Calculated shipping. Am I priced to high?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Got an email on a listed item saying my shipping was way to high. He said good luck selling it and nobody is charging more than $40 for same item. I am in NJ and he is in NV. I gave ebay calculator my weight 37lbs and dimensions for usps. I am currently only using USPS. Is fedx or ups that much cheaper? Am I doing this correctly? Here is the listing.
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5 1 Subwoofer for Parts Repair 743878014594 | eBay

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks correct to me. It's all calculated based on the buyer's location, also what type of USPS service you are using. Your item came up as costing $28.05 to me , and I am in CT, so shipping to this person in NV would be a considerable amount more. Slim chance that UPS would be cheaper though.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
It looks correct to me. It's all calculated based on the buyer's location, also what type of USPS service you are using. Your item came up as costing $28.05 to me , and I am in CT, so shipping to this person in NV would be a considerable amount more. Slim chance that UPS would be cheaper though.

I used standard post. I hope that was the right choice.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just give your local post office a call and ask them what the cheapest method is for shipping something that weighs 37 lbs. That will take the guesswork out of it.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Large and over sized items UPS is cheaper in my experience. Also remember that there is a final value fee assessed to shipping charges now. I usually add a handling fee to cover that.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iget a price of $28.00 for zone 1 parcel select, $23.29 for priority. Zone 8 $62.45 for parcel selct and $77.58 for priority. Fedex home delivery to zone 1 is $21.51, zone 8 Fedex home delivery is $59.29.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a box that size I would go with Fedex or UPS. I shipped two bicycle wheels last year that were not that heavy but were in a large box. (USPS has also changed their oversized limits and will not ship boxes over a certain size.) And I had it shipped for 28$ I think where USPS had quoted 60$ I think.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Large and over sized items UPS is cheaper in my experience. Also remember that there is a final value fee assessed to shipping charges now. I usually add a handling fee to cover that.
How does your handling fee not become part of the sale price and then a higher final value fee? Can you give an example 'cause I'm not getting it ;)

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does but only part of it the other part covers the shipping final value fee. Usually its around 30 cents or so so I charge a dollar to cover it and shipping materials like padded envelopes and tape. It adds up over time. The only reason they charge a fee on shipping is that some sellers Particularly over seas ones would list an item for what the shipping would cost and the shipping would be the cost of the item so that they would not have to pay as high of fees. Though in the recent years the fees have been getting higher and more. The most recent change has been the Ebay bucks which now you have to make at minimum 5$ a month or you don't receive any of it.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in VA, and it says $33.50 for me. It's going across the whole country for goodness sake!

I put in a zip code for CA, and it says $62. I think your price is right. Does the guy not realize it's 37 pounds? BTW, I would personally be very thankful that this guy doesn't want to bid on your auction. He sounds like trouble.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
I'm in VA, and it says $33.50 for me. It's going across the whole country for goodness sake! I put in a zip code for CA, and it says $62. I think your price is right. Does the guy not realize it's 37 pounds? BTW, I would personally be very thankful that this guy doesn't want to bid on your auction. He sounds like trouble.

Exactly, and the "good luck selling it" quote in his email made me think he is not the bidder I want.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recently listed a woodworking vise, and was shocked that the buyer paid $27 for shipping. I thought it was too high, so I took it to the PO for verification, and it was right on the money.

I looked up the buyer's addy, and he lived in the northernmost part of Maine, which is a long way from where I'm at.

ETA: The surprising thing about this vice is that I would have said that it would have shipped to almost anywhere for $15. I think the PO has refigured some of the outlying zip codes and charging a premium for them.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about some random person's message. You should reply back to him that "nobody has one listed for .99 either buddy".

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in VA, and it says $33.50 for me. It's going across the whole country for goodness sake! I put in a zip code for CA, and it says $62. I think your price is right. Does the guy not realize it's 37 pounds? BTW, I would personally be very thankful that this guy doesn't want to bid on your auction. He sounds like trouble.
Great advice and couldn't have said it better. You have your shipping price calculated correctly and that is the price. If it's too much for some folks then they do not have to bid. Like what was said above, it's going across the entire country. It's 37 pounds. Of course it's going to be a lot. Ignore the message you got and delete it. You don't want bidders like that anyway.

If you start comparing prices between USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc, etc based on the weight of every item you sell on ebay you will drive yourself nuts. I ship everything USPS unless it's a large oversized item then I'll go with UPS.

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a comparison of rates for zone 8, and a new zone, zone 9!! I used a 15 lb. package in a 12" x 12" x12" box. Zone 8 was $42.71, the new zone 9 is $51.68!!!!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same state tells me $28. But I find when I ship something west it is surprisingly high. I usually respond to questions like this with that if it ends up cheaper I will refund the difference. I had a guy complain about $3 to ship a spoon. Then somebody through global shipping ended up paying $80 that I didn't get to the global shipping program and was happy as a clam. I think some people just want a bargain. I mean if he is in CA there is no possible way to compete with someone else in CA selling the same item. I also once read you can ship very heavy things through greyhound bus and they just go to the terminal to pick it up. Its very cheap but the results were all over the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread