any luck at Vero and Miami

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Just wondering if anyone is having any luck at Vero beach or Miami? St Augustine is pretty sanded in and I wasn't sure if all the beaches south of here are as well? My husband and I are thinking about checking them out next week. I hope others are having better luck them me so far, I can't wait until summer.

It is so exciting to hear others are finding coins and gold!

cheers!!

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miami would be your best bet,Super Bowl +Drunks = Gold, :tongue3: :laughing9:Something like that :laughing7:

OP
OP
sanddrifter

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Maybe I will check out Miami. I went to Flagler this AM and no luck. We had some better waves yesterday, but not enough to make a big difference. So does everyone think Vero and Miami are as sanded in as St Augustine and Flagler? I am new and just trying to figure things out. Is it that they are sanded, but still plenty to find because of tourist? Thanks for the help!!!

ghiotom

Feb 6, 2010
When someone says the beach is "sanded in," I thought that meant there would be a lot of new sand and that it would be soft (you will sink in a certain amount). But out at St. Augustine Beach, it's pretty hard, at least it is south of the pier. Cars drive on the wet sand and barely leave tracks. I'm new at beach hunting also, so I'm learning too. I think there are a lot of retired people around here cleaning things up! And with beach driving, the beachgoers really get spread out. I continue to find a good amount of clad and some junk jewelry that's obviously been in the sand awhile. Anyway, the tourists will be coming soon and hopefully some good loot will be left behind.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
ghiotom said:
When someone says the beach is "sanded in," I thought that meant there would be a lot of new sand and that it would be soft (you will sink in a certain amount). But out at St. Augustine Beach, it's pretty hard, at least it is south of the pier. Cars drive on the wet sand and barely leave tracks. I'm new at beach hunting also, so I'm learning too. I think there are a lot of retired people around here cleaning things up! And with beach driving, the beachgoers really get spread out. I continue to find a good amount of clad and some junk jewelry that's obviously been in the sand awhile. Anyway, the tourists will be coming soon and hopefully some good loot will be left behind.

Indeed. Sanddrifter might be referring to Vilano, though. At the end of Oct., the sand had been scraped down and acutally cut through some of the parking strip/berm. It was promptly filled in by the end of the day, by Parks and Recreation. I hunted the cut out for 2 silver Rosie's. The beach had about a foot and half beach escarpment that trailed to the surf line in a steady decline. Now, when you go to Vilano, the area in front of the beach escarpment has been filled in with an easy 6' of sand (perhaps more in some areas). It really is quite amazing. No detector is finding anything in that heap unless it was brought in from the water and deposited at or near the surface. But it doesn't mean there is no decent detecting. You just need to hunt smart. Two weeks ago, there was a skim board competition. The parking strip/berm was packed. Recovered a hunky gold bracelet from the area along with some clad.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new here .i live in mass, and detect the beaches here for years. i have a $4000 machine and another machine for the storms.to answer your question about the sand.look at your tides,if its a 10 foot tide or better,than it takes the sand away from the beach. the tides below 10 foot puts sand back on the beach. im headed to fla in march i hope around the 5th. ive never been to fla but plan on hunting vero beach for coins of the 1715 fleet. I know that i might not get anything,but im going anyway. if you could help me with information,i would be thankful. frankie

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frankie said:
Im new here .i live in mass, and detect the beaches here for years. i have a $4000 machine and another machine for the storms.to answer your question about the sand.look at your tides,if its a 10 foot tide or better,than it takes the sand away from the beach. the tides below 10 foot puts sand back on the beach. im headed to fla in march i hope around the 5th. ive never been to fla but plan on hunting vero beach for coins of the 1715 fleet. I know that i might not get anything,but im going anyway. if you could help me with information,i would be thankful. frankie

They are scheduled to start the renourishment of the beaches in that area starting this month.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/feb/02/indian-river-commission-approves-beach-contract/

OP
OP
sanddrifter

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for all the great information. I feel after reading all these I still need have a lot to learn about the beach and my machine. This site helps me every time I read the comments from everyone.

Thank you so much!!!!
Mary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread