- What Conditions too Look for at the Beach Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
goldnugget, thanx for posting. Great video. Love to see ocean erosion cuts like that. And seeing them in video (versus still pictures) adds to the dimension. Thanx.

Note though that each beach is different, and some cuts are sterile. Like the "cut" could be in fill-sterile sand, where it's only cutting into last-summer's fill. Or you can be on a super active face-to-the-ocean, where cuts and fill-ins are occuring all the time, every year. Another type cut I find not-as-good, is cuts formed by the outflows of creeks, gullys, etc... Because those tend to recur in the same spot, year after year (like where storm culverts come out).

The right kind of "cut" has to be carved by the ocean (not fresh-water outflow), and needs to be deeper-than-norm for that area. Of if not "deep", at least further back in. And those trees in your pix show that the surf had pushed way back where it doesn't *normally* reach. Nice video!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom hit the nail on the head. I have soft areas on my beach that wash out "deep" and fill back in "all the time". They "look great" until you realize there's still several feet of very soft overburden under and around you. Great habitat for sand fleas but little else, usually get a half-dozen of the little critters every time you scoop up another pull tab. Even in the winter, after all the summer sand has been stripped away, this area is still very soft. I don't even bother with it anymore and it's right behind a string of busy condos.

In sharp contrast, a couple of years ago I found a long deep cut in the shape of a horseshoe behind a seasonal condo development and the bottom was as hard as rock, goodies everywhere.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Another kind of cut that looks good visually, but is not good, is the following phenomenom: If a good cut occurred one day, to ... say .... 5 ft. tall. Then over-night, at the next high tide, the water and sand comes back in at the base of the cut. So the next day perhaps it's 4" deep cut. However, the top 1 ft. of sand is sterile. It still LOOKS darn good, but whomever was first there, the day before, got all the goodies :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see guys/visitors all the time hunting cuts/troughs that are filling in rather then opening up. When I first moved here I spent days and hours making the same mistake. They can sure look good, but..........

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I'm just tired. No cuts, hyper low tide and nothin. Just about to sell all my equipment. I know, I know. Enjoy just being at the beach, etc. sorry for the rant. Will be at it again tomorrow! :icon_queen::icon_queen:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm just tired. No cuts, hyper low tide and nothin. Just about to sell all my equipment. I know, I know. Enjoy just being at the beach, etc. sorry for the rant. Will be at it again tomorrow! :icon_queen::icon_queen:

It's a chess game of sorts right now. Just gotta find a strategic place on the board to move to.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread