X-terra After-market Coil Discussion

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few questions about after-market coils for the X-terra 705.

First, does using an after-market coil, either NEL or CoilTek, adversely or in any way affect the control box?
Second, I've read (either here or on another forum) that with the patented VFLEX thing Minelab has that these companies have to "crack the code" to get their coils to work and thus they are violating the patent. Not sure if its true but logic would follow that using a non-Minelab coil would be supporting a company violating patent law. But what option do we have if Minelab won't offer a larger DD coil? I'm all fine with the stock coil in a city park but in a large field the 9" coil just doesn't provide enough coverage.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or any suggestions?

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Both the Coiltek 15"DD and the NEL Tornado 12x13"DD work well on my XTerra, but I prefer the NEL for my hunting.
Xterra's are exported to and sold in the country where NEL coils are made, if Minelab can't see the benefit of a coil that enhances their product, that be their narrow/nearsightedness.

PS.
One of last Sundays finds.
NEL-Tornado_XTR-70_400.jpg

Both the detector and the coil have been paid for by the owner!

ivanll

Last edited:
OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Ivan. I've been wanting to get an elipitcal coil and NEL seems to be the only maker for it. If their coils are as good as I've been reading I think that is my next purchase.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact is, that the NEL coils are considered an infringement by MineLab. CoilTek was given legal license to produce the 15" WOT, and to date it is the only sanctioned aftermarket coil for Xterras.

If you ever experience a failure of your Xterra, and if MineLab ever found out that you had an illegal coil on the machine, your warranty would be void.

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fact is, that the NEL coils are considered an infringement by MineLab. CoilTek was given legal license to produce the 15" WOT, and to date it is the only sanctioned aftermarket coil for Xterras.

If you ever experience a failure of your Xterra, and if MineLab ever found out that you had an illegal coil on the machine, your warranty would be void.

If NEL is violating patent law then why is Minelab allowing them to be sold on ebay or by Regton in the UK? Surely their legal bubbas are aware.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ

A fact can be proven...............So far there have been no such proof.
I have paid for both my XTerra and my NEL coil, that make me the owner so how I use them is up to me.
Besides my brand new not yet1/2 hour old XTerra had a visible fault even before it was assembled, back at the dealer which opened the housing and found a second serious fault, despite being Minelab Authorised and having a QA###### sticker on the box.........Warrenty ??????? what warrenty.

ivanll

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If NEL is violating patent law then why is Minelab allowing them to be sold on ebay or by Regton in the UK? Surely their legal bubbas are aware.
Aware and working on it I'm sure. Seems things are a bit muddy regarding international law in some former com-bloc countries.

This is a copy of an e-mail that I got from MineLab regarding aftermarket coils.
Hi Rick, the N.E.L coil has not been authorized for use on the X-Terra by Minelab. The only coil besides the original equipment one authorized for use on the X-Terra by Minelab is the Coiltek. If I can help you with anything else please let me know.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian Erne
Customer Care Coordinator
Minelab Americas | 1418 Brook Dr., Downers Grove, IL 60515 USA.
Customer Care: 1-877-767-6522| D: 1-630-401-8156 | F: 1-630-401-8184
| E: [email protected]

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Longhair, appreciate the input. Its alot like downloading music - just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread