PROVEN TO MYSELF THE BEALE TREASURE IS A STORY MADE UP

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, an empty hole...then it's been found? Franklin...where is this hole ( "ground depression" )? Can you say?

Yes, I can say. It is in my copyrighted pamphlet 1990 and it is on my CD book. I have posted it's location on several occasions. You go four miles north up Goose Creek. If you know where the land is that Clayton Hart purchased on the East side go up about three landowner's properties between Jimmy Luck's old diary farm (he doesn't own today) and the property of Sanford Bower you go up stream on the property between those two properties and the depression is on a flat rise across the branch behind an old maple stump. I do not know the present landowner's name but he lives in Roanoke. It is across Goose Creek and a little above the Walnut Grove Church. The old road can be found under the Walnut Grove Church ( it is a depressed road today about thirty feet deep) follow it across State Road 695 and go up the branch and you will find it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up. There may be a treasure out there for someone to find or you may luck up on another treasure while searching for the Beale Treasure. So you can keep searching if you want to but take warning of the authors words about using the time only that you can spare because I can for a fact say the Beale Treasure does not exist.

I total believe the story, but, since it is not in Connecticut, I am not looking for it. Good hunting and good luck.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the Beale story (true or false, I cannot say), TJB was a young man. This, for me, puts to rest any notion of him being Thomas Beale sr. of New Orleans. I don't think that Thomas Beale jr's dying at the Planter's Hotel in New Orleans necessarily means he wasn't the TJB of the story. I'm not saying that jr. is our man, but it's not impossible that he had been elsewhere before his death in New orleans. We just don't have a chronological map of where people were and when.
Franklin has posted lore that Thomas Beale attended the wedding of Ebenezer Nelms in 1826 at the Peaks Presbyterian Church. So that rules out the New Orleans Thomas Beales.
Also is claimed that Nelms killed George Radar Brugh and companion who allegedly carried the letter from St Louis from Beale to Morriss., and said letter remained hidden in a family Bible at Roanoke's Blackhorse Tavern.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found documents signed by Thomas Beale Register of Wills on August 22, 1820. Then on September 2, 1820, the Judge of the Court signed for Thomas Beale, Register of Wills. Then on September 15, 1820, Martin Blache, Assitant Register of Will was made the Register of Wills and that could have been a few days earlier. So between Sept. 2nd and Sept. 15 Thomas Beale was replaced or died and the New Orleans Newspaper had an obituary for Thomas Beale on Sept. 9th, 1820. This was the Thomas Beale from Botetourt County with the flourish handwriting that signed deeds and was a surveyor. So there is no way this Thomas Beale could be our man that buried the Beale Treasure in 1819 and 1821.

As the probate court in 1824 for Thomas Beale. This was not for Thomas Beale, Sr. as believed by Jean Laf. Jean Laf quoted that Thomas Beale Sr. signed everything over to Thomas Beale, Jr. and that is exactly what he did. Since he sold everything to Thomas Beale Jr. there was no need for a Probate Trial. I have documented proof that the 1824 Probate Court Case was for Thomas Beale Jr. Moses Cox was the Administrator for Thomas Beale, Jr. and it says that Thomas Beale, Jr. died at the Planter's Hotel. This ties up this to a dead end as for the father Thomas Beale, Sr. and the son Thomas Beale, Jr. as being the Thomas Beale that buried a treasure in Bedford County, Virginia. So now is the Story true or is it made up for profit? I believe the entire Job Print Pamphlet is nothing but a story made up.
Who was the Thomas Beale that was at Nelms's 1826 wedding and is he or Nelms related to the Beale Papers story?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up. There may be a treasure out there for someone to find or you may luck up on another treasure while searching for the Beale Treasure. So you can keep searching if you want to but take warning of the authors words about using the time only that you can spare because I can for a fact say the Beale Treasure does not exist.
Yet on my thread about James Beverly Ward you lambasted me for posting the same "unknown authors" disclaimer warning.
It has been noticed that you change positions and facts from thread to thread.
On some, like this one you started, you the Beale story is made up, on others you piece unrelated random facts and claim the story true, on another you state you solved the ciphers that led you a 12'-15' empty hole with iron pots laying about and discovered two coins dated 1820.
While posting all these ever changing conflicting positions, you insult others whose research and information doesn't meet with your approval, or sometimes it seems because you do not like the poster.
Just as I am not the end all authority on the Beale Papers, neither are you.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The story is very true.
Which one? There have been several variations on the theme.
The original 1885 version? The Hart brothers and Innis version? Claudine Fulton Ellis version? The Thomas Read massacre version?
NOTE: Everything that is known about the alleged Beale perilous adventure and treasure originated from Ward's copyrighted 1885 Beale Papers, NOWHERE ELSE.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
With the lack of even the slightest bit of collaboration evidence outside of the Beale Papers narrative text and all the local and family references made in the "authentic statements" it becomes obvious that the Beale Papers was a dime novel with parlor entertainment ciphers sold for profit in the localized Lynchburg market.
Well I read/heard from SEVERAL sources that it was a "fund-raiser" for families of dead firemen killed in the devastating fire of 1883 in L'burg, Va. THAT is where the "confusion" came from about copies of the "JOB PRINT" being destroyed by fire; sorta like the game of TELEPHONE. Get ppl in a circle; 1st person whispers the message... then LAST person reveals the message; USUALLY different from the ORIGINAL message... heh.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Very possibly a Freemason fundraiser with the involvement of Max Guggenheimer, who was known to institure these events...
...and he was the only living person at the time of publication mentioned in the Beale Papers. :icon_thumright:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I believe the entire Job Print Pamphlet is nothing but a story made up.
With the total and complete lack of outside evidence that can collaborate anything in the Job Print Pamphlet narrative, be it the Beale Party's perilous adventure and treasure, the letters on which the Beale story is based, the hearsay account of Morriss revealing the story to the "unknown author" , and of this "unknown author" bringing the finished manuscript to James Beverly Ward, I agree with your statement that it "was nothing but a story made up".

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The original 1885 version? The Hart brothers and Innis version? Claudine Fulton Ellis version? The Thomas Read massacre version?
NOTE: Everything that is known about the alleged Beale perilous adventure and treasure originated from Ward's copyrighted 1885 Beale Papers, NOWHERE ELSE.
Which ONE?!!! You forgot Peter Viemeister's LAST book on the Beale Treasure... CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit; a NOVEL FACTION... FICTION based on FACTS (like the "JOB PRINT"). He even wrote about this in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY. Even the "JOB PRINT" is FACTION, fiction based on FACTS... TRUE, AUTHENTIC Tales of REAL Adventures up to @ 1882 or so. CSA Treasury (WESTERN portion - Virginia) & Richmond "Stores" for L'burg, Va. State Capital of VIRGINIA, April 7-10, 1865. I MAY have "posted" this elsewhere; a plaque in Old City Cemetery off of 5th Street here in L'burg, Va. indicate that the BEALE TREASURE is buried in OCC; PROBABLY the Richmond "Stores" from the Banks of Virginia from Richmond, etc. for L'burg, Va.; state capital of VIRGINIA, April 7-10, 1865. Plaque is "on-line"...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
One version I forgot to mention is the Revolutionary War variation.
Probably due to the mention of Virginia Revolutionary War heroes, Col Issac Coles and Capt William Witcher as "Amongst his guests and devoted personal friends" in reference to Robert Morriss in the Beale Papers, someone created a "Beale treasure story" that fit that time period.
In this version, after the Battle of Yorktown, the two Duolley brothers snuck into the British camp stole the personal trunk of British General Cornwallis that was filled with gold from his field command tent, and carried it back to Bedford county, where they buried it.
The story, of course, continues into the present day, as Duolley descendants had a helicopter tour service in Bedford county and employed it in their search for Cornwallis's truck of gold that their ancestors buried but NEVER dug up.

All these variations that are unrelated from the original 1885 Beale story published by Ward, be it the Cornwallis, Read massacre, or the murder of Brugh and the missing "letter", all appear to be products of creative speculation sprung forth from one's imagination, because, as with the original Beale Papers, there exists NO outside evidence that can prove these events occurred, only the word of the one telling the version.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ah, YES... I REMEMBER THAT! Dooley Bros.; Carl Overstreet (heliocopter) died last year (RIP). New London, West of Lynchburg, Va. was "Brit". In the mountains near Liberty (Bedford City), Cornwallis' Chest was rumored to be buried near where Brit sympathizers lived, they had a small community... more later.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That small community was Charlemont, at the base of No Business Mountain, near Big Island, Va. on Rt. 122; the "saying" was... "You have NO BUSINESS, being on that mountain!"; heh. ANYWAY, The Brits & Irish settled in that area, & according to BEDFORD VILLAGES: LOST & FOUND, "It is assumed its name came from Lord Charlemont, an Irish stateman, and so named by many English & Irish who settled the area". (p. 51). CHARLEMONT; PG. 51-59. NOTHING on Lord Cornwallis' Chest, tho... heard/read THAT info from other sources in Bedford City/County Library in the REFERENCE SECTION.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I don't believe it as I also heard/read that Lord Cornwallis' Chest was buried in the mountains above Yorktown, Va.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found tons of information and research that will dispel the Beale Papers one way or the other...
...and still you post questionable genealogy connections of families and events unrelated to Ward's "unknown author's" Beale story.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and still you post questionable genealogy connections of families and events unrelated to Ward's "unknown author's" Beale story.

Question all you want ECS, do your own research. By the way the whole story about all the characters in the Job Print Pamphlet are not thoroughly researched in the Pamphlet you have to find all of that information by research and more research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread