HART PAPERS... ANOTHER "cover-story"? HAZLEWOOD/HART Ciphers?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
From PV (RIP)... CSA "assets" were off-loaded at Thaxton Switch, on the V & T RR (WEST of LIBERTY/Bedford Town); in coffins of CSA "war deads" CSA KIA... "kins". Coffins taken to a barn, near-by (I think it was Rebel 1st Lt. Newton Hazlewood's farm,"over-looked" by Peaks of Otter). PV has this in his book, BEALE TREASURE; NEW History of a Mystery, will find pages. later. :coffee2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

FOUND IT! Page 171; "It was dark, when the train (V & T) slowed & pulled into a siding at the THAXTON SWITCH.... (i)n any event, the Advance Man was there waiting, with a sturdy wagon drawn by two horses....". Goes on to "say", pine coffins filled with containers of GOLD & SILVER were off-loaded & taken "to a REMOTE farm, owned by relatives.... (t)hey pushed the wagon into an earthen-floor barn.... (t)he boys will be buried, tomorrow", people were told." (p. 171). More, LATER! THIS is the "genesis" of PV's CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit, a FACTION, written in the "form" of a Novel, with info from papers in the RAGLAND Family's Possession, released in 2004; so was PV's book.
TY, PV! RIP! I will continue to do R & I on THIS!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The NEXT question is WHERE is that "property"; read somewhere that N. H. Hazlewood was BURIED on his "property".
R & I: HE WAS! PV's THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a Mystery; 1883 - NHH "bought a parcel of 59 acres", walking distance to Bufordville & RR Station; with a KNOLL, where he built his house, had a BARN... northern edge abutted the RR tracks. NHH had a horse & cow; southern edge of farm was the East-West Turn-pike (aka Great Western Road). (p. 152). On the KNOLL is where he was buried; died in Roanoke, Va. & "(a)n Episcopal service was conducted at Christ Episcopal Church.... (t)he body was interred on a KNOLL, about 100 yards from his house where, a few weeks earlier, he had made a remark that 'this is the SPOT' where he'd like to be buried'.... The family homestead burned down in 1938". (p. 155). NHH was a FreeMason, and had a FULL SET of the works of Shakespeare; called "Captain" by associates (he was 1st Lt. CSA); when employed as Chief Clerk, his boss was CSA General William Mahone, 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MORE "clues" coming in... CSA Gen. William Mahone; 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason... AND! VMI GRAD! (Class of 1847... degree in Civil Engineering); Civil Engineer! He was PRESIDENT of the Railroad Company, that NHH worked for...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
R & I: HE WAS! PV's THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a Mystery; 1883 - NHH "bought a parcel of 59 acres", walking distance to Bufordville & RR Station; with a KNOLL, where he built his house, had a BARN... northern edge abutted the RR tracks. NHH had a horse & cow; southern edge of farm was the East-West Turn-pike (aka Great Western Road). (p. 152). On the KNOLL is where he was buried; died in Roanoke, Va. & "(a)n Episcopal service was conducted at Christ Episcopal Church.... (t)he body was interred on a KNOLL, about 100 yards from his house where, a few weeks earlier, he had made a remark that 'this is the SPOT' where he'd like to be buried'.... The family homestead burned down in 1938". (p. 155). NHH was a FreeMason, and had a FULL SET of the works of Shakespeare; called "Captain" by associates (he was 1st Lt. CSA); when employed as Chief Clerk, his boss was CSA General William Mahone, 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.

Think I'm gonna go to Montvale, Va. & look around; may see where NHH's place was; gonna go by 1863 CONFEDERATE WAR "Engineer Map"; PV had one in his closet at Hamilton's (office where he wrote his books).

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Got a copy of the map... VERY interesting; looks like the one that PV (RIP) had in his office, when I last saw him...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
CSA LT Newton Hazelwood would have had knowledge of the last resort movements of the Confederate treasury after Richmond's fall ,April 2,1865, but only had a vague idea of its finial deposit location. He did have property near the Peaks of Otter, and would have search, still knowing that the US Federal government held claim to all the remaining Confederate assets.
Getting up in age, Hazelwood realized the 1885 Beale Papers would be a perfect cover for his search for CSA treasury portion of which he had knowledge, and handing Clayton Hart the ciphers to copy, got the Hart brothers involved in the hunt for the "Beale " treasure, while all along Hazelwood was looking for that of the CSA.
Now this, I admit, is conjecture on my part, but if Hazelwood hadn't involved the Harts, the 1885 Beale Papers would have been long forgotten.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
CSA LT Newton Hazelwood would have had knowledge of the last resort movements of the Confederate treasury after Richmond's fall ,April 2,1865, but only had a vague idea of its finial deposit location. He did have property near the Peaks of Otter, and would have search, still knowing that the US Federal government held claim to all the remaining Confederate assets.
Getting up in age, Hazelwood realized the 1885 Beale Papers would be a perfect cover for his search for CSA treasury portion of which he had knowledge, and handing Clayton Hart the ciphers to copy, got the Hart brothers involved in the hunt for the "Beale " treasure, while all along Hazelwood was looking for that of the CSA.
Now this, I admit, is conjecture on my part, but if Hazelwood hadn't involved the Harts, the 1885 Beale Papers would have been long forgotten.
I ALSO think this is what happened... still reviewing & "working my sources"...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hazzlewood's copies came along after the Beale publication, so again, it all began with the publication of the Beale papers and this includes Hazzlewood's copies as well. Not so much as a whisper of a rumor regarding the ciphers or the alleged treasure until the Beale papers were published. So if anything, Hazzlewood's copies were just that, copies. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOPE! N. Hazlewood MAY have had the Ciphers from the CONFEDERATE WAR (@1865), 20 years BEFORE the publishing & release of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet in 1885... dunno. What we DO know is by Feb., 1885 or so Maj. FC Hutter was dead & buried.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
NOPE! N. Hazlewood MAY have had the Ciphers from the CONFEDERATE WAR (@1865), 20 years BEFORE the publishing & release of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet in 1885... dunno. What we DO know is by Feb., 1885 or so Maj. FC Hutter was dead & buried.

So Hart had cipher's that were other numbers then the Beale cipher numbers ?
I seem to remember some mistakes on some ciphers !

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Mistakes"....who gets to decide which ones possessed the mistakes? :laughing7: Oh wait, thus far at some point they've all been claimed to hold mistakes. Silly me! :laughing7:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Mistakes"....who gets to decide which ones possessed the mistakes? :laughing7: Oh wait, thus far at some point they've all been claimed to hold mistakes. Silly me! :laughing7:
BUT OF COURSE! LOL! The Hazlewood/HART CIPHERS were INTENTIONAL mistakes... to MISLEAD the FEDS! Heh...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOW! As to NHH's CSA service... "When the Civil War began in 1861, 21 year-old Newton joined the 'Old Dominion Rifles' (Company C) of the 28th Regiment Virginia Infantry; he served under Capt. Thomas M. Bowyer. He was mustered into service on May 25th by Lt. Col. Langhon.... later, ("H") served under Capt. Richard Johnson and then in 'Latham's Battery'.... Later in life, his associates called him 'CAPTAIN' (he was only 1st Lt. EARNED)... an honorary title of respect like... COLONEL, MAJOR." Chap. 19, TRUSTED FRIEND, pg. 150-151; PV's THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So, when the subject, during his trance, claimed he could see not only the alleged buried treasure, but would be able to lead us to it, we determined to test him out.

One nice Spring evening in 1899, the writer and his brother departed from Roanoke about five o'clock p. m. in the family buggy, drawn by the faithful family horse, Old Nell. We carried what we believed to be the necessary equipment, (other than dynamite, with which I would have no part), that equipment including picks, shovels, lanterns, rope, an axe, etc. And with us, of course, was our confident crystal reader-that is, confident to the Nth degree when he was gazing into the crystal ball.

REALLY !!:BangHead:

Hart Papers
...and now you use an account in the HART PAPERS to prove the Beale story true.
Really?

O

Old Silver

...and now you use an account in the HART PAPERS to prove the Beale story true.
Really?

And you used the same in quoting a part of the Hart papers that you like. What's the difference?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread