Victim of a Scam
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe777Cool
  • 1 Post By BRC

Thread: Victim of a Scam

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    West Virginia
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Victim of a Scam

Hello all,

I was recently lured into a scam and long story short, I now have more money in eBay gift cards than I have in my bank account. Luckily I didn't lose my money to this scammer. Anyways, I am seeking some advice on how to recoup my money since I can not get my money back from the gift cards. I have thought about buying bullion on eBay but that seems like more of a risk and would take longer to get my investment back. I have also thought about buying boxes of coins but have been unable to find any on eBay so far. The bullion seems like a better idea so I would physically have my money back but I'm unsure on how long I would like to sit on that investment and really unsure what is happening in the gold market (I do not follow the gold markets at all)
    Thank you all in advance for any help.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    Wow, Sorry to hear you got wrapped up in this position. I think I understand what your trying to do? Turn the Ebay cards back into cash? Hmmmm..I'm trying to think of ideas that might work....

The coins and bullion would work, but you would have to know that stuff pretty well. If that is your hobby then you might be able to catch some deals that come on cheap enough to flip and relist for more, thinking about the fees, any shipping,and time. If you don't know gold and how all that works, It might be risky. and you could possibly lose more of your money.

If I was in the same position I would stick to what I knew.

What are your interests? Is there a way to profit from buying something that you know about and reselling, taking fees and costs into consideration...

I have no idea what I would do! I'll have to think on that for a while to see if I could think of some suggestions! I usually get myself into these type of problems, thinking I'm going to make more!!
    Last edited by Nitric; Nov 25, 2015 at 02:48 PM.

us
    Feb 2014
    West Virginia
    4 times
    I enjoy CRH from time to time. With the amount that I have in these gift cards, it would only make sense to search half dollars or maybe even quarters. I think I'm going to do the bouillon and just hope that the market for gold stays relatively stable or goes positive. I stay on top of the markets for the most part, but futures and commodities were never my investment choice. Until now I guess lol.

Feb 2013
    1165 times
    Well just so happens I know of a rich Saudi Prince that recently died leaving no heirs except me. If you can send me the gift cards I can pay the inheritance tax holding up my fortune. I will reward you handsomely for you efforts.
    mugsisme likes this.

us
    Retired Air Force, unfortunately still working

Apr 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
    216 times
    Joe, sorta funny but I have a feeling Eer is not in the mood. Eer, best of luck. I've always come out ahead of it when I CRH. Also, can you resell the cards?
    Sometimes the wise old man shows up. Other times its just the old man.

BRC
    us
    Jun 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Excal II, CTX 3030 , Sand Shark and EquInox 800
    50 times
    There are numerous companies that buys gift cards people don't want or would never use.....Kids sell their Xmas, birthday gift cards from Red Lobster and Walmart all the time to them..Google it and choose the one ya get the best deal from...
    boogeyman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    6196 times
    I guess you could use your gift cards to purchase your Christmas and Birthday gifts for everyone. Just a thought, sorry to hear you was taken advantage of.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Feb 2008
    641 times
    I would not invest in anything I know nothing about. Buying gold bullion is a scam industry.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30310 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    On another note, be careful getting the free samples of whatever-it-is-today off the internet. For just about $4.99 you get all this cool, cream, paste, body wash or whatever sewer water they are pushing. If you are DUMB ENOUGH to give them your credit card #, be absolutely assured they will send you more and more and more of their junk and it s near impossible to get them to stop.

Look for silver rolls maybe. Or better slabbed coins. At least you know they are not fakes, Although nothing is perfect.

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2193 times
    There are a number of places that straight up buy gift cards. Ebay gifts cards tend to lose about 20%. PM me for the URL.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Aug 2012
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben View Post
    There are a number of places that straight up buy gift cards. Ebay gifts cards tend to lose about 20%. PM me for the URL.
    I was going to suggest the same thing. You will take a small loss but it's better than nothing.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Sponsored Links