OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can appreciate your desire to still want to believe in the whole mining possibility but "prior to 1827" isn't exactly in the described period as this could also easily mean sometime in 23,24,25,26? And on top of this documented mining history clearly rebuts any chance that a highly successful SILVER mining operation was in operation in the region in the described region. And if one determines to settle on ores then this brings into a play an entire array of other highly unlikely circumstances which pretty much scraps that notion. 10 ox and 10 wagons? Even with empty wagons this would bring about extremely slow travel into the already highly questionable travel time detailed, and all of this over very rough and rugged terrains to boot. And so on and so on. So in the end the whole notion of a highly successful mining operation as described in the Beale papers just wasn't possible during the era described.

O

Old Silver

I can appreciate your desire to still want to believe in the whole mining possibility but "prior to 1827" isn't exactly in the described period as this could also easily mean sometime in 23,24,25,26? And on top of this documented mining history clearly rebuts any chance that a highly successful SILVER mining operation was in operation in the region in the described region. And if one determines to settle on ores then this brings into a play an entire array of other highly unlikely circumstances which pretty much scraps that notion. 10 ox and 10 wagons? Even with empty wagons this would bring about extremely slow travel into the already highly questionable travel time detailed, and all of this over very rough and rugged terrains to boot. And so on and so on. So in the end the whole notion of a highly successful mining operation as described in the Beale papers just wasn't possible during the era described.

Before 1827 is not in the Beale period? You might want to rethink that. Anyway, I didn't say this was a Beale mine, now did I? This was about the existence of the mines. They existed before they were discovered.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before 1827 is not in the Beale period? You might want to rethink that. Anyway, I didn't say this was a Beale mine, now did I? This was about the existence of the mines. They existed before they were discovered.

1817-1822, so no, 1827 is not the Beale period. In fact, many-many things started to change after 1821 in that region of the country as those borders were now clearly detailed and confirmed and western expansion was starting to be further debated, frequently encouraged, and challenged. So I just don't think those years after 1821 can be compared to those years prior.

O

Old Silver

1817-1822, so no, 1827 is not the Beale period. In fact, many-many things started to change after 1821 in that region of the country as those borders were now clearly detailed and confirmed and western expansion was starting to be further debated, frequently encouraged, and challenged. So I just don't think those years after 1821 can be compared to those years prior.

I didn't say 1827, I said BEFORE 1827.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say 1827, I said BEFORE 1827.

I understand that, but like I said, you have no specific period "of before" so this could simply mean "a couple of years before", or say, in 1823, 24,25,26? But even if it was an already worked mine this doesn't even nullify the biggest obstacle/obstacles that still remain in the tale, and there are many.

O

Old Silver

I understand that, but like I said, you have no specific period "of before" so this could simply mean "a couple of years before", or say, in 1823, 24,25,26? But even if it was an already worked mine this doesn't even nullify the biggest obstacle/obstacles that still remain in the tale, and there are many.

I thought we were talking about whether or not the mines existed.
This mine being associated with Thomas Beale is a question mark, but it's also a possibility, obstacles notwithstanding.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Beale Treasure
This addresses some of what Bigscoop mentioned.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
As Bigscoop has pointed out, those" mines in the area" did not exist until 50 years after the alleged Beale story expedition.

Wrong again, there was mining from 1500's on in the area by Spanish and French !

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
John Pickerel Risque, brother of James Beverly Risque, was an inspector of mines in Arizona, etc (ALL American territories), until he was killed by Indians in 1882 or so. PV, in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY wrote, "Hutter heard that his 33-year old cousin, John Pickerel Risque (ACTUALLY, a Grand Uncle, since JB Risque was his Grand-Father), had been killed by Indians in Arizona. His death came as he was returning home with a party that had been inspecting some sort of mine. This news came as a shock. Hutter had always found John's adventures fascinating." (p. 162).

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Pickerel Risque, brother of James Beverly Risque, was an inspector of mines in Arizona, etc (ALL American territories), until he was killed by Indians in 1882 or so. PV, in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY wrote, "Hutter heard that his 33-year old cousin, John Pickerel Risque (ACTUALLY, a Grand Uncle, since JB Risque was his Grand-Father), had been killed by Indians in Arizona. His death came as he was returning home with a party that had been inspecting some sort of mine. This news came as a shock. Hutter had always found John's adventures fascinating." (p. 162).

This is still "many years" past the alleged Beale adventure.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it was, and another influence utilized in the 1885 Beale Papers, and later, the Hart Papers, another connection to that intertwining family bloodline that began with James Beverly Risqué and that duel with Thomas Beale.

O

Old Silver

Yes it was, and another influence utilized in the 1885 Beale Papers, and later, the Hart Papers, another connection to that intertwining family bloodline that began with James Beverly Risqué and that duel with Thomas Beale.

Do you know that for a fact? That is a positive statement and requires proof.

O

Old Silver

Yes it is, and you are free to research that information.

I don't need to research it. You're the one who made the statement, so the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread