When Smarter Heads Prevail

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was on the beach today and 45 minutes into my hunt when all of sudden I get run-over from behind. Lower detector shaft is in a couple of pieces now. Was I seeing red and ready to go on the offensive? You bet. However, I didn't. Here's how it all came about and why I didn't go on the offensive.

Down the beach a short distance there were some high school kids playing baseball with a whiffle ball and bat, just kids with a lot of energy having fun. By now I'm beyond their outfield and slowly moving away from them. Next thing I know the center fielder is running me over, apparently his eyes on the flying ball instead of where he was going. So I get hammered and my detector gets mauled. Yes, I'm seeing red. So I tell the kid he needs to watch where he's going, which to this he replies, "No. You need to watch where you're going."

Now I won't go into what was exactly said in that inch of space that was suddenly separating our noses but I can tell you that the kid was facing two choices with only one possible correct answer, to which he, and now his three friends, eventually agree. "Yes. We need to watch where we're going." And from this point forward it was all good. I didn't mind the accident but I did mind the smarta$$ comment, which got corrected. And at this point we parted ways. Ordeal over.

Did I want to kick some a$$? You bet. Why didn't I? Because that's the last thing in the world our hobby needs right now, a metal detectorist getting into it with a few high school kids.......we all know where this would likely lead. In truth, the kid was lucky he didn't run head-on into the sharp stainless steel scoop that was draped over my shoulder, how he missed it I'll never know. All I know is that it's a good thing he did miss it because if he had laid himself open on it I can only imagine where that might have all eventually lead.

So should something like this happen to you while you're detecting the beach think twice before you react as you probably should, could be that reaction might cost you more then you know. Not five minutes after I returned to the truck Beach Patrol drove past. Luckily on this day he didn't get to file a report involving a metal detectorist. :thumbsup: Luckily the kid came back with the correct answer the second time around. Not sure where things might have landed if he hadn't because I was seriously seeing red.

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had every right to lose your temper. If he had said he was sorry, it would have been easier to deal with, but I hate attitudes. If he had ran into me, I would have been down for the count. My back would not have taken his blow very well.
I'm trying to cut the grass with a riding lawn mower and had to just stop and take a long break until the pain meds give me some relief and then try to finish up. Lord willing, I'm heading to the river early in the am. When I let my yards get away from me, and miss my schedule, it's twice as hard and takes twice as long to get them cut. Glad you were not seriously injured. I can't handle the land detecting like I used to and it's the river or stay home. I would have required him to replace my shaft, tho. It was his fault and he should own up to it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had every right to lose your temper. If he had said he was sorry, it would have been easier to deal with, but I hate attitudes. If he had ran into me, I would have been down for the count. My back would not have taken his blow very well.
I'm trying to cut the grass with a riding lawn mower and had to just stop and take a long break until the pain meds give me some relief and then try to finish up. Lord willing, I'm heading to the river early in the am. When I let my yards get away from me, and miss my schedule, it's twice as hard and takes twice as long to get them cut. Glad you were not seriously injured. I can't handle the land detecting like I used to and it's the river or stay home. I would have required him to replace my shaft, tho. It was his fault and he should own up to it.

I'm just glad it wasn't a little kid or an older woman etc., who got pummeled. There were sure several of them on that section of beach today. Actually, I was quite surprised I absorbed the shot seeing how it came from the blind side and completely unexpected, and this speeding kid was pretty solid. Actually, I'm feeling pretty good about it, sort of beefs up "the old man" thing a bit and at only 5'8" & 135lbs I need all the beefing up I can get, mentally or otherwise. :laughing7: (Then again I might not be able to move in the morning?) :laughing7:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you did well with your actions,surely the kid did not mean it and was shook up a little at first.like to see more adults like you around.now if the kid would feel bad about breaking your detector......

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You should have shot the punk.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hes very lucky indeed!!!! as soon as he said "no, you need to watch where you going" things could have gotten very ugly for him!!!!!!! the end result would have been you getting arrested for assault, making the news and paying for bail, court costs, his medical bills and on and on.
glad you kept your cool!!!!!!!

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today there seems to be this macho syndrome among our youth that I just don't understand. In my day I would have first been worried that I hurt someone and then I would have quickly apologized for running into someone, readily accepting that I hadn't been watching where I was running. Honestly, too many kids these days have been handed a series of protection devices that are allowing them to stray way off the leash. "Timeouts" should never have been allowed to replace a black eye and a sore A$$.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" "Timeouts" should never have been allowed to replace a black eye and a sore A$$."

yep!!

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was he wearing one of those "Come At Me Bro" T-shirts? :laughing7:

Attachments

• come_at_me_bro_t_shirt-r41c60e89421d4a10bcfccc25038661c2_8nax2_324.jpg
    come_at_me_bro_t_shirt-r41c60e89421d4a10bcfccc25038661c2_8nax2_324.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 123

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky his friends didn't side on on his side, then gang up on you, out look would of been different.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky his friends didn't side on on his side, then gang up on you, out look would of been different.
Trust me, they were given their chance to do just that. The problem with youth today is they really never consider who or what they may be walking into. Bottom line, they rely on those protection devices to keep adults at bay. What they fail to understand is that it is often only providing limited protection. That possibility was never really a concern anyway. I think these kids were basically good kids and smarter then that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread