A "Reasonable" Theory

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if that scenario is true, then the treasure would be from Richmond during the Civil War. I know they used a word or two for their codes. They never used a document and numbering the words. So there must be another explanation. The Virginia State Treasury was in Lynchburg during the end of the Civil War. I can find nothing saying they ever took it back to Richmond?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now let me make something perfectly clear because I know you're probably wondering, "do I think there was a treasure and that the story is real?" This is where ECS and I differ, my belief being that I think there is fair chance that the author thought it was real, though to what actual events I can only guess.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if that scenario is true, then the treasure would be from Richmond during the Civil War. I know they used a word or two for their codes. They never used a document and numbering the words. So there must be another explanation. The Virginia State Treasury was in Lynchburg during the end of the Civil War. I can find nothing saying they ever took it back to Richmond?

I would say that if the scenario is accurate then so are the dates (time frame) in the publication, as this would be required if the true purpose was to actually make contact with some unknown person who had knowledge of the events. I think the reference to the Civil War and 1862 are just as they are presented, the time period when the author first gained knowledge of the events. This, as ECS has pointed out, perhaps also another subtle confession from the author that he was active in the military with the Richmond Howitzers in 1862, maybe this being "the important business affairs" the author referenced?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ward himself could have had business affairs in Richmond. He was a Major in the Quartermasters Corp. Usually a ranking member such as he, if a treasure was to be hidden, he would be the man to cancel the treasure and hid it. That is how I believe JBW got through all of his debts and business transactions. At one time over $8,000 in debt. He lost his farm but not actually losing it as they retained it up until the late 1940's to early 1950's.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
One other possibility is that Ward "during the 2nd year of the Confederate War" when he was in Richmond joining the Dove Lodge that he encountered the RICHMOND HOWITZERS and the future Alderman of Jackson Ward, freeborn of color, Thomas J Beale and used his description in the Beale Papers.
A writer is at his best when he writes what he knows.
As I have mentioned before, events and locations from Ward's Risqué extended family appear in veiled reference throughout the Beale Papers beginning with James Beverly Risqué duel with Thomas Beale over niece Julia Hancock who married William Clark, to his and his Hutter and Kennerly cousins stay in St Louis, his wife being born and raised 4mi from Bufords and her relation to Robert and Sarah Morris, E F Beale's journal, Poe's works, and Shakespeare of which he had access from his father's, Giles Ward, bookstore, his and his Hutter cousins use of Confederate codes, to his great uncle, John Pickerell Risqué being massacred by Indians in Arizona while inspecting gold and silver mines.
Far too many subtle family references to be coincidental.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We shall see. I believe if a treasure is to be found it will be at Hunter's Hill, if Confederate Gold. It will be found at "Roslin" if it is the "Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant of God."

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, before anyone can run off with illusions of an actual treasure one must first figure out if there is any possible truth behind the tale? Until this is done then none of that other stuff even comes into play. So allow me to suggest/ask something that may or may not help in clearing some of the mystery up?

In pre-civil war era Virginia, what legally established a free man of color? I mean, it seems to me that there had to be something official in determining this, yes? So, per example, in the case of the TJB of Richmond, what established that he was indeed a legal free man of color? And could this train of thought eventually lead to his parents?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops... I am no longer the lurker. :)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! I had a long "Reply/Response" but got "kicked off", so I will do it tomorrow, & "break it down" a
bit. It has to do with L/burg, Va. being the state capital of VIRGINIA, April 6-11, 1865; April 6th was "moving day" & April 7th-10th, 1865 was CSA Gov't "Operations Days. Later, TOMORROW.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
VST was buried in Old City Cemetery on 5th Street, as part of the BEALE TREASURE; it was part of the "Richmond Stores", that L'burg, Va. needed as VIRGINIA state capital... April 6th-10th, 1865. April 6th was "moving day" & April 7th-10th, 1865 was CSA Gov't "operations days"... MORE, tomorrow!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In pre-civil war era Virginia, what legally established a free man of color?
I mean, it seems to me that there had to be something official in determining this, yes?
So, per example, in the case of the TJB of Richmond, what established that he was indeed a legal free man of color? And could this train of thought eventually lead to his parents?
This contains some information concerning the Freeborn of color in Virginia:
http://www.geneaology.com/articles/research/12-heing.html

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
VST was buried in Old City Cemetery on 5th Street, as part of the BEALE TREASURE; it was part of the "Richmond Stores", that L'burg, Va. needed as VIRGINIA state capital... April 6th-10th, 1865. April 6th was "moving day" & April 7th-10th, 1865 was CSA Gov't "operations days"... MORE, tomorrow!
A "little" bit of FUN Facts of HISTORY... The Yanks were advancing towards L'burg, Va., the LAST state capital of Virginia with REBEL Officers like Maj. Ferdinand C. Hutter (CSA PAYMASTER) & others were "stationed"; "FC" (being from the area, originally) was very comfortable "being home", even tho, the Yanks had Gen. Lee "trapped" in Appomattox; Gen. Lee surrendered to Yank US Grant on April 9th, 1865. Confederate Treasury for the WESTERN portion of Virginia was loaded onto PACKET BOATS like the Marshal (which also conveyed Gen. Stonewall Jackson's body to Lexington, Va. in 1863); the Marshal (PB) cut the trip short to Lexington, Va./VMI by going through the Marshal Tunnel on the James River, conveying CSA GOLD, SILVER, & JEWELRY donated to the "Cause" by "wealthy" CONFEDERATE ladies. Such was "converted" to $$$$$$$$$$$, which was used to re-build Lexington, Va. & VMI... burned to the ground, by the "cursed" Yank Black Dave Hunter. BTW, John W. Sherman, as a kid, witnessed the 1863 "event" at 9th Street Bridge, when L'burg, Va. still had the canal, next to the James River. As Jackson's body was being conveyed by THE MARSHAL, the Rebs & ppl of L'burg, Va. had a SOLEMN occasion with REBEL flags flying, REBEL Drummers & Pipers, for a final "send-off" to STONEWALL. MORE, later.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOPE; HH was WEST of L'burg, near New London, Va. Roslin is just a SHORT Street in L'burg, Va. down from Grace Street...
Roslin Street IS above some Tobacco Ware Houses, which MAY have been used as hospitals during the CONFEDERATE WAR. One Ware House fell down a year or so ago; several others have been "fixed" for current businesses along 12th Street; it is NICE to look at the top of the "Ridge" there, and wonder; PONDERING the Past...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a little research into the "possibilities" here's what I think "might" actually be the case in regards to the TJB of Richmond and his status as being a free man of color. It is very possible that his father was a white man and his mother of a different race. During the period, from what I have gathered so far, in the case of obtaining a "free man of color status" for children born from an interracial affair, this all fell upon the father and the child's established attachment to his Sir name. Many plantation owners/slave owners fathered children with their slaves, as we all know, but it was entirely up to the father/owner of the slaves/effected children to decide to pursue "free person of color status" for that child. What I can't find out is what was required in doing so?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I'll check it out. But to be honest with you, I was really hoping that someone knew all of those facts....:laughing7: Why don't you already have these answers for me? :laughing7:
If you read the article it is a complicated issue-freeborn, freeman, freedman.
I still find it curious that his parents are not listed, only that he was freeborn of color in Richmond City,1823.
Someone had to confirm this.
Either he was the son of a freeman of color, or the son of plantation owner who bestowed the freeborn designation.

He appears to have been educated, so where was he raised?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread