Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur Blue 15" WOT coil
Minelab Excalibur Blue 12" SEF coil
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a big difference between your beaches on the east coast and our beaches here on the west side. What you are suggesting is true if your on the east coast. I hunt in the Miami area six or more times a year. Storms make big changes on your beaches and stir the pot exposing new targets that have just been hidden by deep sand. In just a short distance off shore your waters go deep, but on the west coast you have to go out twenty miles to hit deep waters and then they are only half as deep as yours. Last year your winds ran on shore most of the summer and resulted in loss of sand in some places up to the sea walls exposing tons of targets. It was the same in Palm Beach and all the way up at Daytona. I know because I hunted most of the east coast of Florida.

I've been hunting going on twenty years. I have hunted in NewEngland and LA and most places in between. What I have learned is that ever beach geographically is different in simple ways. West coast beaches are some of the most stable types, or in other words, you can can hunt them year after year and always know what to expect. The exception to that would be the after effects of a hurricane or city beach replenishment projects.

Your theory's seem right for your beaches, but have nothing to do with our beaches. Explanation: If we have a storm out of the west, tons of sand is pushed in and covers up targets with two to three foot of sand. It can take months to move all that sand back out to sea. When this happens, you can't find any targets unless they were dropped today. The term for that is "Our beaches are sanded in". The sand I'm talking about doesn't even have shells in it, not even small pieces of shell, so what are the chances that the storm might choose to pick up hundreds of pennies, nothing else, and drop all of them on the most congested part of our beaches? No Rings, No Silver, No Pull Tabs, No steel, and not even one sinker, just sand and in an effort to be nice to detector people, it lays all those pennies right on top of the sand so that we wont miss them.

I don't mean to show any disrespect to any of your comments here, and I'm sure that pennies show up on your beaches just like you say and you seem good with that, OK, I get it.

That is not what happened here.

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
For the record, I have been a member of this forum since 2006 and reading much longer than that. Up to this week, I had only posted comments maybe ten times. I love reading the posts here and find them entertaining and helpful. I worked in electronics for many years and now repair detectors for friends during the winter months. Spend five days a week in the water and average over hundred rings a year. I'm comfortable with what I know about detecting and know for sure that I have this hobby to thank for the good health I still have. I'm 67 years old and find that I have trouble hunting six days a week but do it sometimes anyway.

I just want people to respect our beaches in the same way I do. People shouldn't come down here expecting to pay for their vacations with finds and get mad when they don't. People who try to make a living detecting down here should not get mad when they fail. I know that a lot of people find rings here, not lots of rings, but those rings belong to people who lost them and I try to return them when I can. I keep the rest.

You can't feed yourself and pay your bills from ring money, don't delude yourself into believing that. Getting mad and making it difficult for others wont solve your personal problems. We all want to find rings and were proud of ourselves when we do. It's a hobby and it good for us.

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
bigscoop, thank you for your comments. I'm sure that in some small way you have reasons for feeling the way you do about tourists and laws. We are not all the same and I have nothing to fear regarding laws and tourists.

Now, let me caution you for a moment. There are a lot of tourist that we can live without. City counsels on this coast like the service we provide for free. The number of fish hook injuries involving children has dropped over the last few years and credit for that goes to detector people. Park rangers always want to take a look at what we remove from the beaches and I am more than obliging. Some days I remove lots of fish hooks and other days none, but the park rangers will report what they have seen to their bosses and our efforts don't go unnoticed.

My caution for you is that you can't hide from the truth and live your life like a nervous Nelly. When someone behaves badly, they need to be stopped before they hurt the rest of us. This hobby helps us and the community. My God, it is just a hobby!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140804_095800.png

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Right on GatorBoy!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, thank you for your comments. I'm sure that in some small way you have reasons for feeling the way you do about tourists and laws. We are not all the same and I have nothing to fear regarding laws and tourists.

Now, let me caution you for a moment. There are a lot of tourist that we can live without. City counsels on this coast like the service we provide for free. The number of fish hook injuries involving children has dropped over the last few years and credit for that goes to detector people. Park rangers always want to take a look at what we remove from the beaches and I am more than obliging. Some days I remove lots of fish hooks and other days none, but the park rangers will report what they have seen to their bosses and our efforts don't go unnoticed.

My caution for you is that you can't hide from the truth and live your life like a nervous Nelly. When someone behaves badly, they need to be stopped before they hurt the rest of us. This hobby helps us and the community. My God, it is just a hobby!

Fair enough. Do what you feel you must. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that the beach community needs those metal detectors.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Preach on brother! An ya that jim carrey face hits the note perfectly cracked me up good

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough. Do what you feel you must. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that the beach community needs those metal detectors.

that is true, the beaches here could use a lil more of this:

And less of this:

Last time i took my kids to the beach it wasnt sharks and jelly fish they were scared of, it was the people!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are missing a couple of very "key" points, that if not careful, could be forced into play. I'm just suggesting you don't point fingers because you sure don't want them pointing back. :thumbsup:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true.. When any government officials are forced to deal with a problem they will choose the answer that lies in the path of least resistance.
In this case it would be make the problem go away... In other words just put up a few signs that say no metal detecting... Problem solved tourist happy tourist money secured... End of story

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and Stoker... I've spent time on both coasts and have spent most of my life in and around the water to the point I'm surprised I don't have gills sand is sand... water...is water....some places like where you are the sand is finer grained which basically means it takes even less to move it especially the surface layers.
Coin hole...coin line... These are terms many people are used to.. I've hit huge patches of them... The fact you weren't finding pull tabs and aluminum makes perfect sense I guarantee if you moved up the nearest slope from where you were finding the pennies you would start finding lighter material.
Of course you find the most where the most people tend to gather

Last edited:

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
hey bigscoop,

read your private message and thank you for it. I've lived in Florida 42 years. Been involved in politics and chairman of my local party. City ordinances allow for all activities, including metal detectors, as long as you bury your holes, do not throw trash on the beach and do not become a public nuisance. The laws apply equally for all beach goers no matter what activity they follow. State laws vs local laws vary greatly and provide for differences in enforcement. Their are many cities on the west coast as well as on the east coast that fully control their beaches in and out of the water. On the east coast, there are some communities that have requested exceptions to state laws, and received them, based on the good that comes from allowing detectors on beaches. Do your research and you will find that to be true. The State of Florida knows that there is a higher rate of injury for swimmers when at beaches that prohibit detecting. The State of Florida sees the value provided and ignores their own laws because it works out that tourist that are happy are tourists that will come back. State of Florida also knows that when people loose their valuable rings, they want someone to find them. Florida would risk loosing a percentage of annual tourism if they stated enforcing laws that were only intended in the beginning to regulate people like Mel Fisher, not someone like me.

All the good things I do and all the good things others do will never receive the attention that the bad deeds of a moron will get. If your child were to steel something at the drug store, would you tell people not to point fingers and just let it slide for fear that someone might enforce the law? I'm sure you wouldn't, because your child might only be encouraged if that happened.

Focus on stopping the bad guy and spend your time pointing out the good things we do. Everything will work out just fine like it has since Fisher caused this ruckus twenty years or so age.

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
OK, I give up. I guess I don't know anything and you guys are true experts. Good for you. Sometimes I just get sucked into these kind of conversations.

Hope you will continue to share all your wisdom and keep the rest of us on the straight. Anyway, thank you for sharing and all your comments.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The State of Florida sees the value provided and ignores their own laws...." And with pointed out, and your experience in politics, you should now see the possibilities that could be forced to come about if that wrong button gets pushed and pursued. Anyway, I think this conversation should probably end here and I'm sure you understand why. Just let me say that sometimes even the best intentions and motives can turn out badly.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorist are such a small group that the state doesn't need us. If they start having problems of any kind they will just put up the signs. We need to keep very low key. Trust me, they don't need us and don't care. Money talks and we don't provide enough for them to care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron lord

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK everyone this is my theard, take your fight some where else. RON Lord

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out of here too Mo
Betta to go beach and rock fly on the water.
Too much talk stink Ron
Not enough talk story
Aloha
OK everyone this is my theard, take your fight some where else. RON Lord

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread