Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is to the person that came down to Naples Fl. on Vacation and couldn't find anything and got mad and filled the water with PENNY. Would you want some one to do this to your beach, I think not. Don't be a MORON. Leave the beaches and water as clean as you found it.

Upvote 0

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know that it was someone on vacation? Or that they were detecting and didn't find anything?

Maybe they lost a ring and marked the location with pennies.

Maybe they saw someone detecting below the high tide mark, know that the laws do not allow digging below the high tide mark.

Some other reason?

I may be wrong but I can't imagine anyone who regularly hunts an area would "mark" it with metal objects. That is the real reason we take all the trash with us when we leave. Besides saving the planet why would I want to go out tomorrow and get the same penny or pull tab signal that I got or left today.

I can appreciate the family of 4 or 5 who are on the beach and the parents give the kids a few coins to toss into the water to "make a wish". I also understand someone being in a foreign country and having a hand full of local coins and on the last night of their adventure they decide to toss the coins they amassed into the water because they have nothing better to do with them.

When I come across a big coin spill I wonder if it was intentional and what the intent was of whoever did it. If they realize they may have masked a wedding ring or other heirloom that someone lost that asked me to look for it.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
ron lord

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida Public Archaeology Network - Frequently Asked Questions

As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered State sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it.

Frequently Asked Questions - About Us - Florida Division of Historical Resources

Q: Is metal detecting prohibited on state property?
A: Metal detecting on State land is generally prohibited with few exceptions. Many public beaches allow metal detecting between the high tide line and the toe of the dune.
Chlsbrns what state do you live in ? 99.9 % of the water and beaches in Fla. is Public land not State. !!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida Public Archaeology Network - Frequently Asked Questions

As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered State sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it.

Frequently Asked Questions - About Us - Florida Division of Historical Resources

Q: Is metal detecting prohibited on state property?
A: Metal detecting on State land is generally prohibited with few exceptions. Many public beaches allow metal detecting between the high tide line and the toe of the dune.
yep, here's some info that not many people know!!!!!! tried to get a fight started with the state a while back but no one seems very interested,.....a few even said that this info was false!!

ron, i have experianced the same thing, ive also seen it done with paperclips. i think its a jealous detectorist? most likely a vlf guy that wants to screw up the pulse user!!!!!

chuck.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it."

ron, it may not be enforced until they find it convenient but according to fpan its all lands not just public!!!!! they (the state) have been very busy, very sneaky, and very successful in accomplishing their goals!

Can I metal detect in Florida?
Laws regarding metal detecting in Florida are rather confusing —we always encourage anyone interested in metal detecting to always get the permission of the land owner or manager before detecting - that will prevent misunderstandings about what is permitted, trespassing, etc. Most cities and counties have their own ordinances regarding metal detecting - the City Manager, County Commission, or the Parks/Recreation Department can probably tell you. Most coastal cities and counties in Florida do allow metal detecting on their beaches, although some, like St. Johns County, have ordinances that prohibit the removal of historical objects from county lands. They’re all a little different, so that’s why we suggest contacting them directly.

Detecting on state lands is different and the removal of historical objects from state lands is prohibited. Some coastal state parks do not allow metal detecting at all, some will allow it between the shoreward toe of the dunes and the mean high water line, but only for modern objects. Some state parks will only allow detecting for personal items that are specified as lost in a particular area. If counties or cities lease coastal lands from the state, they are required to abide by state laws. Every state park will have an entry station with a ranger on duty, so always ask first.
As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it.

chuck.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also illegal to spit on the sidewalk in many places... Though you never see any citations for sidewalk spitting being written... Now.... Get a bunch of people to start asking bureaucrats questions about the legalities of sidewalk spitting in their town and it won't be long until some enforcement starts to happen.
My point is I don't understand why people would want to make themselves a target to people who otherwise have other things to do.
When it comes to metal detecting the worst part about a squeaky wheel is we all get greased

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just wanted to make certain this thread wasn't about me

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
someday I'll be rich enough to toss dozens of morgans on a beach to watch the fun!!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've hunted wet sand beaches and I'd be popping a penny or a nickle and I'd overhear someone state that I found the coin. Then I know it was planted by some well meaning tourist. If knucklehead would just come up and ask me, I'd explain the hobby and hand them a Kellyco Card so they can see for themselves. I also print the Tnet URL on them so they can see for themselves what can be found.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
MORON ALERT !!!

Oops, sorry,

I saw the title and I thought somebody found my ex-wife's body.

...I didn't figure she would wash ashore this fast.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also illegal to spit on the sidewalk in many places... Though you never see any citations for sidewalk spitting being written... Now.... Get a bunch of people to start asking bureaucrats questions about the legalities of sidewalk spitting in their town and it won't be long until some enforcement starts to happen.
My point is I don't understand why people would want to make themselves a target to people who otherwise have other things to do.
When it comes to metal detecting the worst part about a squeaky wheel is we all get greased

yes, your correct! if i call the city offices in lets say, .....wabasso and tell them about this law/regulation that they probably don't even know about and ask if i can detect wabasso beach they might say, yes just stay out of the water due to the leases. then after learning of the actual wording of the law they might find a good legal reason for getting rid of them dang detectorists. ......everyone gets greased(in a bad way)!!!!!

if however this law/regulation becomes widespread knowledge enough people might finally get ticked off enough to take back some of the rights and freedoms we have lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the squeaky wheel or better yet, the squeaky machine gets greased.

the point is that the law/regulation is very real and if you ever post a manmade item on the forum over 50 years old and say you found it detecting in the water or wetsand they could come get it and nail your but!!!! the very fact that they have done this and that you are not allowed to keep any manmade item over 50 years old found on the beach should really tick you off!!!
or how about the response,...."you can detect, you just cant dig or disturb the ground"!!!!! makes me want to do evil things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuck.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to take the strain off course but legally speaking everything on here is just hearsay without actually seeing somebody remove an object... what is said on here to go along with some photos is not proof enough of anything.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what I found in waist deep water off of Wabasso beach yesterday

treasure.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV