to nothing and found some U.S. Military items inside. Question are these ww1 or 2. Buttons were inside the Red Cross bag. Also looks like the ankle rap cloth they wore in ww1. Found some news papers in trunk that dated to 1920 so I think ww1. Anyway hope back marks on buttons tell the tale. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably WWI. But the puttee leg wraps were used right up into the 1920's.

Puttees.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to take a few new pics of the back marks of buttons, cant see much from the one I posted. There were quite a few different makers on buttons, namely Waterbury & Scoville. Trunk looks like old foot locker from early 1900's. Makes me wonder what else the original owner had stored in the foot locker, it was basically empty when my friend bought it other then some folded news papers from the 20s the items I posted and an adult magazine from the 1950's which was cool but cant go into that here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of the great seal buttons have a black finish? If so, they are 1910-1923. If not then 1910-1917 and 1923 on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every great seal button was black finish all of the ones in the back mark photo were great seal and black finish. Some great seals also appear to be plastic or bakelite. Guess to save brass for the war? Well looks like I might be telling him wwi era, thanks for the help all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread