excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know a person detecting seeded the beach ? We hunt a spot and the lady that owns the house on the water seeds the beach/water while we're actually hunting. If you don't think that doesn't XXXX us off, you are mistaken. It's almost like she wants a confrontation, but we're all a lot smarter than that.

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur Blue 15" WOT coil
Minelab Excalibur Blue 12" SEF coil
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good Post Ron! I live in Ft Myers, just North of YOU. I have hunted both coasts in Florida for years. I don't know why the talk about laws and hunting in the water, we should be talking about this MORON. Over the last three weeks, Pier 60 Clearwater beach, Siesta Key, and Naples beaches were saturated with pennies. Showed up first in Clearwater and finished in Naples.

This has happened before. Unlike many of you, regarding your beaches back home, we have a constant stream of visitors from everywhere. In the past, they came down and found rings and helped pay for their trip. This year is different, not many rings to be found as people are getting smart and not wearing jewelry to the beach and there are more detector people on the beach than ever before.

Three weeks ago, I was in the water by 6:15am on a Sunday morning and by 8:00am eleven other detector guys had joined me (Clearwater) all in the water. The world is changing and beaches that were good are not so good anymore.

To this MORON I say this. A few pennies here and there, well that is just life. But handfuls of pennies thrown on every beach is just mean and make a bad year even worse. If you can't help us keep our beaches clean, "THEN STAY HOME"! We don't need you or your money.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
maybe a local that has a machine that can discriminate doesn't want to compete with PI machines thus the zinc or copper cents --he salts what he deems as "his area" effectively blocking out PI machine folks ---chopped up cents bits 1/4 of one are even worse. -- BB's are ugly too but some machines can cull iron / steel signals --so that's why the real PI machine haters use 1/4 cut up zinc cents

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since by florida law its illegal to "dig" for items in the seabed -- legally "state waters"out to 3 miles on the east coast and 9 miles on the gulf side-- isn't it funny how much stuff is found -- "on the surface " of the sea floor :laughing7: by detectorist

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
One more thing. There are lots of people taking videos at the beach these days and I am one of them. Lately, when I see people with detectors in the water that I don't know, I grab my camera. If I catch someone littering the water, I send the video to the City Park Rangers (done that twice now). If you are caught throwing trash in the water or on our beaches, the park rangers can arrest you, confiscate your equipment, fine you and make you do 100 hours of community service. Guess what that would be? That's right, picking up trash at our local beaches.

If you throw anything into the water that is not naturally found in water, that includes pennies, then you can be arrested.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if someone did seed the waters then I am sure they got what they wanted, acknowledgement, and now encouragement.

hookahman

Aug 6, 2013
Ya know, on key biscayne there are thousands of pennies there. It's from the Santeria practitioners I have come across a couple headless chickens and religious statues out there. They toss the pennies as monetary offerings.......I think in hopes of reaping more cash.

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Hi OBN,

Amagine finding you at home and on the computer. Rare day indeed.

I think this person is probably just a tourist with a detector that travels down once a year and finds a few trinkets. This year is bad for detector's, lowest ring count ever. But on the other hand, if they are encouraged by all this talk to come back to our beaches and throw more pennies, well I hope they do it for my camera.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing. There are lots of people taking videos at the beach these days and I am one of them. Lately, when I see people with detectors in the water that I don't know, I grab my camera. If I catch someone littering the water, I send the video to the City Park Rangers (done that twice now). If you are caught throwing trash in the water or on our beaches, the park rangers can arrest you, confiscate your equipment, fine you and make you do 100 hours of community service. Guess what that would be? That's right, picking up trash at our local beaches.

If you throw anything into the water that is not naturally found in water, that includes pennies, then you can be arrested.
Are you saying that you sent videos to rangers of detectorist throwing things back in the water?

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I'd rather find anything of more worth than a penny.... but I don't pass them up either. I don't mind, an adventure is an adventure, the thrill of the hunt and I am thankful to be out and about metal detecting. Being Blessed to be out is what it is all about. Even if I get pop tops and tent stakes all day, I am Blessed.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hunted a section of beach that was littered with pennies, a hardly noticeable "new" low spot that the increased surf and currents created. The area I came upon was in the wet sand but this same things happens under the water as well and you'd never even realize if since you can hardly see it or just see a small area of it. Some of those pennies I found were crusty, some shiny, some old, some new. Even found a few dimes in the mix. I doubt anyone "spiked" the area, probably just some minor sand movement.

crap.jpg We see this type thing happen quite often over here.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was taking for granted that the original post came from somebody who knew all about accumulation and erosion of sand uncovering objects heck I've run into areas where all of a sudden I'm finding hoards of low denomination coins only to come back the next day and there's a foot of new sand on top of it and I don't find a single one... That's Beach detecting 101

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody must of done that at my beach too!
But with tent stakes and beer caps!

Rusty, Seems we must be hitting the same beaches. I went 3 times last week and twice this week. Each time I came home with over a roll or two of pennys. Some crusted over but the majority were fresh drops.HH GFP

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone read the thread "metal detecting people must be poor"? Hell, this thread made me realize that I must fit into that category cause I'm to poor to ever throw money away...even pennies.:laughing7:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing. There are lots of people taking videos at the beach these days and I am one of them. Lately, when I see people with detectors in the water that I don't know, I grab my camera. If I catch someone littering the water, I send the video to the City Park Rangers (done that twice now). If you are caught throwing trash in the water or on our beaches, the park rangers can arrest you, confiscate your equipment, fine you and make you do 100 hours of community service. Guess what that would be? That's right, picking up trash at our local beaches. If you throw anything into the water that is not naturally found in water, that includes pennies, then you can be arrested.
This ranks higher than throwing coins in the water, it's an assumption a detectorist put the coins out there, Submitting videos to any authority is far more damaging to our hobby!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi OBN,

Amagine finding you at home and on the computer. Rare day indeed.

I think this person is probably just a tourist with a detector that travels down once a year and finds a few trinkets. This year is bad for detector's, lowest ring count ever. But on the other hand, if they are encouraged by all this talk to come back to our beaches and throw more pennies, well I hope they do it for my camera.

I throw pennies back into the water sometimes, call it a wish for good luck, sort of a payment to the beach gods. In time, I figure every two hundred pennies earns me an extra gold ring. It's a karma thing. I can't say just how many of those pennies I keep retrieving but the karma thing seems to be working. :laughing7:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of HOW these pennies ended up in the saltwater, it's only a matter of a few months
before the edges of these pennies become razor-sharp hazards for an unsuspecting swimmer's foot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread