First Spanish Reale !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
ATTACH=CONFIG]992045[/ATTACH]

:laughing7:I have been somewhat hesitant about posting finds, but just have to share this one. Last weekend while detecting a FL Treasure Coast area beach I noticed larger shells and rocks grouping towards the previous high tide line. I know that millions of pounds of sand had recently been dumped on our beaches, so I figured they had been washed up by waves. I figured that maybe some goodies had been washed up too. I started working the tide line with my M6. I had the Whites 950 Eclipse coil on it with no discrimination and the sensitivity at +1 ..................toggle was in "Beach" mode of course. I dug some pull tabs, change, etc and then I got a high tone. It repeated in every direction and my VDI indicated it was a sliver dollar. Of course I figured it was a beer can, but I dig EVERYTHING. About 7-8" down I nailed an in encrusted piece of crud, but when I waved it by my coil I got a 91 on my VDI. I wiped away what I could in the salt water and when I realized what I had I almost fell over. After about 12 hours+ in electrolysis as well a good cleaning with Colgate toothpaste (great for silver) I had a beautiful early 1600's 8 Reale weighing in at 26.7 grams

Attachments

• 8Reale.JPG
    8Reale.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats is why I started this hobby, to find a treasure coin. Congrats on the find. I would have left my truck and ran home like a kid. Not gonna sell mine when I find it though. Gonna make a charm.
Agreed sponge, how'd your fish do in the draft?

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Gator Boy" not really sure what your agenda is here, but if are insinuating that I didn't find it, I did.

The fact that there are no "Dynamics" to explain why that coin ended up where it did, could be because you just don't understand the ocean and the beach as well as you think that you do. Actually, that day I checked your blog and you indicated that conditions were not good ..... interesting....what "Dynamics" came into play when you made that assumption? So basically where you live the laws of physics don't apply? 300-400 years of tides, hurricanes, tropical storms and monster waves could move a ONE OUNCE coin a few hundred miles? Yes I am aware that the Atocha is in the keys .... My cat knows that too. Maybe it's from another ship that sank closer to us from that era ....who knows? The bottom line is that I put my coil over a target and got a solid signal and dug. Just because this is beyond your comprehension, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like many other great hunters before me, I am done with this forum crap. You go run your little "Treasure Coast Report" or whatever the heck it is called and I'll actually hunt the beach and find things.

Well guess what buddy.....Capt Carl Fismer liked it and didn't have any reservations regarding it's origin or resting place. The fact that you actually believe that coins and pulltabs can not be found on the same beach, just goes to show your lack of intellect and that you are basically a miserable person who takes pleasure in ...... well basically doing nothing useful.

Gator Boy has found more 1715 fleet cobs than anyone on this forum. He doesn't have any agenda, and he doesn't have anything to prove.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We started off good. Gotta build that line one brick at a time. Heard you all picked up fastest guy at colobine.
Ya fast in speedos and T-shirt, We will see in pads, ran it is like 4.4 sec or something, crazy fast, but mendenhall was fast and would fall if a grain of sand hit him. Rather have some big fullback then little fast rb. Agreed not liquidated my first one either, but life happens and sometimes warranted.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Prize!!! Rings can be found but Spanish Reales are exceptional to find.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Ya fast in speedos and T-shirt, We will see in pads, ran it is like 4.4 sec or something, crazy fast, but mendenhall was fast and would fall if a grain of sand hit him. Rather have some big fullback then little fast rb. Agreed not liquidated my first one either, but life happens and sometimes warranted.

I agree. Roof and food first.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice reale...hmm

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Done with this forum so it doesn't matter - Everyone enjoy and happy hunting! Not going to find treasure playing on the internet or reading someone else's inaccurate treasure hunting forecast anyways.
Gator Boy has found more 1715 fleet cobs than anyone on this forum. He doesn't have any agenda, and he doesn't have anything to prove.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Reale! I wish you hadn't already sold it so we could see better pics. Bucket list find for sure!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Done with this forum so it doesn't matter - Everyone enjoy and happy hunting! Not going to find treasure playing on the internet or reading someone else's inaccurate treasure hunting forecast anyways.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATTACH=CONFIG]992045[/ATTACH]

:laughing7:I have been somewhat hesitant about posting finds, but just have to share this one. Last weekend while detecting a FL Treasure Coast area beach I noticed larger shells and rocks grouping towards the previous high tide line. I know that millions of pounds of sand had recently been dumped on our beaches, so I figured they had been washed up by waves. I figured that maybe some goodies had been washed up too. I started working the tide line with my M6. I had the Whites 950 Eclipse coil on it with no discrimination and the sensitivity at +1 ..................toggle was in "Beach" mode of course. I dug some pull tabs, change, etc and then I got a high tone. It repeated in every direction and my VDI indicated it was a sliver dollar. Of course I figured it was a beer can, but I dig EVERYTHING. About 7-8" down I nailed an in encrusted piece of crud, but when I waved it by my coil I got a 91 on my VDI. I wiped away what I could in the salt water and when I realized what I had I almost fell over. After about 12 hours+ in electrolysis as well a good cleaning with Colgate toothpaste (great for silver) I had a beautiful early 1600's 8 Reale weighing in at 26.7 grams
Please post some pics of it uncleaned. Both sides would be good also, and 1 or 2 shots of the edge of the cob. Assayer and mint would help which should be visable on your piece. Oh yeah I forgot you are done with this forum. Sorry to hear that.
No reason to attack Gator like you did. He is not the blog guy you are referring about, but he does know him. Gator has found alot of stuff, and he knows beach conditions. He put's his time in.
My 2 bits are that the cob in your photo is not from the sea. It could be, but I myself don't think it is. Being you found it all alone with no other cobs and it has good detail tells me it was not tumbling around in the waves, sand, and enduring the brutal conditions the ocean has to offer for the last 400 or so years. Even if it was encrusted I do believe it would show lots more wear. You stated the weight, and that is heavy for a sea/beach salvaged cob. Along with current conditions, and all the sand on our beaches it would take alot more to throw up a piece of eight onto the beach. Sea/beach salvaged cobs with lots of detail are in "cow patties" and in the middle, or have been in the dune for a long time and fall out when we have high surf here - which we have not had since tropical storm sandy passed by the state.
Thats my 2 bits and i'm sticking to it. The San Martin (green cabin wreck) sank here in 1618.
If your still around and feel like bashing my post or better yet my belief - go ahead. My feelings will not be hurt.
Good luck to you, and thanks for posting the picture you did.
Hey gator - hows the beaches down your way? They are sanded in heavy here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dismal deep and mushy.. :-(
I've been dry landing it lately.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dismal deep and mushy.. :-( I've been dry landing it lately.
we did have that one nice window 3 or 4 weekends past. But maybe a day and gal and back to mush. At this point of working non stop I'm down to come home and sink my hobbit toes in that sand.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like ever since Sandy we've just been moving the same sand from the water back to the beach nothing's ever really moved down the coast at all.
Even Sandy was kind of odd... it didn't really make a bunch of deep cuts in the beaches.. it just came way up and smashed the dunes. I think most of the stuff found after Sandy was knocked free from the dunes.
Even with the south wind we've had lately there's some small areas in a few spots that I know of that kind of get spooned out... And if your patience and a little lucky you can still come up with something.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dismal deep and mushy.. :-(
I've been dry landing it lately.
Heheheheheheheeee. Same here. Keep it up man - you have been finding some really cool relic's.
Been fishing - more than hunting the beaches. Grouper is fair game, just waiting on the ARS to be fair game for 3 days or so here.
Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions