Accidentally overbid

irish_creep

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeking advice...

I was on a roll bidding $3.55 on coin after coin just now (big spender, I know), my brain sort of on autopilot, when all of a sudden I saw my stupid finger hitting the "place bid" button with $355 (no decimal) in the max bid box.

That automatically knocked the previous high bidder out, leaving me looking at paying a little over double my intended max. It's a nice coin, and frankly, I have no qualms about eating my loss.

However, I'm just worried that, knowing my luck, there'll be something about this particular coin that will attract all the loonies out of the woodwork to have a bidding frenzy that I honestly can't afford.

There's a little less than 2 days left on the auction. Comparable (as far as I can tell as an amateur) coins are selling for around what the bid now stands at.

Should I just ride it out and cross my fingers, or is there some way I can lessen my max bid from $355.00 to like $10.00 or something?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can cancel your bid. If there is no box for
you to check, contact ebay support and let them
at least be aware of the issue. The seller should
also be advised that the bid amount was an error.

OP
OP
I

irish_creep

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, cool- I'll check that out. I do all of my ebay stuff on my mobile, so it seems I'm missing a lot of the normal options apparently. Gotta get to a PC. Thanks man.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you contacted me & said you accidentally bid $355.00 instead of $3.55
I'd be tempted to get a Friend to bid it up to $350.00 :laughing7:

not really
tongue3.gif

Last edited:

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine did the same thing once but for a LOT more money (he was putting in a bid over $1.000.00 and went over $10,000.00). He was able to retract his bid and he sent an apology to the seller because his bid revealed the reserve on the item.

OP
OP
I

irish_creep

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you contacted me & said you accidentally bid $355.00 instead of $3.55
I'd be tempted to get a Friend to bid it up to $350.00 :laughing7:

not really
tongue3.gif

Heh heh, I had thought about that. If it came to that, I'd tell the seller that my max bid was $455, so if he tried some funny business he'd get burned.

OP
OP
I

irish_creep

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine did the same thing once but for a LOT more money (he was putting in a bid over $1.000.00 and went over $10,000.00). He was able to retract his bid and he sent an apology to the seller because his bid revealed the reserve on the item.

Dang, see, that's what I want to avoid. It's not the seller's fault I made a stupid mistake. I've decided to just sit tight.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong in making a mistake and admitting it. I've had buyers msg saying, "omg I made a mistake, I am so sorry......."

Not knowing your item particulars, I know I would be livid if I bet $300 on a $3 item, that I know are made a dime a dozen.
Who among us, has not omitted the . at times. :dontknow:
I'm on a little laptop and type like I got gorilla fingers....... (many errors and correcting)
I couldn't imagine trying to do it on a little ole cell phone.

GL with your bid/item.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I almost always use a sniping service. I put in my max bid and forget about it. The sniper drops my bid in four seconds before the end of the auction. If there are higher hidden bids, it will go back and forth a hundred times per second until my highest bid is reached. I just got a beautiful 18" Minelab Kevlar Monoloop Supergoldsearch Coil for my SD2000 for $76.

If you make a mistake with your max bid, you can correct it any time before the end of the auction.

Mike

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I almost always use a sniping service. I put in my max bid and forget about it. The sniper drops my bid in four seconds before the end of the auction. If there are higher hidden bids, it will go back and forth a hundred times per second until my highest bid is reached. I just got a beautiful 18" Minelab Kevlar Monoloop Supergoldsearch Coil for my SD2000 for $76.

If you make a mistake with your max bid, you can correct it any time before the end of the auction.

Mike

Which sniper do you use?

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH NO! Seriously don't worry. Explain to the seller and contact Ebay. They should be understanding.

Mistakes work both ways too. I was all set to buy a Garret AT Pro of of Craigslist that the guy used twice. He had it listed for $450.00 and was only one month old. I contacted him and he replied with a "my wife asked why I listed it for so low when I just paid $600.00 plus tax?" He quickly raised his asking price up to $500.00. And I was trying to get him down from $450.00. SMH.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which sniper do you use?

I have used EZSNIPER.com for several years. Some people frown on sniping, because they say it isn't fair. It gets the job done, and has saved me a LOT of money. Also, you don't get tied up in a bidding war and wind up spending more than you wanted. You figure your max allowable for an item, start the snipe, then check the auction after it is over to see if you won.

I also advise not putting the item on "watch", because if people think there is a lot of interest in an item, they may wait till the last second or so to bid.

Mike

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You do not need to explain anything to anyone...

Just use ebay's retract bid feature and be done with it.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing fewer snipers and more single early bids on my auctions. A lot of the time it seems like an early opening bid will scare off other buyers, even snipes. Especially if the opening bidder then goes in a few days later and increases his max bid so that it is obvious that he intends to have it.

I have started trying it when I buy. I used to snipe 100% of the time, but now am I thinking why get in a contest with 5 seconds to go when I can just stake a claim early and maybe send other people down the road looking for a better deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread