OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without giving out any confidential information you could tell us if the codes really tell of a treasure or are they secret messages? Do the codes many anything at all? Does this incorporate your Thomas J. Beale in RIchmond that ECS gave you? There are a lot of things you could tell us without giving out the secrets of your fellow researchers.

This is tough to skirt around without possibly saying too much, let me think on it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This is tough to skirt around without possibly saying too much, let me think on it.
"Let me sleep on it
Baby, Baby
Let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it, I'll get back with you in the morning"
-Meatloaf/ with Jim Steinmen

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS has often used a Doyle quote about the obvious remaining as the only conclusion. Truth is, he was spot on, it's just that none of us were listening, not even ECS. When this obvious finally slams you in the face don't say I didn't warn you in advance that it was coming. “Connections”...that's what the unknown author asked us to make and he put all the was required in his narration.

R. Morriss (and his description)
Clay
Coles
Witcher
Jackson
Chief Justice Marshall
J. B. Ward
Thomas J. Beale
Buford's
Sarah Morriss (and her description)
Max G. (and his description)
Santa Fe
Saint Louis
Richmond
“The company being formed...”
“Old Virginia”
“the candle worth the flame”
“from some western portion of the state”
“most distinguishing feature”
“Ten year term”
an anonymous author
“never recovered”
etc., etc., etc.

What is the one root common in all of these? And then the bigger question, how do they all tie together? And above all else, remember that the papers were not penned until just prior to the publication by someone who held a lot of accumulated knowledge about all of this. And this is all I can offer you, won't be allowed to tell you if your curiosities and suspicions are correct.

PS: If you're thinking in terms of treasure then you'll never be on the correct path.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Let me sleep on it
Baby, Baby
Let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it, I'll get back with you in the morning"
-Meatloaf/ with Jim Steinmen

With all that I have researched over the years concerning the Beale mystery this guy has me feeling like the bat-boy. :laughing7:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that I have researched over the years concerning the Beale mystery this guy has me feeling like the bat-boy. :laughing7:

From what you have shown it does not look too convincing to me. How about you ECS? Or Rebel KGC?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
“the candle worth the flame”
The actual quote from the Beale May 9th letter about the candle:
"Be the result what it may,however, the GAME is worth the candle, and we will play it to the end".
The reference is made to a "GAME", not a flame, the game being the ciphers.
Now compare the phrase to Shakespeare's "TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA"
"The game is not worth the candle"
A strange coincidence if it were not for Ward's exposure to the Bard's works by way of his thespian father, Giles Ward, and co-owner of WARD & DIGGES BOOKSELLERS of Lynchburg, who also carried copies of Abraham Ree's CYCLOPAEDIA which contained Dr William Blair's entry, "Writing In Cipher" with four plates of illustrations of ciphers.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A strange coincidence if it were not for Ward's exposure to the Bard's works by way of his thespian father, Giles Ward, and co-owner of WARD & DIGGES BOOKSELLERS of Lynchburg, who also carried copies of Abraham Ree's CYCLOPAEDIA which contained Dr William Blair's entry, "Writing In Cipher" with four plates of illustrations of ciphers.

My father, who I am still very close to, has always loved cars with a passion......I have always hated them. Point is, it's quite an assumption to conclude that Ward was overly exposed to any interest his father may have had or that he had anything to do with Booksellers. What is required is what we can connect through documentation. The author of this new theory has it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The actual quote from the Beale May 9th letter about the candle:
"Be the result what it may,however, the GAME is worth the candle, and we will play it to the end".
The reference is made to a "GAME", not a flame, the game being the ciphers.
Now compare the phrase to Shakespeare's "TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA"
"The game is not worth the candle"

There are a few things concerning J. B. Ward and his wife that you're not aware of. Once you discover this you'll start to reconsider the list I have presented. :icon_thumleft:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a few things concerning J. B. Ward and his wife that you're not aware of. Once you discover this you'll start to reconsider the list I have presented.
James Beverly Ward was married to Harriet Emmaline Buford, daughter of John Buford and Angeline Brown-Otey Buford.
Ward's father, Giles Ward married Adeline Risqué, daughter of James Beverly Risqué.
John William Sherman's parents were William N Sherman and Harriet Otey Sherman, daughter of John ad Elizabeth Otey.
Are you agreeing with my "All in the Family" background for the 1885 Beale Papers.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few things concerning J. B. Ward and his wife that you're not aware of. Once you discover this you'll start to reconsider the list I have presented. :icon_thumleft:

I do know that James B. Ward's wife just about lost her mind while in St. Louis and Sherman lost his mind also. So if we are to believe what you have posted we would have to loose our minds also.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James Beverly Ward was married to Harriet Emmaline Buford, daughter of John Buford and Angeline Brown-Otey Buford.
Ward's father, Giles Ward married Adeline Risqué, daughter of James Beverly Risqué.

Well, there it is, but not just a local family thing.......:laughing7: You're convinced it's all just fiction......."not so."
And this isn't my theory......

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, Bigscoop hasn't presented anything that we didn't already know.

Mr. Doyle would tell you there is a conclusion “too obvious” to be missed, and yet we all had.

Thomas J. Beale, of Richmond, that same city where your author had important business affairs, is a man, the only man of record who fits the author's description. Now all you really have to do is to figure out what this man had in common with your all in the family theory? This is the vital missing link in your theory.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Information about Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward, Richmond is sketchy at best, unless, of course, your "unknown" theory author has discovered compelling evidence that can definitely connect this freeman of color to the 1885 Beale Papers. So far, all you have stated is nothing more that conjecture and speculation based on the description of Beale given in the job pamphlet, which, by your admission("narrated in the required illusive manner"), have concurred is a fictional account.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Information about Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward, Richmond is sketchy at best, unless, of course, your "unknown" theory author has discovered compelling evidence that can definitely connect this freeman of color to the 1885 Beale Papers. So far, all you have stated is nothing more that conjecture and speculation based on the description of Beale given in the job pamphlet, which, by your admission("narrated in the required illusive manner"), have concurred is a fictional account.

ECS, like me, I know that you have had all of the information right in front of you but that you're just allowing your pet theory to prevent you from making that one vital connection. It's right there, right in front of you. Once you see it you'll know right where to start looking. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you referring to the Underground Railroad theory based on the Nov 1819 William Still birthdate and the Dec 1821 birthdate of Harriet Tubman?
...and J B Ward was a pseudonym for Rev John Rankin, an abolitionist?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Mr. Doyle would tell you there is a conclusion “too obvious” to be missed, and yet we all had.

Thomas J. Beale, of Richmond, that same city where your author had important business affairs, is a man, the only man of record who fits the author's description. Now all you really have to do is to figure out what this man had in common with your all in the family theory? This is the vital missing link in your theory.
HA! YOU know, already... tell us! "Of record"... INDEED!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread