First Spanish Reale !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
ATTACH=CONFIG]992045[/ATTACH]

:laughing7:I have been somewhat hesitant about posting finds, but just have to share this one. Last weekend while detecting a FL Treasure Coast area beach I noticed larger shells and rocks grouping towards the previous high tide line. I know that millions of pounds of sand had recently been dumped on our beaches, so I figured they had been washed up by waves. I figured that maybe some goodies had been washed up too. I started working the tide line with my M6. I had the Whites 950 Eclipse coil on it with no discrimination and the sensitivity at +1 ..................toggle was in "Beach" mode of course. I dug some pull tabs, change, etc and then I got a high tone. It repeated in every direction and my VDI indicated it was a sliver dollar. Of course I figured it was a beer can, but I dig EVERYTHING. About 7-8" down I nailed an in encrusted piece of crud, but when I waved it by my coil I got a 91 on my VDI. I wiped away what I could in the salt water and when I realized what I had I almost fell over. After about 12 hours+ in electrolysis as well a good cleaning with Colgate toothpaste (great for silver) I had a beautiful early 1600's 8 Reale weighing in at 26.7 grams

Attachments

• 8Reale.JPG
    8Reale.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
El Padron,
You are correct. Once again, you have to consider what 300 years of tides, waves, tropical storms & hurricanes could do to little 1 ounce (and less) coins. We've all seen much heavier rocks deposited on the beach, so why not coins? Heck, I know people who fish the flats and they have found 1715 items in the intrcoastals as far north as Merritt Island.

I have heard of the legendary "square grouper", but have never seen one.

Gator Boy,
You are getting way too worked up over this.......relax. We should start calling you "Magneto", as you control and know the location of every piece of metal on the planet.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Well treasurecoastEric,

All things being as they may, today an eight real cob such as the one you are holding up in front of yourself in the original post would be an unbelievable find.
it's value could be increased substantially if it were accompanied with many photos of its features and documenting it's discovery.
Photos of it actually being removed from the ground, and in various stages of recovery could possibly double its value.

You have to understand, that some of the people here sleep with their metal detectors by their sides, They have put in thousands of hunting and research hours. A few possess encyclopedic knowledge pertaining to the item you posted.

To most people here, the actual act of making a discovery such as the one you have reported would be even more valuable than the item itself
You can't blame them for insisting that you provide detailed pictures of it.

If I found an eight real that detailed I would literally have dozens of pictures of it from every possible angle and even it's various stages of discovery

If for some reason I would have had to part with it, I certainly would have kept the invoice or auction receipts
Your original photo portrays a very rare and valuable Cobb.

Thus documenting it's discovery and the subsequent discussion that would follow thereafter would have greatly added to its value

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gator Boy,
You are getting way too worked up over this.......relax. We should start calling you "Magneto", as you control and know the location of every piece of metal on the planet.

Thought you said you were leaving the forum, Eric. Welcome back.

If I recall correctly, you were the one who attacked GatorBoy after he politely asked for some better pictures.

To be completely honest Eric, I find the fact that the only picture you have of what many folks (including myself) would consider to be the find of a lifetime is a crappy selfie with half the coin not shown hard to swallow. If I had made such a find I would certainly have taken detailed pictures of both sides of the coin. Not accusing you, but I have to agree with GB that the coin you are holding does resemble the $2 replica souvenir coins sold at both the McLarty and Fisher museums. It certainly does NOT show the signs of wear common to every Spanish silver coin I have seen that was recovered from the beach.

BTW, suggesting that your coin could have come from the Atocha (which GB correctly pointed out is in the Keys) didn't help your credibility.

Just my .02. I sincerely wish I could believe that your find was a real reale, because it would give me more encouragement to keep digging.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Please post some pics of it uncleaned. Both sides would be good also, and 1 or 2 shots of the edge of the cob. Assayer and mint would help which should be visable on your piece. Oh yeah I forgot you are done with this forum. Sorry to hear that.
No reason to attack Gator like you did. He is not the blog guy you are referring about, but he does know him. Gator has found alot of stuff, and he knows beach conditions. He put's his time in.
My 2 bits are that the cob in your photo is not from the sea. It could be, but I myself don't think it is. Being you found it all alone with no other cobs and it has good detail tells me it was not tumbling around in the waves, sand, and enduring the brutal conditions the ocean has to offer for the last 400 or so years. Even if it was encrusted I do believe it would show lots more wear. You stated the weight, and that is heavy for a sea/beach salvaged cob. Along with current conditions, and all the sand on our beaches it would take alot more to throw up a piece of eight onto the beach. Sea/beach salvaged cobs with lots of detail are in "cow patties" and in the middle, or have been in the dune for a long time and fall out when we have high surf here - which we have not had since tropical storm sandy passed by the state.
Thats my 2 bits and i'm sticking to it. The San Martin (green cabin wreck) sank here in 1618.
If your still around and feel like bashing my post or better yet my belief - go ahead. My feelings will not be hurt.
Good luck to you, and thanks for posting the picture you did.
Hey gator - hows the beaches down your way? They are sanded in heavy here.

By the way Tarpon, hurricane Ike ( 09/2008), cat 2 at landfall...) threw 5 foot wide boulders over the seawall and onto seawall Boulevard. Piles of them. If I wasn't there to see it I would never have believed it in 1 million years.
Unbelievable devastation
They let me tour the island shortly after the storm because I owned an apartment building just off the seawall.
Today it looks like West Palm Beach again.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought you said you were leaving the forum, Eric. Welcome back.

If I recall correctly, you were the one who attacked GatorBoy after he politely asked for some better pictures.

To be completely honest Eric, I find the fact that the only picture you have of what many folks (including myself) would consider to be the find of a lifetime is a crappy selfie with half the coin not shown hard to swallow. If I had made such a find I would certainly have taken detailed pictures of both sides of the coin. Not accusing you, but I have to agree with GB that the coin you are holding does resemble the $2 replica souvenir coins sold at both the McLarty and Fisher museums. It certainly does NOT show the signs of wear common to every Spanish silver coin I have seen that was recovered from the beach.

BTW, suggesting that your coin could have come from the Atocha (which GB correctly pointed out is in the Keys) didn't help your credibility.

Just my .02. I sincerely wish I could believe that your find was a real reale, because it would give me more encouragement to keep digging.

Okay, who can post one of those museum replicas?

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
image-1293421409.jpg

There you go!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-2345810374.jpg
    image-2345810374.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-941715183.jpg
    image-941715183.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 92

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez, they make some crappy replicas!!
The actual forgers do so much better....

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
It's interesting that Carl Fismer and Bob Marx both saw the same photo and both had no issues with it. Bob Marx identified it as being from the Green Cabin 1619 wreck - He has written over 50 books on treasure hunting.

How many books have you guys written?

I don't photograph or video my recoveries........never have / never will.

Dozens of photos? - I knew it was a nice find, but not that big a deal.

Gator Boy began by insinuating that I couldn't have found it.

I began my post stating that I was hesitant to post my find - now you know why.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting that Carl Fismer and Bob Marx both saw the same photo and both had no issues with it. Bob Marx identified it as being from the Green Cabin 1619 wreck - He has written over 50 books on treasure hunting.

Don't you mean 1618?

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I for one have not published any books.

So if that is one of your average finds, then why were you hesitant?,
Just post a few more photos, I mean you went ahead and posted that first one that features a partially obscured teaser.
I mean what did you expect?
Look at how others have posted their finds before you, I mean there's no format, but a tease is a tease right?

No one is doubting you yet, but if you contest that you recently found that coin, posted a picture of yourself holding it, sold it a few days later, and didn't bother to take any more photos of it, then at the very least, it just absolutely proves you are breeding discontent or that you simply don't know any better.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
1618 - my error, but definitely Green Cabin.
I had heard from others what it was like in this forum, and I believe they were correct.
Yes it was a quick "crappy selfie", but that's the only pic I got. The coin was sold within 48hrs - someone heard I had it and made an offer. I have seen photographs of thousands of them piled one on top of another from various boats over the years. I honestly never felt they were that rare, and still don't. I do although feel that finding one on a beach with a metal detector in 2014 is a rare occurrence. I truly believe that all I did was wave the coil over the target......that's all.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1618 - my error, but definitely Green Cabin.
I had heard from others what it was like in this forum, and I believe they were correct.
Yes it was a quick "crappy selfie", but that's the only pic I got. The coin was sold within 48hrs - someone heard I had it and made an offer. I have seen photographs of thousands of them piled one on top of another from various boats over the years. I honestly never felt they were that rare, and still don't. I do although feel that finding one on a beach with a metal detector in 2014 is a rare occurrence. I truly believe that all I did was wave the coil over the target......that's all.

You already stated you had more photos of you holding it...
Good luck to you

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin was sold on Wed, but I have a couple of other pics of me holding it. There have been 60,000 - 80,000 tides, 800-1,000 hurricanes and millions of tides since those ships went down. Anything could end up anywhere. 1715 coins have been found as far north as Daytona. Yes - both the Green Cabin wreck and more unlikely, the Atocha has been mentioned as the coin's possible sources.

Just saying

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not saying anything about $ - you can Google them Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet
Oh ok. No ones going to say anything about it here! We're all the same.. Hunters of the beach.
A simple $500-$1000 would have sufficed. Figuring we are all the same type of people I'd ask someone who says they found one. I can google lots of things but why should I when this site is here to help one another and share our stories. Sorry I asked about such confidential information.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The photos were all about the same - snapped 5 or 6 "crappy selfies" back to back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread