PROVEN TO MYSELF THE BEALE TREASURE IS A STORY MADE UP

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up... So you can keep searching if you want to but take warning of the authors words about using the time only that you can spare because I can for a fact say the Beale Treasure does not exist.
With your endless genealogy, deed and land map searches, and total lack of confirming evidence outside of the job print pamphlet, you are proving the evidence that supports your statement "the Beale Treasure does not exist".

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take the C2 cipher as presented by the author, the key as presented by the author, and then apply this same "exact" key to the same "exact" C2 cipher and see if you come up with the same "exact" clear text for C2 that the author did, just as he said he did? Sure, we all know about the adjustments that have to be made in order for things to start panning out, but the author made no mention of this in relation to his, "already numbered and presented key." :laughing9:

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To deny the existence of the Beale Treasure is very hard to do especially when it challenges your intellect. Most people pursue the cypher codes because they believe they are intelligent enough to accomplish this feat. They find that there actually was a Washington Hotel in Lynchburg, Va., that Robert Morriss was the proprietor even though years after Thomas J. Beale was to have been there. Other than these two facts and the fact of Robert Morriss' wife being Sarah Mitchell and the fact that James Beverly Ward did live near Lynchburg and there was a Job Printing Company. Other than these few facts none of the stories in Thomas J. Beale's letters can be verified. The original letters have never been found and the author did not even give his name. The letters were signed TJB not Thomas J. Beale or the infamous Thomas Jefferson Beale, which no one has any proof of ever existed. Sure grandfather James Beverly Risque had a duel with a Thomas Beale in Fincastle, Va. Beale left because of reprisals from family and went to New Orleans, then to Europe and then coming back and married the Governor's daughter, fought in the Battle of New Orleans then died in September, 1820. Not a man that could have buried a treasure in Bedford County, Virginia. Then there was his young son, Thomas Beale, Jr. After his father's death he built the plantation home where his father passed away. He kept up two hotels and raised produce on the plantation. He did good business up until the later end of 1822 when his health started down hill like his father's and he passed away in 1823. So neither of these two Thomas Beale's had anything to do with burying of a treasure in Bedford County, Virginia.

Since, now all we have is the story itself printed in what has become known as the Job Print Pamphlet or the Beale Papers, copyrighted in 1884 and published in 1885. Only a few copies sold and James Beverly Ward told Clayton Hart in 1903 that most of the pamphlets had burned in a fire at the Printing Press Office. Well the Print Office burned in 1883 a full year before the copyright and over two years before the publication.

So now we have to fall back on the content of the Job Print Pamphlet and what exactly the un-named author said and did. He said by accident he broke the code paper marked number 2 by using a copy of the DOI which he numbered and placed in the pamphlet as proof of his work. Now if you go and decipher C2 for yourself you will find amazingly that the un-named author made several and I do mean several mistakes in his decipherment. Do the decipherment of C2 before you even think about deciphering C1--the exact locality of the vault and C3 ----the names of his associates and to whom the shares of the treasure are to go to with their exact locations.

C2 will convince you that the story is made up by the un-named author. I wasted over fifty years on this STORY so please do not waste yours! But if you are still not convinced then you may continue to hunt and you may find another treasure in the process but there is no Thomas J. Beale Treasure buried in Bedford County, Virginia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good question I would like for someone to answer that wants to continue the search for a treasure that never existed.

The author was given the ironbox with the three cipher codes and the letters addressed to Robert Morriss. It seems from their contract that the author was to receive one half of Robert Morriss' share and that being a share of the treasure after it would be divided into 31 equal shares.

At that time the treasure was worth about $750,000 or about $25,000 a share and the other would have gotten one-half of that amount or about $12,500. With $12,500 at stake for the author why did he not seek out people that knew anything about a Thomas J. Beale staying in Lynchburg at the Washington Hotel or at Robert Morriss' home?
Why did he not enquire of others that could confirm Thomas J. Beale there were scores of people still living in 1862 that could confirm or deny a Thomas J. Beale.

Why did not this author go and talk to Paschal Buford and Francis Otey his wife, I mean the author had 23 years before publication and going to the public to solve this mystery and recover his $12,500. The reason being the author conferred with no one was because the story is fabricated. Think about it if you were the author. Would you work on these cipher codes that seemingly for a very long time had no "key" and could not be solved, would you not have sought out people that could confirm the story. There were hundreds of people still living in Bedford County and in Campbell County and it the City of Lynchburg that could have confirmed this tall dark stranger. Yet the author sat and worked on cipher codes until he was deprived of means of making a living. I do not believe it.

As for the mistakes I mentioned in the Job Print Pamphlet proves that the author did not work on these ciphers for 23 years and out of desperation now turned it over to the public in hopes that some poor deserving individual would find the "key" and recover the treasure. Why worry about a "key", why worry about cipher codes, why did the author not talk to the people that could verify the story before driving his family in dire straits of poverty? I believe it is really silly if anyone can believe that this far fetched story of a treasure ever existed in reality it is purely fabricated from books and local happenings.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, all kinds of TRUE, AUTHENTIC events of the past could have "influenced' the BPP/"JOB PRINT" such as the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery, Z. Pike Expedition, Mining stories up to @ 1882, Jesse & Frank James "Wha Hoos", etc. to be published & released to the MASS MARKET in L'burg, Va., in 1885 +; even Mark Twain & EAP "figure in"... :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others can carry on the hunt but as far as my 50 odd years of work on the Beale Treasure Mystery is finished. The Job Print Pamphlet or the Beale Papers is nothing but a good story that has come back to life by Pauline Innis and earlier by the Hart Brothers. The story I now believe is fiction and James B. Ward did it for the money. He needs to roll over in the grave and face straight down or the Earth needs to crack open and bury him deeper in the ground. Pitiful a man could start and not end a treasure story of fantastic fantasy. Carry on, I am finished. Say what you will, research what you will and have fun wasting your time,

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel KGC, My good friend, we need to find descendants of James Beverly Ward. We need to find out if there is any journals or diaries. I know James Beverly Ward had a diary. I do not know however if it was James Beverly Ward, Sr. or James Beverly Ward, Jr. James Beverly Ward, Jr. was killed in a hunting accident in 1856 so I suspect the diary was James Beverly Ward, Sr. Now Peter Viemeister's wife should still have his papers and his books that were kept in a safe. We need to find this diary and see if he kept it during the 1880's or if there is anything that will tell us whether the Beale Papers were an actual story or fiction.

This is the only way this mystery is ever going to be solved. Rebel KGC, Old Friend, if you still have his wife's address or phone number or a new husband if she remarried please E-Mail them to me or send me a PM. I want to bring this Beale Treasure Mystery to an END that we all can live with. Myself I believe it was all just a book for sale to raise revenue for some event or for their own gain. Please find this information and get it to me. I know his wife and sons but I do not know where they are. Help Please.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Mrs Gorham B Walker Jr
Peter O Ward Jr
William B Hutter
&
Max J Guggenheimer
Reside in the Lynchburg area and possibly may have knowledge of the original Beale Papers purpose.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs Gorham B Walker Jr
Peter O Ward Jr
William B Hutter
&
Max J Guggenheimer
Reside in the Lynchburg area and possibly may have knowledge of the original Beale Papers purpose.

Thanks ECS. I will check them out later. I would like to find this diary of James Beverly Ward. I held it in my hands at one time. I only read one page and it was about Adeline, JBW's mother was about to lose her mind in St. Louis and she wanted to come back home to Lynchburg. I wish I had took enough time to read it all.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel KGC, My good friend, we need to find descendants of James Beverly Ward. We need to find out if there is any journals or diaries. I know James Beverly Ward had a diary. I do not know however if it was James Beverly Ward, Sr. or James Beverly Ward, Jr. James Beverly Ward, Jr. was killed in a hunting accident in 1856 so I suspect the diary was James Beverly Ward, Sr. Now Peter Viemeister's wife should still have his papers and his books that were kept in a safe. We need to find this diary and see if he kept it during the 1880's or if there is anything that will tell us whether the Beale Papers were an actual story or fiction.

This is the only way this mystery is ever going to be solved. Rebel KGC, Old Friend, if you still have his wife's address or phone number or a new husband if she remarried please E-Mail them to me or send me a PM. I want to bring this Beale Treasure Mystery to an END that we all can live with. Myself I believe it was all just a book for sale to raise revenue for some event or for their own gain. Please find this information and get it to me. I know his wife and sons but I do not know where they are. Help Please.
Yo, "franklin"; I talked to a woman in Bedford, who knew PV's wife; she sold EVERYTHING! NOTHING is left... NOTHING; she wanted to start over & "fresh" with a guy she knew at her college, years ago. They got married & live in Salem, Va.; I do not have her new address, nor phone #. Son, BEN... (with PV), is in Mich. as an accountant, after graduating from VT.
PV MAY have found something, as they lived in Solar Ridge, PV's planned community in Bedford County, years ago. I have his book on it... he NEVER "said" that he found anything... BUT! The $$$$$$$$$$$ had to come from SOMEWHERE!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up...
The following two bumped posts present the best description on why the Beale Papers was a fictional dime novel.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
To deny the existence of the Beale Treasure is very hard to do especially when it challenges your intellect. Most people pursue the cypher codes because they believe they are intelligent enough to accomplish this feat.
They find that there actually was a Washington Hotel in Lynchburg, Va., that Robert Morriss was the proprietor even though years after Thomas J. Beale was to have been there. Other than these two facts and the fact of Robert Morriss' wife being Sarah Mitchell and the fact that James Beverly Ward did live near Lynchburg and there was a Job Printing Company. Other than these few facts none of the stories in Thomas J. Beale's letters can be verified.
The original letters have never been found and the author did not even give his name. The letters were signed TJB not Thomas J. Beale or the infamous Thomas Jefferson Beale, which no one has any proof of ever existed.
Sure grandfather James Beverly Risque had a duel with a Thomas Beale in Fincastle, Va. Beale left because of reprisals from family and went to New Orleans, then to Europe and then coming back and married the Governor's daughter, fought in the Battle of New Orleans then died in September, 1820. Not a man that could have buried a treasure in Bedford County, Virginia.
Then there was his young son, Thomas Beale, Jr. After his father's death he built the plantation home where his father passed away. He kept up two hotels and raised produce on the plantation. He did good business up until the later end of 1822 when his health started down hill like his father's and he passed away in 1823. So neither of these two Thomas Beale's had anything to do with burying of a treasure in Bedford County, Virginia.

Since, now all we have is the story itself printed in what has become known as the Job Print Pamphlet or the Beale Papers, copyrighted in 1884 and published in 1885.
Only a few copies sold and James Beverly Ward told Clayton Hart in 1903 that most of the pamphlets had burned in a fire at the Printing Press Office. Well the Print Office burned in 1883 a full year before the copyright and over two years before the publication.

So now we have to fall back on the content of the Job Print Pamphlet and what exactly the un-named author said and did. He said by accident he broke the code paper marked number 2 by using a copy of the DOI which he numbered and placed in the pamphlet as proof of his work. Now if you go and decipher C2 for yourself you will find amazingly that the un-named author made several and I do mean several mistakes in his decipherment. Do the decipherment of C2 before you even think about deciphering C1--the exact locality of the vault and C3 ----the names of his associates and to whom the shares of the treasure are to go to with their exact locations.

C2 will convince you that the story is made up by the un-named author. I wasted over fifty years on this STORY so please do not waste yours! But if you are still not convinced then you may continue to hunt and you may find another treasure in the process but there is no Thomas J. Beale Treasure buried in Bedford County, Virginia.
A very good summation, Franklin. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a good question I would like for someone to answer that wants to continue the search for a treasure that never existed.

The author was given the ironbox with the three cipher codes and the letters addressed to Robert Morriss. It seems from their contract that the author was to receive one half of Robert Morriss' share and that being a share of the treasure after it would be divided into 31 equal shares.

At that time the treasure was worth about $750,000 or about $25,000 a share and the other would have gotten one-half of that amount or about $12,500. With $12,500 at stake for the author why did he not seek out people that knew anything about a Thomas J. Beale staying in Lynchburg at the Washington Hotel or at Robert Morriss' home?
Why did he not enquire of others that could confirm Thomas J. Beale there were scores of people still living in 1862 that could confirm or deny a Thomas J. Beale.

Why did not this author go and talk to Paschal Buford and Francis Otey his wife, I mean the author had 23 years before publication and going to the public to solve this mystery and recover his $12,500.
The reason being the author conferred with no one was because the story is fabricated.
Think about it if you were the author. Would you work on these cipher codes that seemingly for a very long time had no "key" and could not be solved, would you not have sought out people that could confirm the story.
There were hundreds of people still living in Bedford County and in Campbell County and it the City of Lynchburg that could have confirmed this tall dark stranger.
Yet the author sat and worked on cipher codes until he was deprived of means of making a living. I do not believe it.

As for the mistakes I mentioned in the Job Print Pamphlet proves that the author did not work on these ciphers for 23 years and out of desperation now turned it over to the public in hopes that some poor deserving individual would find the "key" and recover the treasure.
Why worry about a "key", why worry about cipher codes, why did the author not talk to the people that could verify the story before driving his family in dire straits of poverty?
I believe it is really silly if anyone can believe that this far fetched story of a treasure ever existed in reality it is purely fabricated from books and local happenings.
Yes, I agree with you, and have stated many times that the events and people mentioned in the Beale Papers were all connected to Ward's grandfather Risque's extended family and Ward's wife, Harriet Emmeline Otey, extended family which included the Bufords and Sarah Mitchell Morris, wife of Robert Morris.
James Beverly Ward does seem to be the "unknown author" with possible impute from his wife and Hutter cousins, but uses "agent" for the author as away to avoid legal complications from descendants whose names were mentioned in the pamphlet.
The impetus for the writing of the Beale tale was Ward was in dire financial straights, and 50 cents a copy was equivalent to $14.13 in today's money- that was a princely amount for 1885 Lynchburg.
As for the "unsolved unsolvable" ciphers, a parlor entertainment for those who purchased the pamphlet.
If it were not for George L Hart contacting Pauline Innis about the Beale perilous adventure story, this ephemeral pamphlet would have been long forgotten.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... The Job Print Pamphlet or the Beale Papers is nothing but a good story that has come back to life by Pauline Innis and earlier by the Hart Brothers.
The story I now believe is fiction and James B. Ward did it for the money...
The Beale treasure story is NOT forgotten because of Pauline Innis's ", Gold In The Blue Ridge", Argosy article, all the other treasure magazine articles, and those who have written additional versions to the story like the Claudine Fulton Ellis story on why the "key letter" was never delivered to Robert Morriss-
just more fiction added to the original fiction.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
.... By the way the whole story about all the characters in the Job Print Pamphlet are not thoroughly researched in the Pamphlet you have to find all of that information by research and more research.
The only research needed concerns IF the Beale perilous adventure ever occurred outside of the pamphlet's pages.
Researching the genealogy of the "characters" and their relatives and descendants really adds nothing whatsoever as conformation of the presented Beale tale but an anecdotal footnote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread