Yard Sale Gold Flipped for Handsome Profit and Mystery Object

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. First off, a big thank you to TNet. I found an incredible ladies 18k Omega watch at the most unlikely of sales, and I never would have recognized the significance of the '750' marking if not for these forums. Anyway, long story short, this sale was advertised as a yard sale, but it was actually two fellas dragging stuff out of a dilapidated horse trailer onto five or so tables set up in an empty lot. Apparently one of the guys had to clean out a property so he brought all of the contents to this empty lot to sell. I found the watch at the bottom of a box of crafting supplies, and the guy said I could have if for 50 cents. I had it checked at a jeweler - it is authentic. It sold tonight for $562!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453173311.455192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453173779.906923.jpg
Now, as far as this porcelain cat head goes, I'm stumped. It had a very old looking piece of paper inside that said 'from 1885'. The bottom is marked '1345'. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453173469.662275.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453173497.667947.jpg
There is one similar on Worthpoint marked '1346' that has a lid and is identified as a Austrian tobacco jar. The construction of the head on mine is a little different though, like maybe style '1346' was lidded and '1345' was not? It may just be wishful thinking on my part that I'm not missing the lid. The one on Worthpoint didn't sell for much, so its not the end of the world if mine isn't complete. Here's the Worthpoint pic:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453173693.432667.jpg
Any help would be appreciated. Happy hunting!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the watch. I have to say I think the cat is from the same mold. Maybe a paperweight or a top to a cookie jar.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little more research and it seems my cat head may be a match holder, and part of a matching set with the tobacco jar as seen on Worthpoint. Thanks!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a score on that watch! Omega is one of the most collected high end watches! Superb quality. Congratulations. The other piece does not appear to be of value. If it would have been made of brass, then it would more than likely have some value. But, that was just part of the score! :-) All the best!

RjA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread