Why C2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Silver

Beale never says that anyone found about their alleged mine. He only questions if someone might pose as an imposter at some later date. Up to this point his alleged letters never say that anyone else other then the alleged party members, an alleged person in St. Louis, and Morriss knew about the alleged mine. The fact that Cockrell worked the mine in 1823 and didn't encounter the Beale party then, or get rich from his efforts, says quite a bit, I think. And I'm fairly sure that had Cockrell's mining effort produced much at all worth the effort then he would have probably gone back himself to get more. And remember, none of this is coming directly from Cockrell himself so here again it's all secondhand information.

Oh but he did say someone had found out:

"One recommended Santa Fé as the safest place to deposit it, while others objected, and advocated its shipment at once to the States, where it was ultimately bound to go, and where alone it would be safe. The idea seemed to prevail, and it was doubtless correct. that when outside parties ascertained, as they would do, that we kept nothing on hand to tempt their cupidity, our lives would be more secure than at present."

He said that outside parties found out what they were up to, and it put their lives in an unsecure position. You can see from the letter sent from St. Louis that Beale was careful to not mention treasure, or names, even his own. This was a letter sent through the mail. Even in the letter left to Morriss in the iron box, Beale said "I thought, at first, to give you their names in this letter. but reflecting that some one may read the letter, and thus be enabled to impose upon you by personating some member of the party, have decided the present plan is best." So, even in this letter, Beale was careful to not give names, even his own, as he signed it T.J.B. Why was Beale so careful, even with letters left in the iron box? Could it be for reasons he stated?

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

The fact that Cockrell worked the mine in 1823 and didn't encounter the Beale party then, or get rich from his efforts, says quite a bit, I think. And I'm fairly sure that had Cockrell's mining effort produced much at all worth the effort then he would have probably gone back himself to get more. And remember, none of this is coming directly from Cockrell himself so here again it's all secondhand information.

But we don't know that Cockrell did work the mines. We have his claim for doing so. Either he did work them, which is proof of mines being worked in the area in 1823, or he ASCERTAINED someone else had worked them.

No one said Cockrell got rich, and no one said he didn't. He could have been rich for all I know, but that's not the point. The point is, the mine was there, in the location the Beale story claims, and it was worked at least as early as 1823, if not earlier. 1817-1832 was the time frame for the Beale party. And we also don't know that Cockrell didn't encounter the Beale party, therefore you can't call either of these things fact.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Beale never says that anyone found about their alleged mine. He only questions if someone might pose as an imposter at some later date. Up to this point his alleged letters never say that anyone else other then the alleged party members, an alleged person in St. Louis, and Morriss knew about the alleged mine. The fact that Cockrell worked the mine in 1823 and didn't encounter the Beale party then, or get rich from his efforts, says quite a bit, I think. And I'm fairly sure that had Cockrell's mining effort produced much at all worth the effort then he would have probably gone back himself to get more. And remember, none of this is coming directly from Cockrell himself so here again it's all secondhand information.
James Cockrell never had a mine, only claimed he saw a silver steak in rock in the Rocky Mountains. He then went to Missouri to recruit men to return to Colorado to create a mine, but never could find the area where he saw the silver streak. The his band of men had an encounter with some very unfriendly Indians who were not fond of pale face intrusion on their land. Cockrell is a poor example in trying to validate the Beale story. No silver, No mine, just misinformation.
http://www.justtrails.com/great-adventures/te-big-guy-saves-day/

O

Old Silver

James Cockrell never had a mine, only claimed he saw a silver steak in rock in the Rocky Mountains. He then went to Missouri to recruit men to return to Colorado to create a mine, but never could find the area where he saw the silver streak. The his band of men had an encounter with some very unfriendly Indians who were not fond of pale face intrusion on their land. Cockrell is a poor example in trying to validate the Beale story. No silver, No mine, just misinformation.
http://www.justtrails.com/great-adventures/te-big-guy-saves-day/

And the Beale story author never said the story was a history, either, right ECS?:laughing7: You're really not doing very well with this stuff, are you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread