River/stream detecting?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone here have any luck detecting in streams and rivers? I'm in Ohio so we don't have much in the way of beaches (just the small freshwater kind that everyone and his brother have detected 100 times). I fear that finding stuff in a stream is like finding a needle in a haystack. You can't find what isn't there. But some of these rivers have been dammed up and now cover areas that used to be prime locations next to a smaller sized stream. Still others have sand and gravel bars that people probably used back in the old days while traveling. I recently went on a canoe trip and pulled off on several that I would have liked to have searched with my detector but didn't have it with me. These gravel bars have probably been here for hundreds of years and surely have been used by many settlers and indians. Finally, the streams around here get very low in the summer exposing tons of areas that could easily be searched but are normally covered during yearly floods.

I'm probably grasping at straws here but I'd like to give it a try if there is enough evidence/experience to support that it could yield some good results. By the way, not much gold here in Ohio except for little placer flakes which I'd never be able to find with my detector. So my main "treasure" would be artifacts and old coins. But I might would take a gold pan just in case I wanted to try my hand at panning.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Upvote 0

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I found a large cent in the river last fall. It was wedged into a crack in the rocks and the detail was completely worn off (I guess from the environment it was in) the only way I was able to tell was by the diameter. This spot is normally under water but due to lack of rain there was only about 1/4" of water there.
I have not gone back because the water level has not been that low since then, but I do plan to when the water level drops.
I would definitely do it if I were you. Also try to find the old swimming holes and other areas where there was activity in the past.

Paul

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Paul. The water levels are really high right now so it looks like I have some time to do some research about old swimming holes and such. My brother has several kayaks. Maybe I'll convince him to go on a treasure quest with me this summer when the waters are a lot lower. :wink: It's worth a shot and if nothing else we can enjoy nature for a while.

G

gamiller

when water levels are down--- look near boat ramps, I usually at least find some clad.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gamiller. Great idea!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find some great stuff, around rivers if you have an idea where to start. Everything revolved around water back then, even travel, so my guess is when the water level is down I would pack up and go. Since you have a Kayak you should be able to get into some remote and outstanding places where others have never hunted before. Maybe you will get lucky and find a gold piece.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say there is only one way to find out and thats go for it. What do you have to lose a fun day out with your detector?
You just never know what you will find with a detector, thats what is so addicting to this hobby.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks txkickergirl, I sure hope so! But I'd settle for some old coins that campers and settlers dropped along the way. Maybe even an old musket or something similar would be nice.

I'm getting psyched up about it. I'll have to start trying to research the best places to go. I've heard stories out here and on other forums about areas that were completely wiped out from floods. Those would definitely be on my list of top places to search. A lot of stuff from the houses would have floated downstream and deposited along the banks and sand bars.

I've also been trying to find someone local to detect with. I've talked to my brother about it but would have a hard time convincing him to buy a detector at this stage since he's never even tried it. Maybe by mixing kayaking (which he loves) with treasure hunting (which I love) I can get him interested enough to start joining me on a few excursions.

I would have to think that these rivers and streams are public land and it should be ok to hunt. I know of at least one "scenic river" locally which is also protected (endangered mussels living there) which I would stay far away from. I'll have to check out the state and local fish and wildlife sites to see if there are any rules posted.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
during your research look for landings and ferry crossings.....also if possible find where wagon trains crossed......i know that in the early times the ohio river was the dividing point between civilization and the wild west.......lots of ferries moved settlers down river to other places for their journey west

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
For what it is worth, I live across from a trout stream and always bring my MD fishing with me. I've never had to buy sinkers since I got my MD.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MTS I've never used a metal detector in a stream or river but I have seen several postings on here from hunters who have. Actually I did try one time in a local river where an old wood bridge used to be but all I found was a huge snake so I didn't last long there. But about the others, I have seen posted on here old coins, civil war relics, copper age arrows, and even a flint lock pistol (I believe it was only part of it).

Family of mine that live in either South Carolina or Alabama found a really nice bayonet from the US civil war in a stream. As the story was told to me it was just laying there, found by eye sight.

I'm sure you can find Indian artifacts in the streams up there. I don't know what the laws are regarding picking them up in Ohio, here in Florida it is a felony to pick them up in water ways, but if you are allowed to pick them up it's part of history that you can preserve for future generations.

I know everytime I am on vacation and we pass areas where there are a lot of people in the river or streams my only thoughts at that point is why I didn't bring my metal detector with me.

Good luck on your hunts. Hopefully you can convince your brother to get involved. I've been trying to convince my brother for the past two years to get a metal detector. He finally got his scuba license so that is a start.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a waste of time. If you are in a gold producing area, always take a pan along and check the sand and gravel bars also your small streams and river banks (it does not take a lot of time to do a few sample pans. On any islands you come across use your MD. Also, always keep your eyes peeled for Indian artifacts (points, pottery shards, etc.). You might also want to brush up on fossils a bit if you are not versed in them (a single mammoth tooth can be worth hundreds of dollars). The sand and gravel bars are great hunting for them also. Always remember when TH'ing to think outside the box. Treasure comes in many different forms.

Have fun!!!!

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions